Virtuosa Upgrade Bidding

Savblanc1

Hi

For those of you sailing on Virtuosa this summer/autumn seems like many of us have received an e mail offering the chance to bid on an upgrade.  Anyone considering doing this, just interested and also would be interested to see how soon bids are successful/unsuccessful, though believe they can keep you waiting until just before the cruise.  We have put a bid in for a royal yc suite from a deluxe balcony yc suite.  Are happy with what we have already but just thought why not and no big deal if we don't get it, as think its only a bigger room and a hot tub really you get extra.... Anyone else tempted??  Happy cruising everyone....

1 hour ago, Savblanc1 said:

Hi

For those of you sailing on Virtuosa this summer/autumn seems like many of us have received an e mail offering the chance to bid on an upgrade.  Anyone considering doing this, just interested and also would be interested to see how soon bids are successful/unsuccessful, though believe they can keep you waiting until just before the cruise.  We have put a bid in for a royal yc suite from a deluxe balcony yc suite.  Are happy with what we have already but just thought why not and no big deal if we don't get it, as think its only a bigger room and a hot tub really you get extra.... Anyone else tempted??  Happy cruising everyone....

You will find out if successful 48 hours before departure.

Up to now (1000 onboard) lowish bids have been successful, it's hard to know what effect the higher numbers will have.

• Like 1

Hi

What date are you booked on ? I’ve bid on it also but it’s showing on line as sold out

18 hours ago, wirral36 said:

What date are you booked on ? I’ve bid on it also but it’s showing on line as sold out

we are sailing 28th August, and yes ours also says sold out of Royal Suites, which is weird as you think they would try and sell them 'normally' too.  When are you booked?

5 minutes ago, Savblanc1 said:

we are sailing 28th August, and yes ours also says sold out of Royal Suites, which is weird as you think they would try and sell them 'normally' too.  When are you booked?

They would sell them first, if you are bidding for a cabin at the top of the chain that is sold out you are really "on standby" for a late cancellation, they would never want those cabins to sail empty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

They would sell them first, if you are bidding for a cabin at the top of the chain that is sold out you are really "on standby" for a late cancellation, they would never want those cabins to sail empty.

Ahhh ok, won't get my hopes up then.  Thanks

24 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I didnt know that.  I’d like to see travellers pictures and videos of the royal suite on virtuosa but there isn’t any thst I can find. Just out of curiosity. Have you seen any ?

4 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

I didnt know that.  I’d like to see travellers pictures and videos of the royal suite on virtuosa but there isn’t any thst I can find. Just out of curiosity. Have you seen any ?

yes its disappointing isn't it if they have already sold them as chances are they won't cancel.  Ive looked at some pictures of the sister ship Grandiosa, as I'm assuming they will be the same as Virtuosa.  TBH I really would of preferred to of bid on a duplex, but that option didn't come up.  And they are still selling those!

12 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

We were to have sailed two weeks out of Kiel in one just disembarking last week but that never happened.  I have not seen any pics or vids of Virtuoso RS although they should be same as Mera which we also missed last March.  

We are rebooked Mera RS in September and hope it happens.

19 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

Got to be honest I have not even looked, my wallet does not stretch that far 😁

But logically 🖖, all the way up the chain cabins become available as upgrades become awarded (even in sold out categories) the only place that can't happen is at the top of the chain, those rely on cancellations to make availability if sold out.

12 minutes ago, Savblanc1 said:

yes its disappointing isn't it if they have already sold them as chances are they won't cancel.  Ive looked at some pictures of the sister ship Grandiosa, as I'm assuming they will be the same as Virtuosa.  TBH I really would of preferred to of bid on a duplex, but that option didn't come up.  And they are still selling those!

They use the same third party as NCL who has been doing bidding for years.  They offer rooms sold out just in case to maximize revenue.  On NCL it can create a cascade of revenue based on lesser rooms getting bumped.  For MSC it seems to be more of a hobby.

On our sailing a couple of people who bid on a GS with whirlpool got given a duplex, they even got the YC extras. They were not really sure until they checked in what perks they had and couldn't believe the bargain they got. We put low bids on the GS and the YC inside (from a Bella balcony) and got the YC inside which we were pleased with. We also met someone in YC whose bids didn't get accepted but asked when they boarded and were able to upgrade(not sure what they paid but think it was a reasonable price).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kernow said:

On our sailing a couple of people who bid on a GS with whirlpool got given a duplex, they even got the YC extras. They were not really sure until they checked in what perks they had and couldn't believe the bargain they got. We put low bids on the GS and the YC inside (from a Bella balcony) and got the YC inside which we were pleased with. We also met someone in YC whose bids didn't get accepted but asked when they boarded and were able to upgrade(not sure what they paid but think it was a reasonable price).

Did you get the extras on your YC inside Kernow?

11 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Did you get the extras on your YC inside Kernow?

You hoping for an upgrade Terri? You won’t want to be mixing with us commoners if you’re successful! Wonder if they do Spitz H’s in YC?? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

i dont trust computers when it comes to bidding for upgrades, I put all my faith in the upgrade fairy (she's real you know) 

😂

If you are reading this upgrade fairy a nice upgrade to YC balcony would be nice please 😁😃😃😂

Edited by nyk24
  • Like 1

Anyone been given a complementary upgrade on the Virtuosa so far?

My sailing on the 24th July has loads of balconies left (I'm only in an interior studio at the moment!) The price to upgrade outright is absolutely silly (about another £1000). I haven't received any bid2upgrade email yet. Wondering what my chances are of getting a free upgrade!

51 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

You hoping for an upgrade Terri? You won’t want to be mixing with us commoners if you’re successful! Wonder if they do Spitz H’s in YC?? 🤣🤣🤣

Yes….I’m hoping for one alright!

If they only serve Spritz….I’ll be right down for a Spitz!!!

Don’t worry ….I’ll always remember my roots and not get carried away with it all.

if we are lucky….

They won’t know what’s hit them when the riffraff arrives!! 😜🥂

• Haha 1

Just now, ConnieTact said:

When did you know you were upgraded and was it an email or did your money just disappear?!?! 😂

We got an email on Thursday morning as we were sailing on Saturday.

• Like 1

Just now, kernow said:

We got an email on Thursday morning as we were sailing on Saturday.

Thanks Kernow.,here it is Thursday evening and we are sailing Saturday but nothing.

either we are unlucky or with all this Rigmarole going on maybe they are delayed and don’t want to upgrade someone who has been bumped off the cruise. 
We live in Hope! 🤪

Is the email you get just random or is their some sort of process? I remember on NCL you could just bid on an upgrade without getting an email. Sailing on Meraviglia in October and booked in a YC Interior. Would love to bid on a YC Balcony. Their seem to be many available for my sailing.

Edited by miataman19

2 minutes ago, miataman19 said:

Is the email you get just random or is their some sort of process? I remember on NCL you could just bid on an upgrade without getting an email. Sailing on Meraviglia in October and booked in a YC Interior. Would love to bid on a YC Balcony. Their seems to be many available for my sailing.

I think you need the email with MSC, with NCL you could click the "Lets get upgraded" message in your message centre but MSC don't have that website feature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miataman19 said:

Is the email you get just random or is their some sort of process? I remember on NCL you could just bid on an upgrade without getting an email. Sailing on Meraviglia in October and booked in a YC Interior. Would love to bid on a YC Balcony. Their seem to be many available for my sailing.

I think you need to have signed up to receive emails and offers from MSC.

We just got sent email to say we could bid. This happened for both our up coming sail dates.