Is Covid specific insurance required for fully vaccinated passengers

drsel

For Mediterranean Cruises, MSC recommends that all Cruise passengers  should be fully vaccinated or have proof of Covid antibodies from a previous infection.

So do fully vaccinated passengers have to mandatorily purchase a Cruise specific and covid specific insurance cover?.

Or will a general travel insurance cover be sufficient?

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

do fully vaccinated passengers have to mandatorily purchase a Cruise specific and covid specific insurance cover?

No.  A friend booked on Splendida sailing in August, and MSC rep said insurance is not required for fully vaccinated passengers.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

There is no need for either vax nor insurance at MSC cruises in Europe....

The only thing they do is mask and test.

At least on my booking at Seashore...

I thought they did, certainly in the UK everyone has to have Covid insurance regardless of vax & I though that was the same on the other Europe sailing? I could be wrong but I know we had a big discussion on the type of insurance being offered on the European sailings.

I thought is was only US sailings that did not require insurance if you have had the vax.

25 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Thanks, when was your cruise?

Which port?

what did they check at the cruise terminal?

Edited by drsel

51 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

This is wofeully inadequate information.

Can you get on the ship if you haven't been vaccinated?
Yes.
Will you be able to remove your mask, and have the shore privileges that vaccinated passengers have if you haven't been vaccinated?
No.  You will be regulated when you can unmask, you will have to leave the ship in a bubble with other non-vaxers.

And Drsel is a U-S resident.  So yes, he WILL have to purchase a special insurance policy issued by MSC if he or his family members have not been vaccinated.

But since it sounds as though he travels with vaccinated folks, he and his family will have all the privileges that the un-vaxed can only dream about.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

But since it sounds as though he travels with vaccinated folks, he and his family will have all the privileges that the un-vaxed can only dream about.

We will be fully vaccinated for sure. (It's too risky and dangerous to be on a cruise ship without full vaccination).

But we are planning to buy a regular travel insurance, like we always do.

It is not a cruise specific, nor a covid specific insurance. I hope that it will suffice for fully vaccinated passengers.

We don't buy Cruise specific insurance, because any medical emergency treatment can be done on land,(  in the next port).

Medical emergency treatment on land is covered by the general travel insurance. (But not beyond 2 miles from the coast line)

In any case, medical treatment onboard is very basic

Edited by drsel

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

We will be fully vaccinated for sure. (It's too risky and dangerous to be on a cruise ship without full vaccination).

But we are planning to buy a regular travel insurance, like we always do; not a cruise specific, nor covid specific insurance

I have sent message to an Italian friend who is currently onboard Splendida and has sailed Grandiosa twice this year to see if she had to have a Covid insurance policy, hopefully she will reply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sidari said:

I have sent message to an Italian friend who is currently onboard Splendida and has sailed Grandiosa twice this year to see if she had to have a Covid insurance policy, hopefully she will reply.

Yes please, kindly find out if

1. A cruise specific insurance is required

2. A Covid specific insurance is required

for FULLY VACCINATED  non EU passengers on both MSC and Costa.

Thanks so much!

Edited by drsel

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

Yes please, kindly find out if

1. A cruise specific insurance is required

2. A Covid specific insurance is required

for FULLY VACCINATED  non EU passengers on both MSC and Costa.

Thanks so much!

Had a reply saying the Covid Insurance is Mandatory and cost 25 Euros, I have now asked if it required for jabbed and none jabbed people.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidari said:

Had a reply saying the Covid Insurance is Mandatory and cost 25 Euros, I have now asked if it required for jabbed and none jabbed people.

Yes, also if Cruise specific insurance is mandatory for fully vaccinated non EU passengers

8 minutes ago, sidari said:

Everyone sailing regardless of vaccine has to have the Covid Insurance same as the UK.

1. Can we buy Covid specific insurance on the spot at the cruise terminal?

2. Can we buy Covid specific insurance to cover multiple different cruise ships (both MSC and Costa) for 1 or 2 months?

Edited by drsel

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

1. Can we buy Covid specific insurance on the spot at the cruise terminal?

2. Can we buy Covid specific insurance to cover multiple different cruises for 2 months?

You will likely have to purchase it in your home Country and be International cruising specific along with your standard travel Insurance policy.

From the MSC Italian (translated) website for Med sailings, which mentions insurance required for all Schengen guests:

To ensure a safe and peaceful cruise, MSC Cruises is adapting its booking conditions and onboard experience. Strict health and safety measures have been implemented for an improved and safer onboard experience. These measures include: a Covid-19 test for all guests before the cruise, protected excursions, social distancing, constant cleaning and sanitation of all areas of the ship and perfectly trained personnel.

Guests residing in non-Schengen countries (except Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia) are currently not allowed to sail with us due to international and domestic travel restrictions. The restriction applies to all cruises departing until the end of June 2021.

