The Daily for Thursday Jul 08, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon to all. I have never been Dublin and have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the photos. Looks like a lovely area.

I had a very nice 10 day visit with my son, 5 of those days we were in Sedona. Everyday there would be smoke from the various wildfires in the area but sometime during the day a wind would come up clearing the air. One morning we had a brief rain that really helped brighten up the gorgeous scenery. He made it back to his home safely and is now back at work.

Update:  Kakalena started her radiation treatments today and she texted me that it went well and quite quickly. 

Jane

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jimgev said:

My most vivid memory of Dublin was the "Hunger Memorial". We were wandering around town and walked to the river. There is a park along the river near the old customs house. Along this park are life-size metal statues depicting desparate, emaciated people waiting to get into the customs house to obtain a permit to emigrate from the country back in the 1840's.

It really hit me hard. I just stood there for a long time realizing that my great grandfather was one of those people.

An incredibly emotional experience.

Yes I remember seeing that!  Very sad, the potato famine. 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Good afternoon to all. I have never been Dublin and have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the photos. Looks like a lovely area.

I had a very nice 10 day visit with my son, 5 of those days we were in Sedona. Everyday there would be smoke from the various wildfires in the area but sometime during the day a wind would come up clearing the air. One morning we had a brief rain that really helped brighten up the gorgeous scenery. He made it back to his home safely and is now back at work.

Update:  Kakalena started her radiation treatments today and she texted me that it went well and quite quickly. 

Jane

Wonderful on your visit, Jane 👍. Sorry about the fires and smoke though.

Thanks so much for the news on Kaklena.  Our hopes and prayers are with her 🙏🏻 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Tannins are the reason I have to avoid most red wines.  I don’t get it as I drink tea easily but the wrong red wine and my face is as a red as beet and I am unwell fast.   I know a few reds I can drink and enjoy them.

I take a teaspoon full at wine tastings but I don’t dare any more most times.

I stick to white for the most part unless I am sure the red won’t affect me.

It’s not that I don’t like reds - they don’t like me 😔 

Tyramines!!   🚫

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Thanks Rich and Roy. I do play a few games on my tablet but it’s like doing a jigsaw puzzle. I try to keep my mind active. As far as being a kid again I’m not sure I ever fully grew up. The 12k acre fire ten miles away has filled the sky with smoke. I just hope some of Oregon is left after this wildfire season. Prayers to all who need it and songs for those celebrating small and large victories. 

Stay safe,  ten miles is not that far when it comes to these wildfires.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all, Pat is golfing, so I have a bit of time to myself.  My neighbour, Ruth, is looking very frail, and I'm afraid her recovery from the surgery is going to be very slow. Her son leaves tomorrow, and then her sister is going to stay for a few days.   Another elderly neighbour goes to the hospital tomorrow for a hip replacement.   Oh, the joys of aging.  I'm thinking of, and praying for everyone on this board, too, who needs it!   My good news is that DD got her second vaccine yesterday, and the calendar is marked in two weeks for celebratory hugs.

As Pat is Irish, we have been to Ireland many times but just a few times in Dublin as he is from County Cork, so we spend most of our time about as far south as you can go!   It is getting more difficult now to rent a car there at our ages , I think our next visit will have to include one of our children to be the driver!

The gardeners are here today, so I must do a bit of organizing outside and try to fill the bin with garden debris for them to take.   

So glad your DD got her second shot.  Hugging loved ones is definitely a HUGE morale booster.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I know that was a big relief. Wine is in order to celebrate. 🥂

You have no idea how big a relief it was.  And DH approves completely.  

I was so worried it wouldn’t work.  And yes, it was wine o’clock here some time ago and we imbibed.  I did a bit of prep for Elsa but now it sounds like I need to do a whole lot more.  Seems things are changing for us.

We’ll wait until tomorrow, see what they say and if we have to do more work in the rain, so be it..  

Thanks for understanding. 👍. I am not lucky with dental work.  I really scored this time but I was very meticulous at following instructions 😉 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

So glad you ahd a good time with your DS and that he made it home safely.  Thank you for the update on Kakalena.  Wishing her the best.

6 hours ago, XBGuy said:

@TiogaCruiserChew tea leaves.  That will give you a good idea of what Tannin tastes like.  It may seem awful, but, when it is balanced by other dimensions in a wine, it become very important to the wine's enjoyment.

Luce della Vite is a terrific wine--and this is coming from the guy who is very upfront about his California wine preference. 

shopping.png.1131b4c909724089de59399f327ad6f0.png

Luce della Vite is the result of a partneership between Robert Mondavi and the Frescobaldi family in the early 1990s.  (You can thiink of it as almost being the Italian analog of the Opus One partnership between Mondavi and Phillippe de Rothschild.)     Mondavi sold his interest in the partnership, and, since 2004 vintage, the direction of Luce was entrusted solely to Lamberto Frescobaldi.  

Since this wine is made from a substatial amount of the non-traditional (for Tuscany) Merlot grape, it is called a Toscana IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica) wine--or, more colorfully, a "Super Tuscan."

Lucente della Vite is another Super Tuscan wine made by the same producer--a so called "second label."

738967208_shopping(1).png.365fb2673452a8f7cf2356f91238686c.pngLucente

Second labels are a great opportunity for consumers to try wines from outstanding makers ar a price that is a bit more palatable for most of us.  For readers in the United States who have the opportunty to purchase wine from the Total Wine stores, they sell the Luce for about $100.  However, they sell the Lucente for less than $30.  I have never had the opportunity to try the Lucente, but reliable acquaintences have reported that it is an excellent price performer.

