Travel Insurance

Debra_Murdock

We are having trouble finding an insurance company who will cover us for cruising. Has anyone had any success in getting medical and trip cancellation? We are booked for a cruise in mid September but may have to cancel if we can’t purchase travel insurance. We are both retired and travelling with my Mom and her friend, both in their 80’s. 

Thanks

Edited by Debra_Murdock
Typo

We aren't cruising until March but have made a few inquiries for insurance.  I was told that there are a few companies that provide coverage.  I think Manulife is one of them but they generally are more expensive so in these times, I'll bet the coverage comes with a high price tag.

I am planning on looking in to Carnival's coverage since it seems to be reasonably priced.  Just wonder if it fully covers you.

I am hoping that once things get back to the new normal, insurance companies will ease up as well.

10 hours ago, Debra_Murdock said:

We are having trouble finding an insurance company who will cover us for cruising. Has anyone had any success in getting medical and trip cancellation? We are booked for a cruise in mid September but may have to cancel if we can’t purchase travel insurance. We are both retired and travelling with my Mom and her friend, both in their 80’s. 

Thanks

There is a forum called "insurance" which discuss travel and medical insurance. 

Check the postings.

46 minutes ago, lostinparadise999 said:

There is a forum called "insurance" which discuss travel and medical insurance. 

Check the postings.

The problem is that insurance is country specific, so @Debra_Murdockwas wise to post it here. I would suggest talking to a travel insurance broker, and see what they say.

I do know that the complimentary COVID coverage that I got from ManuLife by being an Aeroplan member on an Air Canada ticket specifically excludes coverage while you are cruising.

• Like 2

Debra, Celebrity appears to have some sort of agreement with ManuLife. As I have different insurance, I've not looked at the details, but you might want to consider it:  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-insurance

My wife and I have annual coverage with Medoc Travel Insurance though Johnson Inc. As retired federal employees, it costs us a bit less as we get group coverage that takes into account our provincial medical coverage as well as the more generous Public Service Health Care Plan. I believe that they also provide insurance to individuals, so you should check them out. On our last cruise, DW had a medical issue that resulted in over $11K in medical and associated costs, including a delayed return to Canada from Amsterdam. We were out a few dollars for a couple of non-covered things like our dog's extended kennel stay, but the vast majority of costs were reimbursed without difficulty.

johnson.ca (website) • travelinsurance@johnson.ca (email) • 1-866-606-3362 (toll free)

We have Manulife travel insurance as part of my pension benefit.   Eight months ago I had reason to contact them to see if the insurance was still in force through covid.  It was an email question and I had a timely written response.

The answer was positive.  BUT....that certainly does not mean that this is still the case. 

9 minutes ago, iancal said:

We have Manulife travel insurance as part of my pension benefit.   Eight months ago I had reason to contact them to see if the insurance was still in force through covid.  It was an email question and I had a timely written response.

The answer was positive.  BUT....that certainly does not mean that this is still the case. 

The insurance is still in-force, but there can be exclusions. You need to ask specifically whether it will cover you if you test positive for covid. Another question is whether there is coverage in case you are caught up in a quarantine situation. Will there be a payment for that?

For the last several years we have used First Rate Insurance as our travel insurance of choice. All we do is cruises and I’ve never read anything in the fine print which excludes cruise insurance.
They are currently offering free Covid insurance.

First Rate Insurance can be reached at ibeaudoin@firstrateinsurance.com 

Ask for Isabelle. She is very knowledgeable and will send you a very easy questionnare to fill which determines the insurance premium. This insurance can also be cancelled for a full refund up to the day before you travel.

I would have thought that as long as Canada specifically recommends against cruise travel, it will be difficult to get travel insurance for that.

Ref:

COVID-19 Cruise ship travel

Avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice

travel.gc.ca

If Canada were to deem a certain region unsafe to travel to, then Medipac  would not insure you if you went to that region against advice not to.  Now that it is deemed safer to travel as Covid is brought more under control, you would not have a problem getting travel insurance.   I, for one, am ready to go but will not be doing any overseas travel until at least next year, just to be safe.  But as my grandchildren live in California and I haven't been able to hug and kiss them in person for almost two years, I hope to get out there before the end of this year.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Fouremco said:

Debra, Celebrity appears to have some sort of agreement with ManuLife. As I have different insurance, I've not looked at the details, but you might want to consider it:  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-insurance

My wife and I have annual coverage with Medoc Travel Insurance though Johnson Inc. As retired federal employees, it costs us a bit less as we get group coverage that takes into account our provincial medical coverage as well as the more generous Public Service Health Care Plan. I believe that they also provide insurance to individuals, so you should check them out. On our last cruise, DW had a medical issue that resulted in over $11K in medical and associated costs, including a delayed return to Canada from Amsterdam. We were out a few dollars for a couple of non-covered things like our dog's extended kennel stay, but the vast majority of costs were reimbursed without difficulty.

johnson.ca (website) • travelinsurance@johnson.ca (email) • 1-866-606-3362 (toll free)

I'm also a federal retired public servants. If I go on a cruise this fall I can buy a separate travel Insurance ? 