While on a cruise, guests may be exposed to specific COVID-19 risks that aren't always covered by existing insurance policies. It is therefore mandatory for all guests to have an insurance policy in place that specifically covers them against risks related to COVID-19, such as cancellation, travel interruption, repatriation costs, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization. This policy will guarantee coverage from the confirmation of the booking until the end of the cruise package or the end of the flight and cruise package.

Therefore, MSC obligatorily includes the COVID Protection Plan for all Summer 2021 and Winter 2021/22 cruises: it is a specific policy for the risks deriving from COVID-19 that must be added to the cruise during the booking phase. The Plan is charged at a cost of € 25 per person for cruises in the Mediterranean and Northern Europe and € 29 for cruises to the Caribbean and French Antilles, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and the Red Sea, South America, South Africa and for Grand Voyages cruises. The latter is valid from the moment of confirmation of the travel package until the moment of disembarkation and is to cover any costs of travel assistance, transfer, medical expenses and specific cancellation cases related to COVID-19 infection.

You cannot opt out of the insurance during the booking process, you can only add more extensive insurance.  Vaccination status does not matter.

i.thumb.jpg.1cc3fccc99b7871c5cbc1965e2d0fe55.jpg

3 hours ago, Selion said:

No.  A friend booked on Splendida sailing in August, and MSC rep said insurance is not required for fully vaccinated passengers.

I would treat this advice with a pinch of salt!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Até said:

From the MSC Italian (translated) website for Med sailings, which mentions insurance required for all Schengen guests:

To ensure a safe and peaceful cruise, MSC Cruises is adapting its booking conditions and onboard experience. Strict health and safety measures have been implemented for an improved and safer onboard experience. These measures include: a Covid-19 test for all guests before the cruise, protected excursions, social distancing, constant cleaning and sanitation of all areas of the ship and perfectly trained personnel.

Guests residing in non-Schengen countries (except Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia) are currently not allowed to sail with us due to international and domestic travel restrictions. The restriction applies to all cruises departing until the end of June 2021.

While on a cruise, guests may be exposed to specific COVID-19 risks that aren't always covered by existing insurance policies. It is therefore mandatory for all guests to have an insurance policy in place that specifically covers them against risks related to COVID-19, such as cancellation, travel interruption, repatriation costs, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization. This policy will guarantee coverage from the confirmation of the booking until the end of the cruise package or the end of the flight and cruise package.

Therefore, MSC obligatorily includes the COVID Protection Plan for all Summer 2021 and Winter 2021/22 cruises: it is a specific policy for the risks deriving from COVID-19 that must be added to the cruise during the booking phase. The Plan is charged at a cost of € 25 per person for cruises in the Mediterranean and Northern Europe and € 29 for cruises to the Caribbean and French Antilles, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and the Red Sea, South America, South Africa and for Grand Voyages cruises. The latter is valid from the moment of confirmation of the travel package until the moment of disembarkation and is to cover any costs of travel assistance, transfer, medical expenses and specific cancellation cases related to COVID-19 infection.

You cannot opt out of the insurance during the booking process, you can only add more extensive insurance.  Vaccination status does not matter.

i.thumb.jpg.1cc3fccc99b7871c5cbc1965e2d0fe55.jpg

Thanks, we did not buy this at the time of booking, which was long ago.

We would be happy to buy this on the spot at the Cruise terminal.

1. Do we have to buy this on the spot at the cruise terminal for each and every Mediterranean Cruise SEPARATELY?

2. Does it cover all nationalities?

3.  Can we buy a Covid specific insurance to cover multiple cruise ships of MSC and Costa over 1-2 months also on the spot?

Edited by drsel

FWIW, when booking from the USA, I don't see any of this.  My girlfriend and I are fully vaccinated and I did purchase the tickets on my American Express Platinum Card, which has some great coverages baked in.  Still, I wouldn't be terribly opposed to buying standalone insurance if the cost was low.

Here is the German version.

You may buy an insurance, but it's not mandatory...

COVID-19 VERSICHERUNG

Jeder Passagier sollte zu seinem eigenen Schutz, krankheitsbedingte Risiken

wie Stornierung der Pauschalreise, Rückführungskosten, Quarantäne,

medizinische Hilfe und Kosten, Krankenhausaufenthalt, etc. bei einer

Reiseversicherung absichern. Mit unserer Covid-19-Versicherung von Europ

Assistance werden für € 25,- p.P. (Nordeuropa, Mittelmeer) bzw. € 29,- p.P.

(Karibik) eventuell entstehende Kosten im Zusammenhang mit Covid-19

übernommen. Eine solche Versicherung kann nur unmittelbar mit der Buchung

abgeschlossen werden. 

FWIW, I just called MSC as I had several questions about FCCs and I also asked about the insurance situation.

The agent said that the insurance was not required, but if my girlfriend and I wanted to buy it, the cost would be $210 USD for the two of us.  I think I'll just take my chances with the insurance on my Amex Platinum card.

She also said that I was the nicest customer she's talked to all day, which was nice of her to say!

If anyone needs a link to the USA website's MSC health and safety protocols, here it is:
https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1