Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier?

lawbrob

Hi: We are planning a 7 day Alaska Cruise this summer. This will be our first time to this wonderful state. For those of you who've already done this...which Glacier area is the "must see" for us first trippers? Glacier Bay or Hubbard? Thanks.

Brian, both you and Krazy Kruizer sure have made me and DW feel better. Our TA told us that we don't want to miss Glacier Bay over Hubbard and tried to book us the Zandam. Because the Zandam had no verandahs left, we opted to sail on the Oosterdam to Hubbard.

Richard

We've been to both places. It is a tough choice, IMO.

Glacier Bay, IMO, is more majestic due to the surrounding mountains, but we were awed by the intense calving of Hubbard Glacier last May-it was non-stop.

Remember there are no guarantees about calving or the weather or ice conditions. On our first visit to Glacier Bay it was barely visible due to the drizzle and fog. They are each worthy of a visit, but Hubbard was memorable for it's size and calving.

Hi Guys,

We did our first ever cruise last september and visited the Hubbard. It was worth the trip just to see this alone. Never been to Glacier Bay but the Hubbard was phenomonal.

Got a great photo of an eagle flying alongside the ship as we approached the Hubbard.

We were on the Infinity and the captain spun the ship slowly on it's axis so that everyone got a great view no matter what side of the ship they were on.

Have a great time wherever you go.

All the best,

Gordy.

I'd go for the Hubbard. It's bigger and more active than the glaciers in Glacier Bay. The only problem is that there are times when the ships stay back from the glacier due to excessive ice in the water. We were on the Ryndam in 2004 and the captain turned back over a mile from the glacier. (he took alot of heat for that). BUT - If you have never seen a tidewater glacier I think that either would prove to be facinating.

Hubbard---absolutely, positively.

On my first cruise to Alaska we went to both, and on beautiful days. Hubbard was by far the better of the two---And Glacier Bay was no slouch! The sail up Yakutat Bay that day has to have been one of the three most spectacular sails of my life.

The day was crystal clear---not a cloud to be seen. The mountains were still encrusted with snow and ice; the morning sun hitting them made them sparkle as if they were polished diamonds. The glacier sounded like cannons as it dropped the calving bergs. The waves advanced to the ship then made it rock---there was that much force.

Oh! to be able to go back and relive that day!

I hope yours is as spectacular.

We were at Hubbard Glacier in May of 2004 while we were on the Oosterdam, HUbbard Glacier is actually one of the reasons we fell in love with cruising Alaska. But for our second cruise to Alaska we wanted to try something different which is why we decided on cruising out of Vancover and doing a true Inside Passage and this time we will get to experience Glacier Bay.

I'd go with Hubbard, also. Glacier Bay was a big disappointment when we did it on the Volendam last summer. I've booked us on the Statendam this summer specifically to see Hubbard again...saw it about 10 years ago and thought it was magnificent. Both trips are fun, though..can't go wrong!

Enjoy!

Jan McN

Resolve the conflict with a B2B!

BTW - Hubbard may be more spectacular, glacier viewing wise, but as someone already mentioned Glacier Bay is more scenic. As a bonus, Park Rangers board your ship at the entrance to Glacier Bay. The Rangers provide commentary during the glacier viewing; then they set up shop in Crow's nest selling neat souvenirs and stamp your passport.

Archived