LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

On 7/22/2021 at 1:54 PM, Australia08 said:

Returned from Ice Lagoon tour about an hour ago. Viking takes you to the smaller of the two lagoons and in my opinion it is the prettiest. Our guide was knowledgeable and friendly. We had blue skies throughout the zodiac ride. High clouds moved in when we went to lunch. We had a tomato based soup and Icelandic cod with potatoes and coleslaw. We noticed several passengers roll their eyes when they were served the fish. Yes, on our three tours that included lunch we were served fish (salmon, ocean catfish, and today’s cod). But remember, we’re in Iceland!   All of the fish was super fresh and prepared properly. It bothered me to hear people grumpy about their lunches. 
Warning:  the bus trip to the lagoon was long, but the scenery was stellar. 

We finally reached home at 5:30 AM today, Sunday morning, and am catching up on a few pages of these threads.  We also did the glacier lagoon excursion and thought it was worth every penny.  The later departing groups had lunch first and we thought it deliciously fresh and tasty.  It was a quick affair and then time to don the survival suit.  The attire was bulky but plenty warm with a light jacket underneath.  When the high clouds and a bit of wind arrived, you could zip up the neck area to keep your neck and ears warm.  Don't plan to bring a bulky backpak on the Zodiac as there is no place to put it.  If it is on your back you will annoyingly bump your fellow passengers as you twist and turn to look sideways and in back of you.  It is a gravel and rocky path up and down a hill to get to the beach with a fairly steep finish on some loose rocks.  It is easy to get into the Zodiac as they pull the bow up on the rocky shore, you sit down and swing both of your legs into the boat.  The guide will hold you if you need to lean back in order to swing your legs up and over.  Being on the lake was spectacular and getting so close to the icebergs exciting.  As you zigzag through these floating ice monuments on your way to the glaciers edge, your guide will explain their different features and answer your questions.  The glacier calved 2 new icebergs while we were close.  Unfortunately we were turned away both times but just hearing the sound was exciting.  The drive was very long but we had comfort breaks both ways at different locations in Hofn, once at a lovely library and another at a visitor center.  The scenery along the drive was different, lovely and our guide, a retired teacher, was excellent.  On the way home we stopped at an overlook high above the beach below.  It was a beautiful but windy location.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Sr Sailor said:

And we are fully vaccinated.

Really smart move!  We have a few weeks before we fly (Aug 16) so I'm anxiously awaiting info from those flying in the next week or so.  I'm also glad to see the last few voyages go on without any issues.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 3:16 PM, Steve NH said:

Thank you so much for the info! We are going on this excursion. How cold was it? My husband doesn't eat fish unless it's lobster, scallops or clams, preferably fried, but he is going to on this trip!! 

It was predicted to be in the high 50's but mostly sunny and low wind.  We live in the Tropics and were not cold.  I doubt if there is a meal alternative as it was a small place, the food began arriving as soon as we sat down, and there was enough to eat with the soup, bread, potatoes and cold slaw without the fish.  They were closed for other then Viking business when we were there.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 8:11 AM, Clay Clayton said:

July 10-Sky

That is apparently the case. The only rough seas we had during our week aboard were on the day/evening we bypassed Heimaey and sailed directly to Reykjavik. I had figured it would be rougher in the north🤪

When we did a private tour of the Reyjkanes Peninsula on the way to the airport, we saw a huge ship which had broken in half and was tossed up on the shore outside of Grindavik.  Our guide said the South Coast is particularly vulnerable because there is no land south of Iceland until Antarctica to slow or stop weather.  

On 7/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, MarkTapley said:

Has anyone taken the Vok Baths excursion from Seydisfjordur?  One of the folks on our cruise (August 14, Sky) asked on our roll call thread.  I think the main concern is how accessible this excursion is for someone with mobility issues.  Thanks!

We loved this excursion.  The drive was beautiful as it was nice to drive up and over the snowy table top mountains that we saw from water or ship level.  As far as mobility issues, there was a slight incline to walk down to the building from the bus but the building itself was one level.  There are ramps with handrails to get in and out of first pool, we did not go into the second one, and the third and hottest pool had wide steps with a handrail.  The biggest problem was the ramps in the first pool were very slippery and you really had to hold on tight to the handrail as you walked.  It was necessary to go though the first pool to get to any of the others.  Once in and out of the first pool it was easy to walk to each of the others.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:25 AM, worldtraveler1234 said:

Trying not to confuse the issue but on our return flight to USA the check in at United was the only place that asked for the required PCR test. Nobody asked for it in USA. I think that it is the airlines responsibility to ensure compliance.  

The same thing happened with us on Icelandair. We had to read, check, sign and date a form where we certified we had a negative PCR test upon departure from Keflavik Airport.  However when we arrived in JFK, we had the test in hand but the agent did not look at it.  

