LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

5 hours ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Just saw notification that independent tours are not allowed. Not happy but was able to pick up a couple of ship tours that were still available. 

arctic shorex has not be notified by viking that they are no allowing independant

this is not a rule of iceland it is a viking rule

they will probably let boats that are out finish and then keep the rest of us in a bubble ....

1 hour ago, Seaharvest said:

We were on Delta when we flew. We were on the 7:30 pm flight. The plane started to board at 6:30. We flew out of Terminal 1, gate F8. I am not sure which gate we landed at when we arrived at MSP but it was Delta’s domestic terminal. It was a long walk but we knew we had plenty of time ( more than 2 hours) so walked it before getting on the plane for that long flight. 

Thank you for this valuable information.  I have ordered wheelchair assistance from Delta so hopefully they will remember and wheel me from Terminal to Terminal.  We are scheduled to land from Tampa at 3:15 pm and was hoping there was food service in terminal.  Did you see any restaurants near the gates?

1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

Thank you for this valuable information.  I have ordered wheelchair assistance from Delta so hopefully they will remember and wheel me from Terminal to Terminal.  We are scheduled to land from Tampa at 3:15 pm and was hoping there was food service in terminal.  Did you see any restaurants near the gates?

I am from St. Paul . MSP airport is terminal 1 All Delta flights are from there. It has long concourses , but with wheelchair assistance you will be fine. Yes there are restaurants , sit down and fast food for pick up and go in the main area of terminal and in all concourses . 

2 hours ago, Triptkr said:

For those currently onboard Sky and Jupiter...are you able to go off on your own when on shore?  Wondered when exactly the 'bubble' will be activated. 

TIA

Live from Sky 

Independent touring permitted today (Thursday) no mention of any changes. Will report if anything changes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

There were plenty of shops and food services in the airport. Delta served a meal on our flight with complimentary wine and alcohol. We didn’t eat onboard so can’t tell you what they served

15 hours ago, minka34 said:

I believe that we did not get the certificate because the trip into the artic circle happens between Akureyri and Seydisfjordur.  We sped to get to Seydisfjordur early so the captain would be able to negotiate any problems with authorities there. 

I would question receiving about receiving the certificate. On the July 17 Viking Sky sailing we crossed twice and received the certificate. 1st night was between Isafjordur and Akureyi, and the next night (2nd) was between Akureyri and Seydisfjordur.

2 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

There were plenty of shops and food services in the airport. Delta served a meal on our flight with complimentary wine and alcohol. We didn’t eat onboard so can’t tell you what they served

Thank you for your reply.  We do not get food from TPA to MSP but we are supposed to get a meal on MSP to KEF.  I imagine we will be hungry when we arrive from TPA.  Are you permitted to take sandwiches on airlines today?  I know the rules have changed.   I haven't flown in years as I have been cruising since EAL went out of business and husband lost his position and we lost pass riding privileges.

16 hours ago, minka34 said:

Our attendant rang the bell for our tubes at 8am - waited if they weren't ready!  not quite as pleasant as your experience.  

I believe that we did not get the certificate because the trip into the artic circle happens between Akureyri and Seydisfjordur.  We sped to get to Seydisfjordur early so the captain would be able to negotiate any problems with authorities there.  I'm glad that we were able to go ashore as planned, so didn't care as much about crossing into the circle.  Highly recommend to book your next Viking adventure for "Into the Midnight Sun" - you'll get the full crossing ceremony!

It has been 8:30 for saliva collection for us on Jupiter, deck 3 starboard side (with Isa, attendant).  He knocks lightly to ask us if we're done.  We always are.  

Today we woke up to the most beautiful sight out our veranda door.  All I could keep saying was "OMG, OMG."  Grabbed the camera. We are on starboard side.)

