JamieLogical's Big NCL vs. Celebrity Thread

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I find myself outside a LOT.  The sunset bar is hard to stay away from, even in the evening after dinner.  🙂

I have never sailed on a ship with an outdoor bar that I was inclined to spend much time at, except the Sugarcane Mojito bar on the Bliss in the evenings. I hate the Spice H2O bar, because of the smoking. When I sailed the Gem, there was the Great Outdoors area, but it was FREEZING on that trip as it was Canada/NE in early June. Guess I will find out how I like the outdoor bar spaces on the Equinox in two more weeks!

Specialty restaurants on Celebrity are all smart casual.  And as far as jeans go, they don't have to be fancy, just no holes and probably a dark wash would be best.  Yes, Celebrity is dressier than NCL, but it is no where near as "formal" as you might expect.  The main dining room food is generally quite good.  I have tried almost all of the various specialty restaurants and while NCL's (at least on the Getaway) were better, some of the Celebrity ones are quite good.  Unfortunately, they changed my favorite one (Qsine) from a more global tapas type place to an odd animated chef thing.  I haven't tried it, but the menu is very limited.  

Be sure to check out the World Class Bar.  Some of the best drinks on the ship.  Would need the upgraded drink package (or pay the difference) for most of the drinks.  

One of my favorite parts about Celebrity is the Solarium.  Adult only indoor quiet pool.  Very relaxing and they have a small cafe in there that is nice for a light breakfast or lunch.  I was not a fan of the Spice H2O area on NCL either.  This is far better.  And no smoking.  

I will say, IMHO, the entertainment on NCL is vastly better.  To me, the production shows on Celebrity are just plain weird.  I know some people enjoy them, but I am not a fan.  If you want to check them out, I recommend what my DH and I call the "escape" seats.  They are bar type seating at the back of both levels and they make it much easier to leave if you are not enjoying yourself.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

Specialty restaurants on Celebrity are all smart casual.  And as far as jeans go, they don't have to be fancy, just no holes and probably a dark wash would be best.  Yes, Celebrity is dressier than NCL, but it is no where near as "formal" as you might expect.  The main dining room food is generally quite good.  I have tried almost all of the various specialty restaurants and while NCL's (at least on the Getaway) were better, some of the Celebrity ones are quite good.  Unfortunately, they changed my favorite one (Qsine) from a more global tapas type place to an odd animated chef thing.  I haven't tried it, but the menu is very limited.  

Be sure to check out the World Class Bar.  Some of the best drinks on the ship.  Would need the upgraded drink package (or pay the difference) for most of the drinks.  

One of my favorite parts about Celebrity is the Solarium.  Adult only indoor quiet pool.  Very relaxing and they have a small cafe in there that is nice for a light breakfast or lunch.  I was not a fan of the Spice H2O area on NCL either.  This is far better.  And no smoking.  

I will say, IMHO, the entertainment on NCL is vastly better.  To me, the production shows on Celebrity are just plain weird.  I know some people enjoy them, but I am not a fan.  If you want to check them out, I recommend what my DH and I call the "escape" seats.  They are bar type seating at the back of both levels and they make it much easier to leave if you are not enjoying yourself.  

I agree with you on the ncl entertainment vs celebrity.   We have had more fun at the Martini bar some nights vs the shows on celebrity.   We love celebrity cruises. We took our first ncl cruise on the encore TA and loved the different shows we could attend.  Big fan of comedy so loved that option too. 

15 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

I have already upgraded my drinks package. Talked about that in one of my earlier installments.

And the other fun thing to do is to do the glass blowing on the ship.  The cost is extra and depends on what you make, but the range (at least pre-Covid) was between $50 and $150.  My DH and I made tumblers which we both actually use for cocktails at home, but there are a bunch of options.  You can't sign up before you board, but if you go to the glass blowing area shortly after boarding, there should be someone there to help you.  Obviously, you are not left on your own to do this, you don't do everything, but it is enough to feel like you did actually make your item.  I would advise, however, if you want to do it, go for a morning session (it's already a hot enough thing to do) and not one in the final days of the cruise, because your glass piece has to cool down slowly.  I don't know what changes there will be to the procedures these days, but it was a lot of fun.  

7 minutes ago, maggieq said:

I agree with you on the ncl entertainment vs celebrity.   We have had more fun at the Martini bar some nights vs the shows on celebrity.   We love celebrity cruises. We took our first ncl cruise on the encore TA and loved the different shows we could attend.  Big fan of comedy so loved that option too. 

