Free at Sea Dining advice

simkoreb

Looking at taking my first Norwegian cruise on the Breakaway in Feb.  I know we are going to pass on the free drink offer as my husband doesn't drink and I only drink 1-2 a day.  There are 4 of us, probably in 1 balcony (we have done this before and it worked ok).  Anyway, there is another offer for dining when you book, called Free at Sea specialty dining.  I called and I believe the agent said it was 2 meals for the first 2 guests and I just pay gratuity .  Is it worth it?  Are there kids meals if they come, or are kids frowned on in the specialty dining rooms?  They will be 11 and 12 when we sail.  I'm just not familiar with Norwegian enough to know what to do.  Thanks in advance!  

Edited by simkoreb
shortened it for clarity

6 minutes ago, simkoreb said:

Is it worth it?

You can search for the menus and decide. If there are things that you would like, it's worth it. 

7 minutes ago, simkoreb said:

Are there kids meals if they come, or are kids frowned on in the specialty dining rooms? 

There is a fleet-wide complimentary kids' menu. Chicken tenders, mac-n-cheese, burgers, etc. 

Kids are welcome in all restaurants. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simkoreb said:

Looking at taking my first Norwegian cruise on the Breakaway in Feb.  I know we are going to pass on the free drink offer as my husband doesn't drink and I only drink 1-2 a day.  There are 4 of us, probably in 1 balcony (we have done this before and it worked ok).  Anyway, there is another offer for dining when you book, called Free at Sea specialty dining.  I called and I believe the agent said it was 2 meals for the first 2 guests and I just pay gratuity .  Is it worth it?  Are there kids meals if they come, or are kids frowned on in the specialty dining rooms?  They will be 11 and 12 when we sail.  I'm just not familiar with Norwegian enough to know what to do.  Normally we skip the specialty places, and go to the regular dining room as long as the food is decent (we are not picky eaters).  Anything I should know before trying to figure this out?  I have done specialty dining before we had kids and loved it, but not within the past 10 years!  Thanks in advance!  

The Specialty Dining Package promotion is worth it. You can eat appetizers, one entrée, and desserts with the package. 

Kids are very welcome in all dining rooms. The menus at most restaurants (except Teppanyaki) are a la cart, paying for each item ordered (like a restaurant at home). So the kids would probably need to have an entrée and dessert on their own. There is a free kids menu that they could order off of, but it is really for smaller kids. If they are "big eaters", then you should consider buying a 2-dinner package for each of them. And, your kids are actually old enough to go to the buffet and feed themselves, if absolutely necessary. 

image.thumb.png.995980b5552e7fc59ac16e6e43da9928.png

1 minute ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

I'm just saying that they would not eat off that menu while they watch us eat a filet.

Okay, but you asked if they could eat off the kids menu and I answered your question.

The 'specialty dining credit' includes an appetizer, main course and dessert, usually from a sub-set of the regular menu.  Dining credits aren't transferrable, so you can't use any credits in the kids names, and there isn't a discount on their meals.  Further, the gratituity is pre-set based on the (high) menu price for the meal.

At 11/12, my own kids preferred to go to the buffet or pizza place alone rather than get dressed and be on their better/best manners at the restaurant.

By 15/16, however, they enjoyed enough of the menu and atmosphere to be comfortable in even the nicest restaurants.

I'd say the decision depends on the maturity of the kids, and whether you want to spend the ~$20 for the gratuity, just to have them order a burger, or not eat the filet.

Depending on the maturity of your kids, you could 1) take them to the buffet early so you know they've eaten, 2) let them go alone to the buffet, 3) have them order ala-carte or from the kids menu at the specialty dining or 4) pay up for the gratuity and enjoy the 'adult' menu.

For my kids, #2 fit both their maturity and preferences, but your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

I'm just saying that they would not eat off that menu while they watch us eat a filet.

My nephew at 12 would have been happy as a pig in slop to eat off the kid's menu.  My niece (his younger sister), now 11, maybe not as much.

55 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

The 'specialty dining credit' includes an appetizer, main course and dessert, usually from a sub-set of the regular menu

Let me clear something up here.  The people using the SDP get the exact same menu as those paying out of pocket.  Limited items in some venues have an additional fee if using the SDP.  With the SDP, you can order MULTIPLE appetizers and MULTIPLE desserts, the only limitation is the single entree allowed.  This is how it was prior to COVID suspensions.

@pbenjamin unless it's changed since COVID, no.  Nobody has sailed since COVID so we don't know yet.

55 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

Further, the gratituity is pre-set based on the (high) menu price for the meal.

Gratuity is set based on the price of the plan if you were to pay for it, NOT based on what your meal would have cost if paying out of pocket.

Edited by hallux

13 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

The 'specialty dining credit' includes an appetizer, main course and dessert, usually from a sub-set of the regular menu. 