11 minutes ago, Thechamp555 said:

FYI, I just called my insurance for retired public servant and she mentioned that we are fully covered for all Covid-19 issues during our trip. I was really happy to hear the news !👍👍😅😅

We've been very happy with Medoc, both their coverage and their handling of claims, even for domestic travel.

I have been trying for a week to get a medical travel insurance policy for pre-existing conditions with a short stability period. Last night I finally got it from Manulife - then they called me this morning and told me that they do not cover cruises! I'm hoping something changes before I cruise in October. I have insurance with NCL & my credit card, but they don't cover pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Kkate

This is from the BCAA travel insurance FAQ page:

“Current Canadian travel advisories: The Government of Canada has issued an official global advisory to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada (Level 3) and to avoid all cruise travel (Level 4). Learn more about this and other current travel advisories from the Government of Canada at travel.gc.ca.”

“I’m planning a cruise, am I able to get coverage for COVID-19 emergency medical expenses?

No, COVID-19 travel emergency medical insurance coverage is not available during a Level 4 (avoid all travel) advisory.”

Also from the Snowbirdadvisorinsurance page, they state that medical insurance claims could be denied if a travel 3 or 4 advisory exists.

I am hoping someone here can explain to me the travel insurance for retired federal public servants. It seems what used to be out-of-country insurance is now called out-of-province insurance. If I am covered by that, why do I need the additional Medoc insurance?  I did purchase it once several years ago when I was out of the country for more than 40 days, but I thought for shorter trips my PSHCP insurance was sufficient, except for trip cancellation of course. 

Am I wrong?  Do I need additional insurance when outside Canada for less than 40 days?

Bonnie

2 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

I am hoping someone here can explain to me the travel insurance for retired federal public servants. It seems what used to be out-of-country insurance is now called out-of-province insurance. If I am covered by that, why do I need the additional Medoc insurance?  I did purchase it once several years ago when I was out of the country for more than 40 days, but I thought for shorter trips my PSHCP insurance was sufficient, except for trip cancellation of course. 

Am I wrong?  Do I need additional insurance when outside Canada for less than 40 days?

Bonnie

Bonnie, my thoughts are the same as yours.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:44 PM, waiting2retire said:

Bonnie

The PSHCP coverage of $500,000 sounds great, but pay out is based on "Reasonable and Customary Charges". As anyone who has been treated aboard a cruise ship knows, their charges are anything but. As I indicated in post #5 above, on our last cruise my wife had a medical issue that resulted in her being kept in the Nieuw Statendam's medical facility for 36 hours at a cost of just under $8,000. I don't know exactly how much the PSHCP would have reimbursed, but based on another incident prior to starting with Medoc, I believe that it would have been several hundred dollars less. And, of course, the PSHCP wouldn't have cover the additional $3,000+ expenses related to trip interruption as she wasn't allowed to fly for several days due to the medical condition.

For $32/month, Medoc's comprehensive insurance is well worth the price IMO. We typically take two cruises or one cruise and one land vacation every year, and buying travel insurance with no medical coverage for just those two trips would probably cost about the same as our unlimited (trips under 40 day) comprehensive coverage. 

There are lots of factors to consider, from your general health to the frequency, length and nature of your travels. For us, having the additional insurance with an annual policy is worthwhile. YMMV. 

Thanks for the additional information.

For us like we said we have the PSHCP plus the protection that Celebrity offers(see below). No other insurance are required at the moment.

"Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.*Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party."

We never buy cancellation insurance.  We do have cancel insurance as part of our premium credit card.  

Used cancel insurance for the first time in over 50 years of travel a few years ago.  Had to cancel a China land trip for health reasons.  Filled out the forms, attached the required doc, and much to our surprise had a cheque in the mail within 15 business days.  No questions whatsoever.

The only insurance we do not leave home without is out of country medica'/evac.

Edited by iancal

I do fairly expensive vacations. For any trip where the amount at risk (non-refundable payments) is more than I am comfortable with, I buy trip cancellation/interruption insurance. The amount provided by my mid-level credit card (not top of the line) is only $1500 per person up to a maximum of $5000 for all insured people. That doesn't go very far on an expensive cruise or organized tour. If the only amount that is at risk is the flight, then I generally don't worry about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1