Bermuda Breakaway 2021

skeeter195

Well the Viking Orion is there now and the gazette states if it's successful they might allow other ships.

On the other side, they've identified 4 new cases today.  And the Viking ship is ported in Bermuda and only goes around the island. 

20 hours ago, trex-de said:

I wouldn’t care if the ship just floats for 7 days. I just want to be on the sea and not at work. 

Exactly. We would be happy with 7 days on the Hudson River!

On 6/25/2021 at 4:29 PM, MaryZ said:

Well the Viking Orion is there now and the gazette states if it's successful they might allow other ships.

On the other side, they've identified 4 new cases today.  And the Viking ship is ported in Bermuda and only goes around the island. 

Also, the Viking carries 960 passengers, while the Breakaway carries 3,963 passengers.  Viking is probably sailing at reduced capacity right now, so that is a LOT fewer covid tests to administer.  I can't imagine what it would take to administer almost 4,000 covid tests once the guests touch ground in port.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:29 PM, MaryZ said:

6 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

Also, the Viking carries 960 passengers, while the Breakaway carries 3,963 passengers.  Viking is probably sailing at reduced capacity right now, so that is a LOT fewer covid tests to administer.  I can't imagine what it would take to administer almost 4,000 covid tests once the guests touch ground in port.

Not 4 cases, but one. The positive and cabin mate were “kicked off” the ship and are in 2 weeks’ quarantine in a hotel here in Bermuda. The other couple returned to ship and were able to resume their cruise. All 4 wore masks throughout the excursion. 

The COVID incubation period is 4 - 14 days so the positive case must have contracted the virus prior to arrival to the island and ship (and after the negative pre-arrival PCR test).

50% capacity on Viking Bermuda Escape cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, NYcruzzer said:

I can certainy see NCL switching itinerary to the Bahamas at the 11th hour if Bermuda requirements remain this arduous. 

I'm guessing that Bahamas restrictions are not as strict? I have been to the Bahamas through NCL on the Breakaway and had fun. Even though I would "like" to enjoy Bermuda, right now I'm just happy to have a reservation and looking forward to getting away from the reality of my life for the last 2 years. 😉 

• Like 2

So I was looking around on the NCL site, cause I'm just damn excited to be going on vacation, and I found some interesting stuff on there about testing for other countries where they have destinations to. So don't be surprised after signing up and paying for a excursion that you will have to get another test done at your expense before being able to leave the ship at port. The tests issued by Bermuda are $75 (https://www.gov.bm/travel-testing-frequently-asked-questions). Mind you all if this is the information at this moment, obviously this can all change. And as people have mentioned before, NCL itself is probably trying to arrange something with Bermuda for the cruises with 100% Vaccinated Crew and Passengers. This most likely will change when they start doing cruises with less than 100% vaccination. 

The below quote can be found on the NCL website, here... https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

"Will any countries visited during the cruise require additional testing to enter the country?

We will comply with all local regulations at all destinations we visit. These regulations are continuously evolving and if an additional test is required at a port of call we will provide advanced notice to all guests."

There's going to be a need for incredible flexibility with these cruises if they actually start.  So much is changing, and getting worse again unfortunately.  If you sign up for a cruise, you have got to be ready for unexpected changes.   And I see the small cruise line that just sails Alaska waters last week had to return to port with 4 cases of Covid on board and had to cancel their next week's cruise.  I'm afraid that is going to be typical. 

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

There's going to be a need for incredible flexibility with these cruises if they actually start.  So much is changing, and getting worse again unfortunately.  If you sign up for a cruise, you have got to be ready for unexpected changes.   And I see the small cruise line that just sails Alaska waters last week had to return to port with 4 cases of Covid on board and had to cancel their next week's cruise.  I'm afraid that is going to be typical. 

One of the covid cases was an unvaccinated crew!

NCL is committed to having 100% vaccinated crew on their ships.

Breakaway has finally broken loose from Toulon France and is sailing to Barcelona now, with tomorrow morning as the eta.

