Amex Platinum for Trip Cancellation Insurance

Roccaforte

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For long cruises, where our travel savvy credit cards’ trip coverage is insufficient to cover the full cost of cancellation (including all non-refundable costs), we will get a comprehensive policy with more focus on the trip cancel/interrupt limits rather than the medical and medevac.

We are fortunate that our Medicare supplement policies convert to regular coverage once outside the US and coordinate with GeoBlue. So, you’d think that “with GeoBlue and MedJet, why not just buy high limit trip interrupt/cancel coverage (since CC limits are inadequate for big ticket cruises)?”

Great idea, except - try and find that high limit, trip only policy with PEC waiver. 

You would think that product would be out there somewhere. 

Thanks for the tutorial.

5 hours ago, Riverroad said:

Thanks Pam. Is the insurance included with the Platinum annual fee or do you pay extra for it?

Included as part of the annual fee.

I usually am looking diligently over the included car rental coverage because we often rent cars for a day from a cruise ship port or most recently for a three - week DIY trip in France, Germany and Belgium.  (I think I still am recuperating from the speeds of cars, albeit gorgeous ones, in Germany.)

Edited by CintiPam

Oceania just quoted me $2300 for cancel for any reason insurance on a 12 day Med cruise for next May.  Does anyone else think this price is high?  We have MASA air transportation plus our credit card insurance.  I really don’t want to spend another 2K on insurance for 12 days. 
Your thoughts please.

Just now, workstocruise said:

Oceania just quoted me $2300 for cancel for any reason insurance on a 12 day Med cruise for next May.  Does anyone else think this price is high?  We have MASA air transportation plus our credit card insurance.  I really don’t want to spend another 2K on insurance for 12 days. 
Your thoughts please.

Too little info.

For a third party insurer like Natiowide or Traveler’s a regular comprehensive travel policy for folks mid-60s to early-70s would run 10%+/- of the total trip cost.*
Adding CFAR could increase that rate significantly. 
I suggest you get the policy specifics and call a broker like insuremytrip.com to do some comparison shopping.

BTW, it’s my understanding that even CFAR can have exclusions. 

*Is the O quote solely for the cruise or is it for your entire trip door-to-door? BIG difference. 

2 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

The O quote is just for the trip. The $2300 is 20% 

Call InsureMyTrip.com. But first, use their search engine to custom tailor various versions of what you think you need. Then chat with an agent about best fit. There’s no pressure to buy through them (and there’s no fees).

Two items regarding CC insurance. Claim limits are generally inadequate for longer O cruises (or higher level cabins) and, most often, they do not waive PECs.

23 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

Your thoughts please.

Shop around

Not everyone has the same  insurance needs

Have a conversation with the tripinsurance store 

1 hour ago, workstocruise said:

Thank you both for this info.  I will check with Insuremytrip and Nationwide.

Check with the broker(s) first because they will show you a comparison of companies (whereas Nationwide is a single insurer).

I like InsureMyTrip.com because their online search engine is the best of the bunch. And, if you prefer, once you’ve identified a “short list” of insurers, you can choose to book direct with  one (like Nationwide) or through a broker (like InsureMyTrip.com. In most cases, it’s the exact same policy with the same name at the same price. Occasionally though, the broker’s version will have a slightly different limit or some other factor that can be better than or not as good as the actual insurance company.

Think of the insurance brokers like TAs. They’ve got tremendous purchasing power and that comes in handy if problems arise.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Shop around

Not everyone has the same  insurance needs

Have a conversation with the tripinsurance store 

I highly recommend Tripinsurancestore.com. I have bought 3 policies from Steve there, and he is very responsive!

good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

I highly recommend Tripinsurancestore.com. I have bought 3 policies from Steve there, and he is very responsive!

good luck

This broker, along with another named “squaremouth.com” are worth a look. But, FWIW, InsureMyTrip.com has the best comparison search engine. Check them all out.