• Like 2

JUPITER live.  715 plus on board, over 400 previous Viking cruisers.   Woke up to a gorgeous view of Isafjordur fjord mountain on startboard side, docked some time ago apparently.  Did the Vigur Island tour at 10, excellent as previously reported, but I had to wait 15 minutes and give up my cake and coffee to get a puffin shot on the rocks near the windmill.  It's getting late in the season and it was not windy and not perfect condtions and possibly a little late for puffins to grab those fish and go sit on the rocks.  But I'm thrilled.  And there were still tons of puffins in the water, just hard to view as they're tiny.  Rocky and a lot of standing and walking on the island, but awesome guide (Felicity, look for other posts about her accomplishments.  Sat on outside of boat, nice, and good for photography, but hard to hear the West Tours guide as she narrated inside.  Stand at the door if you want to hear about Felicity, many interesting facts about Vigur, etc.  Don't worry about being late for the boat back ......they ring a bell.  You also see eider ducks, Artic terns, other birds, a small windmill, historical boat, etc.  Great tour.

Also did the included tour.  Didn't expect much because some people had reported is was a little bit lame.  But it was pretty good, especially if you like photography and fishing, etc.  Guide was an American turned Icelander from Virginia.  She was great.    Spouse went on the Turf Farm tour, said it was "pretty good" and gave me a lot of info I hadn't gotten in my two excursions today.

Went to the past passenger party ...singers, hors d, drinks, introduction of a few folks.  Nice.  Watched sailaway but didn't see any whales.  But a few people did....Weather was great today, and water so very, very silky calm.  No wind.  Not blue skies all day, but hey, it's Iceland!

All's well; having a great time.  Taking so many pictures.  Gave someone a card he needed for his camera.  He told me his Nikon stopped yesterday so all he had was his wife's point and shoot with one card.  Ouch.  

Tomorrow is Akureyri.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Thank you for your reply.  We do not get food from TPA to MSP but we are supposed to get a meal on MSP to KEF.  I imagine we will be hungry when we arrive from TPA.  Are you permitted to take sandwiches on airlines today?  I know the rules have changed.   I haven't flown in years as I have been cruising since EAL went out of business and husband lost his position and we lost pass riding privileges.

Yes (preferably something very stinky for the enjoyment of your fellow passengers-think tuna fish salad, onion and liverwurst, perhaps an onion, garlic and Stilton 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A little more on Jupiter today:  Today there were maps of Isafjordur in the little tent after getting off the ship, right before you walk outside to the coaches.  If don't see them, ask around.  They have some on a table and more in a rack, kind of hidden.  No restrictions on walking, but if you take the included excursion offered by Viking you'll see some of the town and hear a lot about it.  Gangway is not steep; walking into town isn't very far, although I didn't actually do it.  (No time between 2 excursions!)

Lunch today outside at World Cafe was nice - very scenic and nice temperature outside, no wind. 

Chef's Table tonight was California Cuisine ...crabcake (not a Maryland style one, but I hear it was good), halibut, etc.  

Restroom near room 3059 is a riot ...don't be alarmed by grunting sounds, along with an occasional bird sound.  It's a bit weird until you figure what it is......and I could hear the chirping from the corrider!

Spouse used the washer and dryer today.

Snow grotto is closed due to Covid (tiny space).  I haven't been to the spa area or seen a production yet.  Cruise director Katy is very bubbly.  

Everyone's upbeat, complying with regs, awed by the beauty of Iceland, and very pleased with the service on the ship.  

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

A little more on Jupiter today:  Today there were maps of Isafjordur in the little tent after getting off the ship, right before you walk outside to the coaches.  If don't see them, ask around.  They have some on a table and more in a rack, kind of hidden.  No restrictions on walking, but if you take the included excursion offered by Viking you'll see some of the town and hear a lot about it.  Gangway is not steep; walking into town isn't very far, although I didn't actually do it.  (No time between 2 excursions!)

Lunch today outside at World Cafe was nice - very scenic and nice temperature outside, no wind. 