Some of the guest performers on Celebrity aren't bad, but even there NCL usually manages to do better in that category.  The "escape" seats are essential for us, because you just never know what you will get.  

Edited by rebeccac

4 hours ago, rebeccac said:

And the other fun thing to do is to do the glass blowing on the ship.  The cost is extra and depends on what you make, but the range (at least pre-Covid) was between $50 and $150.  My DH and I made tumblers which we both actually use for cocktails at home, but there are a bunch of options.  You can't sign up before you board, but if you go to the glass blowing area shortly after boarding, there should be someone there to help you.  Obviously, you are not left on your own to do this, you don't do everything, but it is enough to feel like you did actually make your item.  I would advise, however, if you want to do it, go for a morning session (it's already a hot enough thing to do) and not one in the final days of the cruise, because your glass piece has to cool down slowly.  I don't know what changes there will be to the procedures these days, but it was a lot of fun.  

Rebeccac, do you know if most X cruises have this option?  We are on Summit in March and I haven't heard anything about this aspect, which I know we would enjoy!

On 7/8/2021 at 7:01 PM, MorganClark said:

I've never sailed with Celebrity but I am booked in a Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) on Celebrity Edge on Oct 2-9, 2021. As a solo cruiser, that's why I wanted to try one of those SIVs. It's interesting that Edge has 16 SIVs, Apex has 24 and Beyond will have 32. It appears Celebrity is increasing it's marketing towards  us solo cruisers.

I read an article back when they switched to the always included that part of the reason they were doing it was to capture Gen x and the older millennials. I'm assuming part of that is influencing the solos. I'm not the oldest millennial but close and adding the drinks and solo cabins 100% has the Edge class on my radar. 

The pandemic made the next year of vacations mostly set due to rebookings, but after that I'll be adding them to the ships to check. 

7 hours ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Rebeccac, do you know if most X cruises have this option?  We are on Summit in March and I haven't heard anything about this aspect, which I know we would enjoy!

It's only on the Equinox, Eclipse and Solstice.

7 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I read an article back when they switched to the always included that part of the reason they were doing it was to capture Gen x and the older millennials. I'm assuming part of that is influencing the solos. I'm not the oldest millennial but close and adding the drinks and solo cabins 100% has the Edge class on my radar. 

The pandemic made the next year of vacations mostly set due to rebookings, but after that I'll be adding them to the ships to check. 

"Pull the trigger" on those SIVs! I'm also booked in one on the Apex (and I'm sure I will eventually book an SIV on Beyond).

16 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

After I try out Celebrity and solo sailing, I might be VERY interested in the solo infinite verandas on the newer ships. I think I would definitely prefer those to the inside studio cabins on NCL.

I agree Jaime.

Finally got an email that my cruise docs and luggage tags were available to print today! Printed them all out right away. Which reminded me of another small difference between Celebrity and NCL. They use different sized/shaped luggage tags! Celebrity has the tall, narrow ones and NCL has the short, wide ones. I already knew this and had ordered the right sized luggage tag holders a week or two ago, but I forgot to mention it in any of my previous installments.

• Like 4

On 7/14/2021 at 8:39 AM, JamieLogical said:

After I try out Celebrity and solo sailing, I might be VERY interested in the solo infinite verandas on the newer ships. I think I would definitely prefer those to the inside studio cabins on NCL.

Don't forget to add the solo balconies on Quantum class ships to your rotation. These balconies are the angled balconies you like and they more than nicely fit a lounge chair. Great location too. RCL is a good mix between NCL and Celebrity.  I didn't realize that you were so new to cruising, you have many wonderful options to explore!!!!

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Don't forget to add the solo balconies on Quantum class ships to your rotation. These balconies are the angled balconies you like and they more than nicely fit a lounge chair. Great location too. RCL is a good mix between NCL and Celebrity.  I didn't realize that you were so new to cruising, you have many wonderful options to explore!!!!

I feel unlikely to sail RCCL, because of the drink package situation on their ships.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

I feel unlikely to sail RCCL, because of the drink package situation on their ships.

Things change,... the drink package won't always be the same. RCL does offer a superior product in many areas and their solo balconies are the best at sea (IMO). Each line has a few things they do better than the others. IMO, Celebrity is a cut above them all, but I am interested to hear how you fair with the dress code.

