The Daily for Monday Jul 12, 2021

richwmn

41 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Okay, my question of the day hasn't been asked:  If eyes are different colors, what does the drivers license read for eye color?  

Good question and I can’t answer it but my eyes do change colour depending on what I’m wearing and my mood.  (DH says when I am mad they are yellow LOL).  The people at the driver’s license solved it by calling them hazel even though they always aren’t 😉 

41 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Our smoke from the fires in states West of us is worse than last year when the fire was only 10 miles away!  Our temps are just brutal currently.  Was 107 last Friday!  Will be "quite mild" today as it is only supposed to get to 102.

Oh dear on the smoke and fires.  So scary.  Stay safe and we’ll pray for rain and that things can improve for everyone being haunted by the wildfire threat 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

@mamaofamiHope you get things worked out for an aide for Sam. There are good people out there, and right now you deserve to find one.

@lindalerHappy to hear the smoke isn't as bad.  Enjoy your visit with your family.

@smitty34877Sweet picture of baby and Dad.

Thanks to all who posted pictures today.  What a beautiful place.

I have a friend who has different colour eyes.  She once had a rabbit, with the same colour eyes!  Made for each other.

Pecan pie is a favourite with most of my family, especially all the males.  It is expected there will be one at any family gathering.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I agree with you and your dad on nuts and coconut, but I do enjoy raisins in oatmeal cookies.

I noticed you didn't include chocolate chips in your list of "junk" not to add to baked goods. 

Oh no.  Chocolate truly is a gift from the Gods!  Bring it on.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon,

Appreciate all the pictures.  Especially of Camilla and her dad.  How sweet.

Pecan pie was a staple at Christmas.  But way too rich for me.  I stuck with the pumpkin.  

Just had my tetanus shot...I was overdue for it.  And my second shingle shot.  One in each arm.  We are still taking care of the grandkids.  Told my DH they are all his tomorrow if I am a bit grouchy from the shots!!  LOL!

We survived the moving day yesterday of our Portland kids. They are close to us here in Vancouver, WA.  Still a lot to accomplish but a great start.  Glad the grands go back to their summer school session starting Wednesday.  We will just be back helping with transportation.  So days will be free to catch up on stuff!  So glad we can help.  When they start school in the fall , they can walk to it.  Yay!!

Prayers to all on the care list. Cheers to those celebrating.  Thanks to all who post.  

Stay well and safe!  

• Like 16

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Thanks Rich for the daily report. Today my daughter will be here with her two children. It’s been two years since I’ve seen her or my grandchildren. She had not been to my simple cabin on the river. The smoke is lifting so swimming, boating and kayaking will be fun. Meals are planned but no pecan pie. Just simple root beer floats for desert. 

Know your excited to see them.  Have fun and enjoy the visit.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'm with you on chocolate.  Prefer no nuts or coconut in cookies, but won't turn them down.  But PLEASE leave the raisins out.

Definitely leave the raisins out.  I usually have to turn down oatmeal cookies because they are always in there 😞

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Everybody,

This is my first visit to this site. Thanks for all the comments. I think I will return. Maybe not every day, though.

My favorite pie - Key lime. My favorite drink - Pina Colada. Do not eat/drink them very often - health reasons but willing to give it a go in December at least once.

Cruising on the Rotterdam 12/01/21 with cousins from NC. celebrating our anniversary (54) and our birthdays (80 for me, 78 for Madie). Honeymooned in 1967 on St. Thomas. Shibui, a Japanese cottage style hotel, now condos. Strawberry Daiquiris at the Hotel 1829. Looking forward to see if it is still in business.

First cruise was 1959 on the Nieuw Amsterdam (1938 version). Sailed on her again in 1966 (same table server!). Westerdam, Panama Canal from FL to Seattle in 2012. Oosterdam from Rome to FL in 2016. In 1959, took the SS Constitution from Genoa to New York City. Both 1959 trips were 8 nights.

Celebrated my 75th and Madie's 73rd on that. Since we were going to Rome, we thought we could add Florence before the cruise. Decided to add Venice before Florence. Madie's family came from Vienna so we added that before Venice. I always wanted to see Prague (WWII spy thrillers and more; I have posted nearly 250 book reviews on GoodReads.com). Flew from Seattle to New York City to Oslo to Prague.

I have a great story about a bird poop scam that happened to us in Barcelona in 2009 (Navigator of the Seas) pre-transatlantic cruise). Three hours in a Barcelona police station. Two hours getting new passports.

In 1989 on the Costa Riviera to celebrate my father's 85th birthday (August) we played tag with a hurricane in the Caribbean. Great videos of that.

Hope to meet you all on a cruise someday. Stay well.

Welcome to the daily from a fellow Washingtonian.  Enjoyed reading your background story especially from one who sailed on a HAL ship in 1959.  In 1959 I began sailing for two years on a U.S. Navy ship, USS Pine Island (AV-12), a seaplane tender.  Somewhat different from a cruise ship, but we saw a lot of the Far East.  I am guessing from your avatar that you once lived in White Plains, NY.  Is that right?

Ray

• Like 11

The Dailyn has been busy today.  I know I missed making some comments that I wanted to make,but I'm too tired to go back now to find out hem.

While I was doing laundry today, I went through the closet and a cabinet and found more stuff to take to the local thrift store and Goodwill in Waco tomorrow'.  I also found a stash of spare pillows I'd forgotten about.  That was four more loads to wash so we can tell if they are worth keeping.