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

We finally reached home at 5:30 AM today, Sunday morning, and am catching up on a few pages of these threads.  We also did the glacier lagoon excursion and thought it was worth every penny.  The later departing groups had lunch first and we thought it deliciously fresh and tasty.  It was a quick affair and then time to don the survival suit.  The attire was bulky but plenty warm with a light jacket underneath.  When the high clouds and a bit of wind arrived, you could zip up the neck area to keep your neck and ears warm.  Don't plan to bring a bulky backpak on the Zodiac as there is no place to put it.  If it is on your back you will annoyingly bump your fellow passengers as you twist and turn to look sideways and in back of you.  It is a gravel and rocky path up and down a hill to get to the beach with a fairly steep finish on some loose rocks.  It is easy to get into the Zodiac as they pull the bow up on the rocky shore, you sit down and swing both of your legs into the boat.  The guide will hold you if you need to lean back in order to swing your legs up and over.  Being on the lake was spectacular and getting so close to the icebergs exciting.  As you zigzag through these floating ice monuments on your way to the glaciers edge, your guide will explain their different features and answer your questions.  The glacier calved 2 new icebergs while we were close.  Unfortunately we were turned away both times but just hearing the sound was exciting.  The drive was very long but we had comfort breaks both ways at different locations in Hofn, once at a lovely library and another at a visitor center.  The scenery along the drive was different, lovely and our guide, a retired teacher, was excellent.  On the way home we stopped at an overlook high above the beach below.  It was a beautiful but windy location.

Thank you so much.  I'm really excited about this adventure. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:35 PM, carld said:

I have a question about downloading your vaccination information to Verifly.  On my CDC vaccination card it shows my name and the dates of my 2 Moderna shots on the front of the CDC card.  On my wife's card it shows the first shot information on the front of the card and the second shot information on the back of the card.  If I try to download a photo of her card it will only show one shot unless I can download 2 photos (front and back of the card).  Has anyone else had this situation and is it a potential problem? 

Can you return to the facility which gave you the shots and ask them to properly fill out another card for you? The back sides of our CDC cards say Reminder!  Return for second dose with a line for the second appointment date.  The front of the card has boxes and lines for 1st and 2nd Dose and Other clearly indicated.  I personally would be concerned how yours is filled out.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Can you return to the facility which gave you the shots and ask them to properly fill out another card for you? The back sides of our CDC cards say Reminder!  Return for second dose with a line for the second appointment date.  The front of the card has boxes and lines for 1st and 2nd Dose and Other clearly indicated.  I personally would be concerned how yours is filled out.

I took a photo of the other side of the card and then combined the photo with the first side and downloaded it to Verifly and they accepted it so all is good.  Just one of many steps completed to get to Iceland. 

carl

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Now I'm curious again.  Viking Star is now headed to Reykjavik, currently in the vicinity of the Shetland Islands.  She's expected to be in Reykjavik on Tuesday (27th) according to Marine Traffic.  Is she just keeping all the moveable parts on the ship moving, ferrying more packages, or what?  

We were told by one of our Viking guides on an excursion in Seydifjordur that the Star is bringing additional covid vaccines to finish off any crew and vacinate those locals in town who still have not gotten their jab yet.

• Like 3

Here are the the Iceland Government directives for visiting Iceland (valid from 7-27-2021) (from clicking the "Pre-register Here" box at the visit.covid.is website.

1. "All travellers are required to fill out the pre-registration before arrival."
  2. For those who are fully vaccinated or previously infected - "need to present a negative PCR or antigen test upon arrival that is not more than 72 hours old at boarding."
  3. "If a traveller is arriving on a connecting flight then the 72 hours are counted from boarding of the first flight. This can be demonstrated with the boarding pass from the first leg."

Any deviation from the above would be a third party (i.e. Airlines or Viking) requirement. You could challenge them but if they do not budge, you can be denied boarding for not having "the appropriate certificates".

Regarding the name, all I found is that the name on the travel document to Iceland should be the same as in other documents. Only Natural Habitat Adventures said "First name and last name (same as in travel documents)."

Hopefully, this will help your preparation for your Viking Iceland cruise. As we are planning trips to other countries, we find that the above directives will not be valid for visiting destination such as Japan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

The drive was very long but we had comfort breaks both ways at different locations in Hofn, once at a lovely library and another at a visitor center. 

We stopped at the library both times -- and there was a line each time. Nice clean facility. Many thanks to the town for letting us use it.

FYI, there is a mini-mart right next door, across the parking lot. For us, it was on the opposite side of the building from where we entered.

3 hours ago, carld said:

I took a photo of the other side of the card and then combined the photo with the first side and downloaded it to Verifly and they accepted it so all is good.  Just one of many steps completed to get to Iceland. 

carl

Long before VeriFLY, I had already scanned my 2-sided vax certificate and saved it as a pdf. VeriFLY accepted the pdf.

