Carnival (non-elegant night) dining room dress code

mpacker

17 minutes ago, mpacker said:

We are going on horizon on 18th of July.... 

What is the dress code for dining room during non-elegant nights?  shorts allowed?

thanks

It's in faq on carnival site, long shorts allowed. 

This may start a war, but the "dress code" is really more of a suggestion. It's not like anyone is measuring skirt or short lengths or kicking people out.

As long as you don't show up in a bathing suit, you're good for the most part.

Nice casual is fine. Resort casual is another term, but you'll see everything. 

Formal night is also a suggestion. I'm done with ties and suits, next time I'll be buried in one.

No one has ever kicked me out or refused me from the dining room. I wear nice dark jeans and a polo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

This may start a war, but the "dress code" is really more of a suggestion. It's not like anyone is measuring skirt or short lengths or kicking people out.

As long as you don't show up in a bathing suit, you're good for the most part.

Nice casual is fine. Resort casual is another term, but you'll see everything. 

Formal night is also a suggestion. I'm done with ties and suits, next time I'll be buried in one.

No one has ever kicked me out or refused me from the dining room. I wear nice dark jeans and a polo.

I think the lomg shorts is designed to cover your butt on cloth chairs. I dont want to sit where someone else did if they cant... seems like a sensible rules, shorts long enough to cover you on a cloth chair. Like golf shorts. Short shorts are no different than a bathing suit. 

Why do people feel they are special and long shorts too much to ask. Just follow the rules and no imo they are the rules .. not suggestions. 

• Like 1

I’m a sundress and capris kinda gal for casual dining room wear on a cruise. I do put on a nice dress for formal night (not a gown).  I don’t think people have to be dressed to the nines to enjoy a cruise, but I wear shorts and tees while hanging around my house watching TV and doing the dishes...I want to feel a little special on vacation.  

So I don’t understand the shorts and logo tees crowd for dining and evenings on the boat, but they don’t offend me. I’ll do me, you do you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, toby #1 said:

In the dining room I have seen people that looked like they were going on the Red Carpet and some that looked like they were going to Walmart.  I'm thinking anything goes.

That was my point.

They have "rules" but they're not strict on them

2 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

I’m a sundress and capris kinda gal for casual dining room wear on a cruise. I do put on a nice dress for formal night (not a gown).  I don’t think people have to be dressed to the nines to enjoy a cruise, but I wear shorts and tees while hanging around my house watching TV and doing the dishes...I want to feel a little special on vacation.  

So I don’t understand the shorts and logo tees crowd for dining and evenings on the boat, but they don’t offend me. I’ll do me, you do you. 

Ditto... I don't understand the shorts and tees looking like you are headed to the beach.  How hard is it to put something a little "nicer" on to eat in a more formal setting.  And for the love of God people, in case your momma didn't tell you - you don't wear hats at the dinner table.  Leave the ball caps in the room!

• Like 2

one time on a cruise i was bothered by a passenger wearing a tank top with his underarm hair sticking  out , at specialty dining . thankfully the manager asked him to put on a shirt . 

i think dressy shorts are ok in the mdr on casual nights .  

7 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

one time on a cruise i was bothered by a passenger wearing a tank top with his underarm hair sticking  out , at specialty dining . thankfully the manager asked him to put on a shirt . 

i think dressy shorts are ok in the mdr on casual nights .  

Haven't seen you in awhile!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve551 said:

My dress on:

Casual Night: Slacks & a button down shirt

Elegant Night: Slacks &  a button down shirt

Socks & shoes too 🙂

Kindred Spirits! 👍👍 🥂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I have gotten away with Shorts and a Polo 

And usually wear nice jeans and a button down on Elegant nights, Shoot me I am on of those. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10297195

Edited by seaman11

6 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I used to dress nicely on Carnival cruises, but now I'm more of a shorts and tee kinda cruiser. I've found most people wear anything but poolside clothing to dinner. I've never been offended (well, some shirts sure do cross the line with the messaging) and I'm one who used to be appalled at the casual dress on Carnival. I'm joining them. 🙂 No holes and nothing stinks, so it's all good.

I like your thinking.

19 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

A lot of these issues started in my opinion, When the airlines started charging for bags....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

A lot of these issues started in my opinion, When the airlines started charging for bags....

Very good point!

Also, I think the view on being on vacation and not wanting to dress up has gotten stronger as others see people dressing down more.  

• Like 1

For me...

Casual night = nice shorts/polo

Elegant night = nice slacks/collared short sleeved shirt.  I likely won't bring a jacket unless it's a longer cruise and I do checked luggage.