Global Entry Card renewal

GottaKnowWhen

On 7/3/2021 at 12:51 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for taking the time to explain.   Perhaps the expiration of your passport, and in the middle of the pandemic, triggered the in-person review.  It's good to know that renewing on line may be feasible for many (perhaps most) folks, in the ordinary course of things.   Good luck for a quick in and out!

We got new passports last summer (took about eight weeks). I was able to update the passport info on-line on the Global Entry website without any issues.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 10:02 AM, TeeRick said:

Last time I cruised out of Port Everglades on EDGE, they had facial recognition technology when coming back through CBP and there was no line for US citizens.  This was way back in Jan 2019.

That was the case in February 2020 as well. Facial recognition technology was used.  The same was true when returning to Seattle after an Alaskan cruise the previous year.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see so many able to change the passport information online.  I don't know if something triggered with ours or if it's just something that's changed since we last renewed (or if we just had a bad understanding).  I do know that, while I was waiting to do the GE renewal interview, I saw a number of folks also show up to get their renewed passport numbers entered in, so it does seem that it was something that others had to do.

Regardless, it's nice to see things might be easier.  It was a minor pain for us to go to the airport to do it, but it still was a pain.  It certainly could be a major pain for others.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:31 AM, markeb said:

Not always. I’m going to have to go to Dulles to update mine. Supposedly a quick walk-in. We’ll see. 

If it's anything like how things run at Houston Intercontinental.  All you have to do there is wait for someone to come out to get someone for an interview, and you just wave them down.  If no one is waiting out there, just call them.  

You are not able to just open the door and walk in anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

We had to renew our passports. My DH only took 4 weeks to get back.  Mine took 12 weeks.  Renewed them at the same time at the  county clerk office.  Our GE cards expire at the end of this year.  So yesterday I went online to renew both GE cards with the new passport #s.  It took me 1/2 hour each to do both of them.  Now to wait and see when we get new GE cards and whether or not we have to go to the airport for an interview (hope not).

On 7/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, GottaKnowWhen said:

2. The CBP website showed my application status as Approved within one day. The initial application required a face-to-face interviewing session, it is not clear if the renewal might require that but at least in my case no such requirement was triggered.

3. Today I received my new Global Entry card. A 5-minute trip to the website to activate the card and the process is done. My Trusted Traveler number remains the same so no need for me to change/update information on the airline websites.

Stan

Stan:  Did the renewal on line.  We were approved with no face-to-face interview.  We are good now for 5 more years.  I tried to put in for new cards but was unable.  Site said "application in progress."  Did you get your new cards automatically?  Or would I have to wait a few days to try again online.  Any info would be most helpful.

50 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

Stan:  Did the renewal on line.  We were approved with no face-to-face interview.  We are good now for 5 more years.  I tried to put in for new cards but was unable.  Site said "application in progress."  Did you get your new cards automatically?  Or would I have to wait a few days to try again online.  Any info would be most helpful.

The new cards came automatically, same photo, updated Expiration date. 

My renewal is coming up next year as well so I will need to renew soon. Glad that the renewal process was smooth for you @GottaKnowWhen

Now the next level is to add Clear membership as well using the new AMEX Platinum Benefit. If you are Delta Medallion member, you can get discounted rate and add your spouse for $60 and still come under the AMEX reimbursement limit. 

Delta Clear Link

On 7/17/2021 at 1:17 PM, CarolRoy said:

We had to renew our passports. My DH only took 4 weeks to get back.  Mine took 12 weeks.  Renewed them at the same time at the  county clerk office.  Our GE cards expire at the end of this year.  So yesterday I went online to renew both GE cards with the new passport #s.  It took me 1/2 hour each to do both of them.  Now to wait and see when we get new GE cards and whether or not we have to go to the airport for an interview (hope not).

Just did our GE a year early because of horrible wait times reported online... no interview needed and approval within 48 hours... new cards received within 2 weeks.  We were really surprised!

Got our new global cards in the mail.  Only took 8 days.  Now were are all set with new passports and global cards.  Glad we didn't have to go to an interview at the airport to renew the global cards.

Turned out updating my passport information in the Trusted Traveler program (renewed passport, got flagged as unable to update on the TTP web page) was less than five minutes once we drove to Dulles and parked. 

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but as soon as your TTP account shows you're approved (renewal or first time), your Global Entry is good immediately for air travel. The "card" is only relevant at overseas pre-clearance sites (Canada) for expedited security and customs and immigration, land entry, and at cruise terminals when they're actually doing Global Entry without Kiosks. And if they're doing facial recognition, that's probably faster anyway. It theoretically is good at land ports of entry, but I'd rather have GE plus NEXUS if I'm driving across the border from Canada, once that can be done again. That's associated with your vehicle and lets you go through a separate driving lane. The delays I've experienced were always in the regular car lane, and I had GE once I actually got to a CBP officer.

