RC to Alaska...?

Looking at RCCL's Serenade of the Seas' Alaska cruise for next summer 2022 for family reunion cruise for 40 cruisers.

Our parents who are huge Princess fans, & have done numerous Alaskan cruises on Princess, have been pushing hard for our group to book Princess.  However, the Serenade is $800 - $1500 less expensive for 7 night cruise, so that's a biggie for most of us.  Also, we're Diamond on RCCL, so it's an easy decision for us.

We've heard the Princess & HAL are huge & has great long-time experience in Alaska, but not too familiar with RCCL's in Alaska. 

The Serenade is an older & smaller ship than most others, but still pretty good, we think.

It's round-trip Vancouver to Vancouver, so should be a good cruise.

Thoughts...?

Usually vancouver route is cheaper than seattle, because of airfare. I can remember seeing princess offseason starting at 399 pp plus taxes advertised. It's no bargain. 

I was looking at quantum solo cabins, but they were only cheap when it first came out, not now. 

Any cruise to alaska is special, whomever it's on. 

• Like 1

It depends what you want to see. Royal doesn't do Glacier Bay which is pretty damn awesome. But there's one itinerary Royal has on a RT out of Vancouver than hits Hubbard which only happens on a 7 day with others that I've seen if you do a one way. 

Also Alaskan excursions are a lot more expensive if you're used to the Caribbean. That 800-1500 less could be some pretty bad ass excursions. I choose not to do the helicopter or plane rides because of the cost, but they're definitely on the bucket list for one trip. I spent $500 on excursions and I often don't even hit $200 on a Caribbean cruise. 

While the ship I was on happened to be NCLs newest, I don't think it changed a whole bunch. I had a bit more to do on the sea days, but I spent a ton of time relaxing in their observation lounge as we cruised along. And wasn't out quite as late most nights due to early port times. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 1

RCI Serenade is a great ship for Alaska. We've done the RT Vancouver an amazing option a couple of times. Our extended family is booked to do this exact cruise next September.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Looking at RCCL's Serenade of the Seas' Alaska cruise for next summer 2022 for family reunion cruise for 40 cruisers.

Our parents who are huge Princess fans, & have done numerous Alaskan cruises on Princess, have been pushing hard for our group to book Princess.  However, the Serenade is $800 - $1500 less expensive for 7 night cruise, so that's a biggie for most of us.  Also, we're Diamond on RCCL, so it's an easy decision for us.

We've heard the Princess & HAL are huge & has great long-time experience in Alaska, but not too familiar with RCCL's in Alaska. 

The Serenade is an older & smaller ship than most others, but still pretty good, we think.

It's round-trip Vancouver to Vancouver, so should be a good cruise.

Thoughts...?

With 40 people you should find a TA that can handle that for you.  They may have a group on that sailing (cheaper prices than Royal with a refundable deposit and OBC) and depending on the TA they may pass along the Tour Conductor credit (1 credit for every 8 cabins...cruise fare not including non commissionable fees as well as taxes)  First date in July I checked and the group rate for a balcony was $250pp cheaper

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone for your inputs.  Very informative.

We've went ahead & booked 21 cabins on the Serenade of the Seas for next June.  Got a great group rate.  Booked all the balconies on forward Deck 7, 8, 9, with a few all together, so hopefully we can open the balcony dividers & make super-balconies.  Spending a few extra days in Vancouver should be nice also...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thanks everyone for your inputs.  Very informative.

We've went ahead & booked 21 cabins on the Serenade of the Seas for next June.  Got a great group rate.  Booked all the balconies on forward Deck 7, 8, 9, with a few all together, so hopefully we can open the balcony dividers & make super-balconies.  Spending a few extra days in Vancouver should be nice also...

I think you'll be happy you booked Serenade....However I don't believe the balcony dividers open on the Radiance class ships...but regardless enjoy your cruise !!

• Like 1