Demand Based Pricing and Sales are Back :)

One cruise we booked was supposedly on sale. What they did priced the cabin for 4 persons instead of 2 per person and then discounted it for a 1 person-rate, needless to say no sale whatsoever, was the same price as a single cabin would have been all along.

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I grabbed that GS for a JS price on a 14 day Baltic Cuise. Good times.

Love the Baltics. Headed back next summer. 

Should have been this summer, oh well

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

They're gonna charge what the market will bear regardless.

I'd take "very strong bookings" with a grain of salt. Very strong for what? Covid sales? For a 95% vaxx sailing? For a regular booking season?

It's like when I mock book a sailing and it tells me "345 people are looking at this itinerary right now!!!"
uh-huh

True. The “the strong bookings” can be based on anything. I think it’s a marketing ploy to get people to jump to book something while they can and the prices are high. It’s human nature to want something before it runs out. I think, but I could be wrong, that most people don’t know after you book you can look for price reductions before final payment. They are probably counting on that. If it wouldn’t have been for Cruise Critic I never would have known.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coldflame said:

Yup, if it wasn't for price, we'd sail DCL all the time. Nothing wrong with being value-driven. But there's a limit to that as well, of course, because if price was everything then that's how folks end up in Carnival. That's why I use "value-driven" as opposed to "price-driven".

Funny  because a few of the Royal cruises I've taken were actually less than Carnival. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, mek said:

Maybe the OP is like me.  I usually, (with a few exceptions), don't  care where I go and I will choose one itinerary over another based on price.  If there is suddenly a fantastic deal on Hawaii I might go there rather than somewhere else.  I also don't have any travel date restrictions, so that helps and I'm not picky about cabin location either. 

Yes.  I shop on minimal $/day for a decent ship.  So repositioning trips are perfect, or oddball routes.  The idea is to wake up at sea, with some money left.  The trip I found I'm not telling 🙂