Chef's Table tonight was California Cuisine ...crabcake (not a Maryland style one, but I hear it was good), halibut, etc.  

Restroom near room 3059 is a riot ...don't be alarmed by grunting sounds, along with an occasional bird sound.  It's a bit weird until you figure what it is......and I could hear the chirping from the corrider!

Snow grotto is closed due to Covid (tiny space).  I haven't been to the spa area or seen a production yet.  Cruise director Katy is very bubbly.  

Everyone's upbeat, complying with regs, awed by the beauty of Iceland, and very pleased with the service on the ship.  

Did you find the elves in the elevator yet?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Live from Sky

Today we visited the ice lagoon and the sun shone. It was a great trip stunning coastal scenery on the way and great views of distant glaciers that just got closer and closer. 

Lagoon trip was great with close up encounters with ice bergs and we were plenty close enough to the face of the glacier. 

The blue skies and sunshine just made everything perfect. 

It could have been so different as we turned up to the meeting point at the wrong time. We were booked on the 08:30 departure (as confirmed on our final invoice a few days before departure)  but for some reason we were switched to the 8:00 an departure without being notified by Viking. I have been on enough trips to know I should double check these things but as you don’t see the next day’s Viking daily until you get back to your stateroom after dinner, drinks and a show, maybe details such as the particular code for a trip are not on the tip of my list of priorities. 

So initially we were told that we had missed the trip but they would give us a refund. This was fair but still disappointing as we really did want to do the trip but I acknowledge that we are reminded enough to check the tour code against the printed Viking Daily and not the Viking app or previous communications. 

Then we told that there was 9 of us in a similar situation as either going to the wrong meeting place or at the wrong time. They were trying to make arrangements  for us join the group later on the trip. Then we were told to board the tender about an hour after the first group was due to meet, which we should have been on. Waiting for us when we got off the tender were three local cars if various sizes who eventually took all the way to the Ice Lagoon to catch up with our group. 

So the two lessons are:

Always check your tour code on your tour ticket against the printed Viking daily and double check it again. 

And secondly, if Viking can they will do what they can to make sure you have a great trip. 

Room service snack on return to the ship followed by a late light meal in the World Cafe. The ship feels empty tonight, the other pax must be at the farewell shows with the captain. 

Looking forward to the rib trip tomorrow assuming we turn up at the right place at the right time. 

Tomorrow we need to check in online for our flights, fill out forms to get back into the UK and hopefully get our negative Covid test to show at the UK border. 

Another day, another form to fill in. 

Signing off from the Explorers Lounge……. Mr Bartender, another Black Russian please. 

TTFN

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes (preferably something very stinky for the enjoyment of your fellow passengers-think tuna fish salad, onion and liverwurst, perhaps an onion, garlic and Stilton 😂)

You won't believe this but these are among my favorite lunch foods.  Having tuna fish salad tomorrow night, put onions in/on everything, love liverwurst on pumpernickel bread and found Stilton on a trip to England years ago and added it to my list.  Yummy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just wait until you return home to Maryland.  Regs are ramping up daily.  Haven't had news on today so don't know what new they dropped on us.

42 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Sky

Today we visited the ice lagoon and the sun shone. It was a great trip stunning coastal scenery on the way and great views of distant glaciers that just got closer and closer. 

Lagoon trip was great with close up encounters with ice bergs and we were plenty close enough to the face of the glacier. 

It could have been so different as we turned up to the meeting point at the wrong time. We were booked on the 08:30 departure (as confirmed on our final invoice a few days before departure)  but for some reason we were switched to the 8:00 an departure without being notified by Viking. I have been on enough trips to know I should double check these things but as you don’t see the next day’s Viking daily until you get back to your stateroom after dinner, drinks and a show, maybe details such as the particular code for a trip are not on the tip of my list of priorities. 