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Things change,... the drink package won't always be the same. RCL does offer a superior product in many areas and their solo balconies are the best at sea (IMO). Each line has a few things they do better than the others. IMO, Celebrity is a cut above them all, but I am interested to hear how you fair with the dress code.

The mention of the dress code reminded me of another related topic. Here I have been going through all this effort to buy clothes that will allow me to adhere to the social norms on Celebrity, but I have completely left out the fact that my hair is currently green and will likely be rainbow colors by the time I sail (I have a hair appointment next Wednesday and my stylist and I had agreed on "oil slick" for my next hair color).

Here are the two sample photos I was planning to bring to her:

lucettesalon_-922x1024.jpg oil-slick-hair-red-accents-medium.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Here I have been going through all this effort to buy clothes that will allow me to adhere to the social norms on Celebrity

[shrieking in panic]

Will I have to buy new clothes for a cruise on Celebrity? My style is neither extremely casual nor extremely dressy, but how "smart" does "smart casual" have to be? The cruise isn't until April, so I have some time, if it's necessary.

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

The mention of the dress code reminded me of another related topic. Here I have been going through all this effort to buy clothes that will allow me to adhere to the social norms on Celebrity, but I have completely left out the fact that my hair is currently green and will likely be rainbow colors by the time I sail (I have a hair appointment next Wednesday and my stylist and I had agreed on "oil slick" for my next hair color).:

I think the hair style is beautiful and I wouldn't give it another thought. Of course, I wouldn't have given the overall dress code much thought either. However; I don't even own a pair of jeans so there's that :).

I dress pretty much the same at night for any Caribbean cruise. At most I typically bring: One pair of black capris, One pair of white capris, Two pair of linen pants and a sun dress. I pack in a carry on for 7 day Caribbean cruises so it's not like I'm dressing to the nine's. I think you are going to fit in more than you realize.

47 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

[shrieking in panic]

Will I have to buy new clothes for a cruise on Celebrity? My style is neither extremely casual nor extremely dressy, but how "smart" does "smart casual" have to be? The cruise isn't until April, so I have some time, if it's necessary.

It is unlikely you will need new clothes. See my above. 🙂 

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

The mention of the dress code reminded me of another related topic. Here I have been going through all this effort to buy clothes that will allow me to adhere to the social norms on Celebrity, but I have completely left out the fact that my hair is currently green and will likely be rainbow colors by the time I sail (I have a hair appointment next Wednesday and my stylist and I had agreed on "oil slick" for my next hair color).

Here are the two sample photos I was planning to bring to her:

lucettesalon_-922x1024.jpg oil-slick-hair-red-accents-medium.jpg

I really love this look. I wish I hadn't lost my mind and chopped all my hair off, not wanting to wear and mask and deal with hair. Growing it out is slow and painful.

14 hours ago, kochleffel said:

[shrieking in panic]

Really depends on what you already have. I never have to dress nicely for work or anything and wear jeans and t-shirts 99% of the time, so I really had nothing to meet the social norms of a Celebrity sailing, even if I could maybe squeak inside the "letter of the law" for their dress code. When I come back from my Equinox sailing, I will try to report on what I see onboard. I know clothes was one of my main concerns with deciding to sail Celebrity, so I want to report back with as accurate a picture as I can to help others who are considering Celebrity for the first time.

• Like 5

On 7/13/2021 at 11:58 AM, JamieLogical said:

Apparently jeans are okay as long as they are "nicer" jeans with a "dressier" top on normal night, but not the Evening Chic nights? All of my jeans are pretty frumpy. Not holey or frayed, but just not designer jeans by any stretch of the imagination. Also, I don't really have any shoes to wear with jeans besides sneakers and unless they are "nicer" sneakers, like maybe the leather ones my husband has, I don't think those would work either. Remember, some of my concern is what is socially acceptable, not just what is within the "letter of the law", because I don't want to stick out or feel judged.

It may be silly, but I have been known to watch cruise and travel vlogs just to observe what people in the background are wearing, I found it really helpful! 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Jonslola said:

It may be silly, but I have been known to watch cruise and travel vlogs just to observe what people in the background are wearing, I found it really helpful! 

Not silly at all. That is exactly how I ruled out Cunard for a world voyage. Their prices were attractive, but the social norm for dressing at dinner was far above what I am comfortable with. Excellent advice.

• Like 3