In the vast majority of cases the choice is from the full regular menu. There have at various times been a small number of items that have an up charge, and I vaguely remember there being a dish somewhere (maybe Ocean Blu?) that wasn’t included in the dining package - I’ve not eaten there so don’t know from experience.

I’ve probably now had 100+ meals at speciality restaurants and to my knowledge there has never been a single dish included on the regular menu that I couldn’t have ordered with the dining package. Unless this is a very new change?

Also, whilst entrees are limited to one, there is no such limit to apps and desserts.

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

In the vast majority of cases the choice is from the full regular menu. There have at various times been a small number of items that have an up charge, and I vaguely remember there being a dish somewhere (maybe Ocean Blu?) that wasn’t included in the dining package - I’ve not eaten there so don’t know from experience.

I’ve probably now had 100+ meals at speciality restaurants and to my knowledge there has never been a single dish included on the regular menu that I couldn’t have ordered with the dining package. Unless this is a very new change?

Also, whilst entrees are limited to one, there is no such limit to apps and desserts.

I guess at least multiple people posting the same contradictive reply to them would give some merit to the correction of what they were wrong about...

If you pre-book online for Teppenyaki and Moderna using free at sea and then Cagneys and La Cucina you wouldn't have to pay anything up front but can you then swap it around when you get onboard? I want to use my free at sea for the two a la Carte restaurants and my obc fior the two set price menus but I want to book them in advance

24 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

If you pre-book online for Teppenyaki and Moderna using free at sea and then Cagneys and La Cucina you wouldn't have to pay anything up front but can you then swap it around when you get onboard? I want to use my free at sea for the two a la Carte restaurants and my obc fior the two set price menus but I want to book them in advance

Yes, just tell your server if you want to use your dining credit, or would rather be billed (a la carte or prix fixe, depending on the venue,) when you are seated.  They'll sort it all out.  

Edited by trivimp
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Yes, that is correct. As long as you reserve Teppanyaki and Moderno first then you won’t be charged at that time. How they are actually charged onboard is a separate matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I guess at least multiple people posting the same contradictive reply to them would give some merit to the correction of what they were wrong about...

I didn’t notice that you had already replied to that post. I did think it was odd that nobody had, but obviously didn’t read your post properly.

I think we made the point between us. :)

On 6/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, ColeThornton said:

Kids 12 and below can order off the Kid's Menu.  No problem there.

I have seen an adult order off the child's menu because she said that is what she likes and doesn't eat much. They served her. Why not??

21 minutes ago, crystalaziza said:

I have seen an adult order off the child's menu because she said that is what she likes and doesn't eat much. They served her. Why not??

No issue with that.   My comment was based on what NCL says about the age.   I'm assuming they have that because they want adults spending money in the specialty places.  If someone chooses to eat off the kids menu and use a meal credit, then I agree...why not?

9 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

No issue with that.   My comment was based on what NCL says about the age.   I'm assuming they have that because they want adults spending money in the specialty places.  If someone chooses to eat off the kids menu and use a meal credit, then I agree...why not?

I have had older teens order off of the kids menu in a few speciality restaurants (because it’s what they wanted to eat)…and it was free. I suspect it would be for adults as well. 

On 6/23/2021 at 12:01 PM, simkoreb said:

Looking at taking my first Norwegian cruise on the Breakaway in Feb.  I know we are going to pass on the free drink offer as my husband doesn't drink and I only drink 1-2 a day.  There are 4 of us, probably in 1 balcony (we have done this before and it worked ok).  Anyway, there is another offer for dining when you book, called Free at Sea specialty dining.  I called and I believe the agent said it was 2 meals for the first 2 guests and I just pay gratuity .  Is it worth it?  Are there kids meals if they come, or are kids frowned on in the specialty dining rooms?  They will be 11 and 12 when we sail.  I'm just not familiar with Norwegian enough to know what to do.  Thanks in advance!  

Just an FYI...even if you dont want the bev and dining, the free at sea right now includes take all five or a combination.  The internet and shore excursion will not COST you anything extra so at least take those.  As for the dining, it is $15.80 pp for the 1st 2 passengers (31.60 for 2 special meals). IMO the food is definitely worth the 31.60 extra.  The kids, at those ages, would not be frowned upon at all.  Whether you want to pay the price for the meals for them is up to you.  It can be costly. (2 meal package is $95 plus grats per person or you can do a la carte).  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 9:26 AM, SpainAlien said:

Please explain to me the difference? I booked Cagney’s & Le Bistro with my free 2 nights. I was going to purchase 2 more specialty dining nights & then book La Cucina & Brazil Steakhouse. Does this make sense.

Also can you change the date online? Booked a 7:00 & we have a 9 PM departure so thinking that is too early.