So initially we were told that we had missed the trip but they would give us a refund. This was fair but still disappointing as we really did want to do the trip but I acknowledge that we are reminded enough to check the tour code against the printed Viking Daily and not the Viking app or previous communications. 

Then we told that there was 9 of us in a similar situation as either going to the wrong meeting place or at the wrong time. They were trying to make arrangements  for us join the group later on the trip. Then we were told to board the tender about an hour after the first group was due to meet, which we should have been on. Waiting for us when we got off the tender were three local cars if various sizes who eventually took all the way to the Ice Lagoon to catch up with our group. 

So the two lessons are:

Always check your tour code on your tour ticket against the printed Viking daily and double check it again. 

And secondly, if Viking can they will do what they can to make sure you have a great trip. 

Room service snack on return to the ship followed by a late light meal in the World Cafe. The ship feels empty tonight, the other pax must be at the farewell shows with the captain. 

Looking forward to the rib trip tomorrow assuming we turn up at the right place at the right time. 

Tomorrow we need to check in online for our flights, fill out forms to get back into the UK and hopefully get our negative Covid test to show at the UK border. 

Signing off from the Explorers Lounge……. Mr Bartender, another Black Russian please. 

TTFN

Black Russian, no wonder you didn't make it to the new tour time.  I gave those up 40 years ago.

• Haha 2

On 8/4/2021 at 3:50 PM, StuLaurie said:

Did anyone on the Jupiter get the certificate for the crossing?  We did not but was hoping too. The dailies did say that we crossed the Arctic Circle. 

We were on the July 20th Jupiter and did not get certificate, will have to check the Dailies.

23 hours ago, BarbRN said:

This isn’t clear. So is it warmer inside?  What do you recommend?

It is definitely warmer but I noticed that I'm much more comfortable if I use the cashmere wrap I brought. I just wrap it around my shoulders while having dinner and throughout the evening show. Some people were wearing cardigan and others just their tops without jackets/blazers. Safer to bring a cardigan or shawl just in case you need it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IheartNYC said:

It is definitely warmer but I noticed that I'm much more comfortable if I use the cashmere wrap I brought. I just wrap it around my shoulders while having dinner and throughout the evening show. Some people were wearing cardigan and others just their tops without jackets/blazers. Safer to bring a cardigan or shawl just in case you need it

1 hour ago, IheartNYC said:

10 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Snow grotto is not actually closed. It just doesn’t have snow. You can still go inside to cool off

11 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Sky

So the two lessons are:

TTFN

Thanks for all that essential information about timing !   I cannot believe that your cruise is coming to a close now.  All your posts have been very helpful and interesting.  Your neighbour Judith.    

1 hour ago, Jay23 said:

Thanks for all that essential information about timing !   I cannot believe that your cruise is coming to a close now.  All your posts have been very helpful and interesting.  Your neighbour Judith.    

Judith

It’s been a pleasure, we are in our last full day. Having a relaxing morning ahead of a high octane rib boat trip later today around the coast to see the local birds and where the eruption a few years ago lava flows entered the sea. Although some of these can viewed from our balcony it seems, but no doubt we will learn more later. 

We booked our day 2 return Covid PCR test a couple of days ago and this morning checked in for our return flight to London. We could then complete the UK Govt passenger locator forms. We needed to do it in that order as the form required the seat number on the return flight as well as the PCR test reference number. Hopefully the test pack will be waiting for us when we get back home. 

We hope you enjoy your trip as much as we have. It’s a pity you will not be able to wonder off on your own but honestly unless you wanted to explore Reykjavik on your own or fancied doing a hike in one of the more remote locations I am not sure it will detract too much from what has been a great trip for us. 

It has only rained once on the whole trip and whilst the sun has only made a few appearances a calm sea and no rain is what we would have settled for before leaving home. The sun shone beautifully yesterday at the glacial lagoon trip and also when we visited the sites inland at both Geysir and Lake Myvatn on different days. We hope you have good weather too. 

kind regards

Neil

• Like 3