Jupiter July 27

Flying out Monday night. We took the PCR test at the CVS drive-thru on Saturday and got our results 37 hours later. I imagine the timing depends on the lab they use and how busy they are, but we’re so relieved to have that item checked off!

Edited by Jaea
corrected month
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

The same thing happened with us on Icelandair. We had to read, check, sign and date a form where we certified we had a negative PCR test upon departure from Keflavik Airport.  However when we arrived in JFK, we had the test in hand but the agent did not look at it.  

Same with us. Only Delta looked at the PCR test results - no one in the US. 

July 20 Jupiter

On our way directly to Reykjavik - bypassing Heimae (sp) due to high waves & wind.  It was to be a tendered port but the projected 10 foot swells would make getting on the tenders impossible.

Due into Reykjavik around 4pm.  This makes for a liesurely day of packing for the departure tomorrow morning at 5:45.

8 hours ago, Jaea said:

Jupiter July 27

Flying out Monday night. We took the PCR test at the CVS drive-thru on Saturday and got our results 37 hours later. I imagine the timing depends on the lab they use and how busy they are, but we’re so relieved to have that item checked off!

I got a Covid test in Key Largo at the CVS Minute Clinic on a Saturday at 11 am and received my results on Sunday at 2 pm.

We fly Icelandair a week from tonight.  Today we received something from them (email) providing information. I skimmed it, but haven't read the whole thing (with a few links) yet.  But if you're on Icelandair next week, you may want to look for it in your email. It mentions a PCR test but doesn't say definitely whether it's required to fly - unless it's in one of the links when you drill down.   

trhattan, are you on a 9:30 or so flight, with Viking transfers?  I'm just wondering when we might need to get up for our return trip to KEF.

Just for fun, here's a screenshot of the Sky, plus some Viking folks getting on the little boat to Vigur Island (from Isafjordur).  I'm jealous. 

isa boat trip Viking fr neigh pier.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Australia08 said:

Same with us. Only Delta looked at the PCR test results - no one in the US. 

The responsibility of checking whether or not a passenger has a negative PCR test result is imposed on the airlines. Since it had been checked at KEF, there is no need to check again when you arrive at a US airport. 

At KEF in Iceland, since Iceland and not the airline needs to scan your Iceland's per-registration bar code, you will not need to show the bar code to the airline agents at the US airport counter.

No one has asked for the VERIFY passport. You have to have your picture taken again at the Iceland Concert Hall when you get your room key card during the Viking check in.

Anyway, if you get everything in order, you will have a wonderful voyage. Start hoping for good Iceland weather.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BrynMawrPA said:

Here are the the Iceland Government directives for visiting Iceland (valid from 7-27-2021) (from clicking the "Pre-register Here" box at the visit.covid.is website.

1. "All travellers are required to fill out the pre-registration before arrival."
  2. For those who are fully vaccinated or previously infected - "need to present a negative PCR or antigen test upon arrival that is not more than 72 hours old at boarding."
  3. "If a traveller is arriving on a connecting flight then the 72 hours are counted from boarding of the first flight. This can be demonstrated with the boarding pass from the first leg."

Any deviation from the above would be a third party (i.e. Airlines or Viking) requirement. You could challenge them but if they do not budge, you can be denied boarding for not having "the appropriate certificates".

Regarding the name, all I found is that the name on the travel document to Iceland should be the same as in other documents. Only Natural Habitat Adventures said "First name and last name (same as in travel documents)."

Hopefully, this will help your preparation for your Viking Iceland cruise. As we are planning trips to other countries, we find that the above directives will not be valid for visiting destination such as Japan.

Thank you so much for posting this.  Where did you find it?  I have been searching and calling for a week and have not been able to find anything in writing that is this specific. It is still difficult since we fly out on Monday and arrive in Iceland Tuesday as getting results within the time frame on a weekend is a challenge.  If tested Friday afternoon will we have results Monday morning?

26 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I got a Covid test in Key Largo at the CVS Minute Clinic on a Saturday at 11 am and received my results on Sunday at 2 pm.

Test results via email or on Iphone?  Will either do for boarding?

24 minutes ago, BrynMawrPA said:

The responsibility of checking whether or not a passenger has a negative PCR test result is imposed on the airlines. Since it had been checked at KEF, there is no need to check again when you arrive at a US airport. 

At KEF in Iceland, since Iceland and not the airline needs to scan your Iceland's per-registration bar code, you will not need to show the bar code to the airline agents at the US airport counter.

No one has asked for the VERIFY passport. You have to have your picture taken again at the Iceland Concert Hall when you get your room key card during the Viking check in.

Anyway, if you get everything in order, you will have a wonderful voyage. Start hoping for good Iceland weather.

VeriFLY info is send directly to Viking via VeriFLY. After I got the ready to travel message on VeriFLY, I called Viking to see if they got the approval and they immediately verified that they had received it. This was about 2 weeks before we flew in. So Viking won’t ask to see if as long as you received the ready to travel notice (that means it was delivered to them)