In the meantime Viking Orion has been cruising here in Bermuda - week long round trip from Hamilton with 50% passenger capacity - all crew 100% vaccinated and all passengers must be 100% vaccinated also. Number 4 cruise is almost up and number 5 starts tomorrow - they have been successful! Last week Viking made the decision to extend Bermuda Escape sailing season with 6 more sailings. That's 12 sailings total. All passengers have to take a PCR test (nasal swab) 4 days before arrival to Bermuda and once they receive a negative test result they apply for Bermuda Travel Authorization (costs $75). You'll need complete vaccination certificate with your name, DOB, dates of doses, make, batch #, etc. This and the negative test result will need to be uploaded to BTA.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Breakaway has finally broken loose from Toulon France and is sailing to Barcelona now, with tomorrow morning as the eta.

In the meantime Viking Orion has been cruising here in Bermuda - week long round trip from Hamilton with 50% passenger capacity - all crew 100% vaccinated and all passengers must be 100% vaccinated also. Number 4 cruise is almost up and number 5 starts tomorrow - they have been successful! Last week Viking made the decision to extend Bermuda Escape sailing season with 6 more sailings. That's 12 sailings total. All passengers have to take a PCR test (nasal swab) 4 days before arrival to Bermuda and once they receive a negative test result they apply for Bermuda Travel Authorization (costs $75). You'll need complete vaccination certificate with your name, DOB, dates of doses, make, batch #, etc. This and the negative test result will need to be uploaded to BTA.

Do the passengers for the Viking cruises still have to get the on-arrival test, and if so where do they quarantine until the results are available?  Not on the ship I would think.

The round trip seems like it works within the current requirements, but I just can't see how a cruise that takes 3 or so days to get to Bermuda could do that, and I question if Bermuda is inclined to relax the requirements for cruises from outside.

3 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Do the passengers for the Viking cruises still have to get the on-arrival test, and if so where do they quarantine until the results are available?  Not on the ship I would think.

The round trip seems like it works within the current requirements, but I just can't see how a cruise that takes 3 or so days to get to Bermuda could do that, and I question if Bermuda is inclined to relax the requirements for cruises from outside.

All air arrivals are subject to nasal swabs (at the airport) and if a Viking cruiser arriving on day of cruise they are taken straight to ship by Viking. Others are instructed to go home or hotel and stay in room until they receive text to say test is 👍 or 👎 after a couple or so hours. Then if 👍 they are free to roam the island but must comply to rules (face masks mandatory in stores, on buses, in taxis, when entering into restaurants, etc. When outside you can take it off ). Once on ship and you receive an 👍 result, you're free to leave ship to roam, sightsee, etc.

P.S. if arrival test turns out to be 👎 you'll be sent to quarantine 😧. So, here's an advice ... start "quarantining" yourself two weeks beforehand, start wearing masks to stores, gatherings, parties, etc, so you receive negative PCR tests ...

We're on the Aug 3 cruise 😁 ... we plan on staying on the ship the entire week, ha ha, it'll cure our Rock Fever!

• Like 2

Bumping. 

Any news on the Breakaway?  I see several of the NCL ships have been cleared by the CDC but Breakaway is still in France (via a ship search website). My final payment is due in 10 days…for my Sept 26 the sailing.  Her first post pandemic sailing. 

On 7/7/2021 at 4:29 PM, SwimmingDragon said:

I'm guessing that Bahamas restrictions are not as strict? I have been to the Bahamas through NCL on the Breakaway and had fun. Even though I would "like" to enjoy Bermuda, right now I'm just happy to have a reservation and looking forward to getting away from the reality of my life for the last 2 years. 😉 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, NYcruzzer said:

I can certainty see NCL switching itinerary to the Bahamas at the 11th hour if Bermuda requirements remain this arduous. 

It all has to do with what agreements the cruise line has with the port of call. For instance, if you were a visitor to the Bahamas, you are required to apply for a Bahamian Health Visa (upload a your passport, vaccination card or PCR test results, lots of personal health data) and pay for Bahamian COVID Health Insurance to enter the country. We did that when we flew into the Bahamas last month. 

Royal Caribbean has got an agreement that allows their passengers to get off without all of that process. Not sure what agreements NCL has. Bottom Line, what you read online as a "requirement for entry" may not be a "requirement for entry" if you are arriving by cruise ship. 

• Like 3