Lenda 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Good question and I can’t answer it but my eyes do change colour depending on what I’m wearing and my mood.  (DH says when I am mad they are yellow LOL).  The people at the driver’s license solved it by calling them hazel even though they always aren’t 😉 

Oh dear on the smoke and fires.  So scary.  Stay safe and we’ll pray for rain and that things can improve for everyone being haunted by the wildfire threat 🙏🏻 

I always thought Hazel was more brown 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Well, today is interesting, to say the least.   I got to the gym and found out my water class had been cancelled.  I should have gotten a notification from them, but it didn't arrive until half way through the class time.  So, I did the weight machines and walked the water channel.  

Then, I went to my doctor's appointment and found out that she was running two hours behind due to an emergency.   So, I am rescheduled for a televisit this afternoon.  She'll probably be late for that.  

I am supposed to attend a Zoom meeting tonight at 6 pm, but so far there is no link for it.   Arrrrggghhh!

Camilla and her daddy helped take some of the sting out of it all.   

Must be something in the air, we're having a day like that too.  Dear Dad's annuity was supposed to get deposited on the 2nd but didn't so we called the bank, then another bank, then they needed the transaction number and we had to call both banks again, ugh....it was 2 hours by the time we finished with that little project.  Everything computer related Dad planned to do will need to be done tomorrow now.   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Everybody,

This is my first visit to this site. Thanks for all the comments. I think I will return. Maybe not every day, though.

My favorite pie - Key lime. My favorite drink - Pina Colada. Do not eat/drink them very often - health reasons but willing to give it a go in December at least once.

Cruising on the Rotterdam 12/01/21 with cousins from NC. celebrating our anniversary (54) and our birthdays (80 for me, 78 for Madie). Honeymooned in 1967 on St. Thomas. Shibui, a Japanese cottage style hotel, now condos. Strawberry Daiquiris at the Hotel 1829. Looking forward to see if it is still in business.

First cruise was 1959 on the Nieuw Amsterdam (1938 version). Sailed on her again in 1966 (same table server!). Westerdam, Panama Canal from FL to Seattle in 2012. Oosterdam from Rome to FL in 2016. In 1959, took the SS Constitution from Genoa to New York City. Both 1959 trips were 8 nights.

Celebrated my 75th and Madie's 73rd on that. Since we were going to Rome, we thought we could add Florence before the cruise. Decided to add Venice before Florence. Madie's family came from Vienna so we added that before Venice. I always wanted to see Prague (WWII spy thrillers and more; I have posted nearly 250 book reviews on GoodReads.com). Flew from Seattle to New York City to Oslo to Prague.

I have a great story about a bird poop scam that happened to us in Barcelona in 2009 (Navigator of the Seas) pre-transatlantic cruise). Three hours in a Barcelona police station. Two hours getting new passports.

In 1989 on the Costa Riviera to celebrate my father's 85th birthday (August) we played tag with a hurricane in the Caribbean. Great videos of that.

Hope to meet you all on a cruise someday. Stay well.

Welcome neighbor!  I'm on the east side as well.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Must be something in the air, we're having a day like that too.  Dear Dad's annuity was supposed to get deposited on the 2nd but didn't so we called the bank, then another bank, then they needed the transaction number and we had to call both banks again, ugh....it was 2 hours by the time we finished with that little project.  Everything computer related Dad planned to do will need to be done tomorrow now.   

On the upside, we got all this done in one day!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I always thought Hazel was more brown 🤔

I guess not here.  They are green, go to brownish with yellow flecks and tinges of yellow.

Here our DMV calls them hazel and looking at pics it seems to fit a lot of colours.  I think it’s their “safe” bet to cover all angles 😉 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, atexsix said:

ugh 😱. My sympthaties.  I’ve been down the bouncing ball road and it’s no fun.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Hello everyone; Does anyone remember the Smothers Brothers? (I know I am showing my age) Tom Smothers had one green eye and one blue eye.

I thought he did -but couldn't remember for sure. Of course Tom would have the non-matching eyes. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Finally able to return to CC! The memorial service for DH went well on Saturday, so well attended that the church ran out of programs! It was gratifying,  so I have to agree with Dr. King's quote.

Ravenna looks interesting - thanks for the pictures. And it's wonderful to see little Camilla! Prayers that she continues to thrive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Finally able to return to CC! The memorial service for DH went well on Saturday, so well attended that the church ran out of programs! It was gratifying,  so I have to agree with Dr. King's quote.

Ravenna looks interesting - thanks for the pictures. And it's wonderful to see little Camilla! Prayers that she continues to thrive.

I'm glad everything went well for your DH's service; I was thinking about you and sending prayers for peace and comfort.

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NextOne said:

I am so pleased that your service for your DH went well.  It’s a true remembrance to him on how many came and cared.  ♥️ 

Blessings to you as you have gone through this.  It’s not an easy path.  Prayers and hugs from New Brunswick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I guess not here.  They are green, go to brownish with yellow flecks and tinges of yellow.

Here our DMV calls them hazel and looking at pics it seems to fit a lot of colours.  I think it’s their “safe” bet to cover all angles 😉 

My DM’s eyes are hazel and have the same flecks of color you have plus sometimes green, but brown is the base color. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 4