We had the pleasure to enjoy a few bottles of Luce and to taste Opus One.  Good wines, but too pricey to buy often.  We'll have to look for the Lucente.

8 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

I woke up this morning with news from my cousin that a forest fire is 4 km from their home, and that they are evacuating.  Her husband and son are both volunteer firefighters so they will be remaining behind to help with battling the fire.  I have not been able to get them out of my mind and keep looking for an update from her.  I will report back when I know more.

In the meantime our temperatures have dropped substantially and it is possible to go outside without feeling as though you are stepping into the garden.  If we continue with the cooler weather I may even get back to my on going weed battle.

Val

Hoping your cousin evacuated safely, and that her DH and DS are all right.  They are brave to stay and fight the fire.

• Like 7

Good evening.

My power is finally back on after 28 hours. It took 8 hours just to clear down or damaged trees. There's still a lot of debris; not sure who's taking care of that. Then the power company came in force and got it done. People were shouting thank you from their porches  I think the freezers are safe but the fridge needs to be pretty much emptied. Tomorrow.

One interesting scary thing from the outages the day before due to transformer explosions (hot day overuse). An energized wire that had fallen ignited a fire under the street from a previously unknown gas leak, creating a potentially catastrophic situation. Kudos to our VFD on keeping us safe.

Good days. Childhood was carefree, but not sure I want to go back. I like blueberries and have been eating them lately. I play some Facebook games; does that count?

Great quote.

I've never made enchiladas. No to the drink, yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Dublin. Thanks for the great pictures.

@kazu- Good news on the dental work. Wow on those deer coming right up there and helping themselves. The trees are mainly on the strip of grass at the curb and actually belong to the Borough. So they do all the clean-up at no expense to homeowners. I was talking to the head guy saying I'm the only one who gets mine trimmed back from the house every few years; he said they'd do that too!

@mamaofamiI hope you get all the help you and Sam need for his care and rehabilitation.

@atexsix They took the streetlight arm off the pole and I pointed out the lamphead, so they took it. I hope a new light is installed soon.

@Vict0riann Congrats on DD getting her second shot. Hoping your neighbors do okay.

@Marmot@Sea Prayers for your cousin, her DH and son, and all in the path of the fires.

@lindaler Stay safe.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 13

45 minutes ago, kazu said:

You have no idea how big a relief it was.  And DH approves completely.  

I was so worried it wouldn’t work.  And yes, it was wine o’clock here some time ago and we imbibed.  I did a bit of prep for Elsa but now it sounds like I need to do a whole lot more.  Seems things are changing for us.

We’ll wait until tomorrow, see what they say and if we have to do more work in the rain, so be it..  

Thanks for understanding. 👍. I am not lucky with dental work.  I really scored this time but I was very meticulous at following instructions 😉 

Hope Elsa misses you.  If not stay safe.  Your diligence to instructions paid off. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good evening.

My power is finally back on after 28 hours. It took 8 hours just to clear down or damaged trees. There's still a lot of debris; not sure who's taking care of that. Then the power company came in force and got it done. People were shouting thank you from their porches  I think the freezers are safe but the fridge needs to be pretty much emptied. Tomorrow.

One interesting scary thing from the outages the day before due to transformer explosions (hot day overuse). An energized wire that had fallen ignited a fire under the street from a previously unknown gas leak, creating a potentially catastrophic situation. Kudos to our VFD on keeping us safe.

Good days. Childhood was carefree, but not sure I want to go back. I like blueberries and have been eating them lately. I play some Facebook games; does that count?

Great quote.

I've never made enchiladas. No to the drink, yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Dublin. Thanks for the great pictures.

@kazu- Good news on the dental work. Wow on those deer coming right up there and helping themselves. The trees are mainly on the strip of grass at the curb and actually belong to the Borough. So they do all the clean-up at no expense to homeowners. I was talking to the head guy saying I'm the only one who gets mine trimmed back from the house every few years; he said they'd do that too!

@mamaofamiI hope you get all the help you and Sam need for his care and rehabilitation.

@atexsix They took the streetlight arm off the pole and I pointed out the lamphead, so they took it. I hope a new light is installed soon.

@Vict0riann Congrats on DD getting her second shot. Hoping your neighbors do okay.

@Marmot@Sea Prayers for your cousin, her DH and son, and all in the path of the fires.

@lindaler Stay safe.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

That's good!  Also prayers for everybody in the northeast, the news showed flooding from all the rain.🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Would really strong, bottom of the cup (liquid) tea work?

( I’m taking this seriously because I really want to recognize the flavor. It keeps coming up in a lot of the reviews.)

The tannin in tea becomes stronger the longer it steeps. Make a strong cup of tea, and taste it when it’s steeped the right length of time. Then try it again after it has steeped too long. The sharp, almost astringent flavour that develops is the tannin.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The tannin in tea becomes stronger the longer it steeps. Make a strong cup of tea, and taste it when it’s steeped the right length of time. Then try it again after it has steeped too long. The sharp, almost astringent flavour that develops is the tannin.

Ah. Astringent. I know that flavor. I get it now.

(Not unpleasant for me. I’ve had cabs with that.😋)

Thanks.

• Like 2