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

Turned out updating my passport information in the Trusted Traveler program (renewed passport, got flagged as unable to update on the TTP web page) was less than five minutes once we drove to Dulles and parked. 

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but as soon as your TTP account shows you're approved (renewal or first time), your Global Entry is good immediately for air travel. The "card" is only relevant at overseas pre-clearance sites (Canada) for expedited security and customs and immigration, land entry, and at cruise terminals when they're actually doing Global Entry without Kiosks. And if they're doing facial recognition, that's probably faster anyway. It theoretically is good at land ports of entry, but I'd rather have GE plus NEXUS if I'm driving across the border from Canada, once that can be done again. That's associated with your vehicle and lets you go through a separate driving lane. The delays I've experienced were always in the regular car lane, and I had GE once I actually got to a CBP officer.

We did both NEXUS and SENTRI.  Can drive in normal times either way across US/Canada border.  Big help driving back from Mexico too.

Count me as another that couldn’t update my new passport info on the GE website. No idea why. But they were able to do it in a minute at my local enrollment center today. They didn’t seem surprised so I think they’ve been doing this for others too.

Just now, njboyindc said:

Count me as another that couldn’t update my new passport info on the GE website. No idea why. But they were able to do it in a minute at my local enrollment center today. They didn’t seem surprised so I think they’ve been doing this for others too.

Guessing you went to the Reagan Building. Dulles seems to be doing a lot of them, too.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, twincheryl said:

Just did our GE a year early because of horrible wait times reported online... no interview needed and approval within 48 hours... new cards received within 2 weeks.  We were really surprised!

I was thinking of renewing ours early to ensure they’re done in time. Is the new set of 5 years from now or from next year? I just don’t want to short change us 1 year by renewing early. 

Just now, cruisequeen4ever said:

I was thinking of renewing ours early to ensure they’re done in time. Is the new set of 5 years from now or from next year? I just don’t want to short change us 1 year by renewing early. 

You can renew your Global Entry starting a year before it's expiration. The new expiration date will be your birthday 5 years from the original expiration date.

I just renewed with one month left on my GE card. Did it online, had to look at my pics to get all of the countries(40) in the past 5 years, as not all were stamped in the passport. Got the approval same day, and the card with the prior picture in a week. Had the same day refund to my credit card for the 100 dollar application fee.

Someone else in my family was able to update their passport information online, and was not required to go the actual office. This was out of DFW airport office. They got confirmation in 3 days of the update.

On passport renewals, we will be applying more than 6 months in advance, based on the current delay times. 

I got an email last week telling me my Global Entry expires soon and I should go online to renew it. I must have spent two hours today trying to do that and still can’t figure it out. Everything looked simple but when I finished it said to confirm each section which I did or tried to do. Everything looked right to me but when I got to the end it said there were five errors on the address section and to go back and correct it. I tried several times. I don’t understand the part about previous addresses. I don’t remember putting previous addresses in on the original application and I don’t even remember some of them they were so long ago. It wouldn’t take my application with the address where I live now and have lived for 25 years. So I added the two addresses before that which go back all the way to 1971. It’s still said to go back and correct five errors. Did anybody else have a similar problem? Did anyone else on a renewal list every address where they had ever lived? Did you fill out the application with just your present address and have it accepted? I need help and this is the only place I can think of to get it so I hope somebody has a suggestion for me.

7 hours ago, Sea Day Cruiser said:

I got an email last week telling me my Global Entry expires soon and I should go online to renew it. I must have spent two hours today trying to do that and still can’t figure it out. Everything looked simple but when I finished it said to confirm each section which I did or tried to do. Everything looked right to me but when I got to the end it said there were five errors on the address section and to go back and correct it. I tried several times. I don’t understand the part about previous addresses. I don’t remember putting previous addresses in on the original application and I don’t even remember some of them they were so long ago. It wouldn’t take my application with the address where I live now and have lived for 25 years. So I added the two addresses before that which go back all the way to 1971. It’s still said to go back and correct five errors. Did anybody else have a similar problem? Did anyone else on a renewal list every address where they had ever lived? Did you fill out the application with just your present address and have it accepted? I need help and this is the only place I can think of to get it so I hope somebody has a suggestion for me.

I recall doing all of the previous address entries whenI first got the card 4 years ago. I think I only had two entries there. I don't remember even seeing the question when I renewed. Just a guess, but are you somehow filling out an Initial application rather than a Renewal application? All of that earlier information should be in your record...

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

On 7/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, Sunshine2000 said:

Stan, Thank you for posting on this very timely subject.  I immediately checked on my Global Entry card for the expiration date.  I am going to expire soon and appreciate your and all contributors information and suggestions.

I can tell you from experience, DO NOT LET THE CARD EXPIRE BEFORE YOU GO TO RENEW IT!  You will loose Pre-Check until they approve your renewal if it expires.  As long as you renew before the expiration date, they will continue the pre-check while the renewal is being processed.  This happened back in Feb. so hopefully processing times are faster now.