Enhanced Driver’s license to board closed loop cruise?

FWIW, my sister also sent in her passport renewal a long with applications of both her kids end of May and they showed up last week. When she checked the status online it just said processing, until the day before it arrived in the mail. 

It does seems to vary greatly by which passport office it gets sent to (she's on the west coast), but there is still some time to go before your cruise. I think it is good she is getting back up paperwork together now though, you don't want to be scrambling the day before you leave. 

3 hours ago, 3monkeys4me said:

FWIW, my sister also sent in her passport renewal a long with applications of both her kids end of May and they showed up last week. When she checked the status online it just said processing, until the day before it arrived in the mail. 

It does seems to vary greatly by which passport office it gets sent to (she's on the west coast), but there is still some time to go before your cruise. I think it is good she is getting back up paperwork together now though, you don't want to be scrambling the day before you leave. 

I’m hoping that happens for her, it will make it easier. Hers originally said processing in early July with 6 week timeframe and then the timeframe was changed to 12 weeks. We shall see.

13 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Myself, have Michigan Enhanced DL which is also Real(Star) Used it for Open Circuit Cruises last 10yrs... Though have Passport and Passport Card. Some point they will stop excepting my Enhanced DL for travel, been coming for 15yrs but always extended. 

Why would they stop accepting your EDL for domestic air travel? It is REAL ID compliant.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Why would they stop accepting your EDL for domestic air travel? It is REAL ID compliant.

Yes have had Enhanced for about Decade, REAL ID Compliant last yr. Was talking the push for Passports and Real ID, since 2006 been getting Annual Delays ever since. Then Open Loop Cruises, like International Flights at some point Passports be Required. Funny thing is during Pandemic last yr my Enhanced DL expiring and wasn't REAL ID Compliant. Was allowed get new Compliant online, then they just used my picture from 4yrs ago. Next time get updated DL picture I'll be 59, my current picture was done at age 51

53 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes have had Enhanced for about Decade, REAL ID Compliant last yr. Was talking the push for Passports and Real ID, since 2006 been getting Annual Delays ever since. Then Open Loop Cruises, like International Flights at some point Passports be Required. Funny thing is during Pandemic last yr my Enhanced DL expiring and wasn't REAL ID Compliant. Was allowed get new Compliant online, then they just used my picture from 4yrs ago. Next time get updated DL picture I'll be 59, my current picture was done at age 51

That's the thing, EDLs have always been REAL ID compliant since the requirements to get one are stricter than they are for REAL ID compliant ones. An EDL is on the same level as a passport card when it comes to travel documentation and may be used for the same things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

That's the thing, EDLs have always been REAL ID compliant since the requirements to get one are stricter than they are for REAL ID compliant ones. An EDL is on the same level as a passport card when it comes to travel documentation and may be used for the same things.

Agree. Year ago had 2 different TSA try tell me my EDL wasnt Compliant w/o the Star on it. and that needed get that fixed or wouldnt be accepted after Oct2020(b4 last extension). Knew I was good already. Also had Passport Card and was due to get new DL anyway(Done)

Edited by ONECRUISER

8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. Year ago had 2 different TSA try tell me my EDL wasnt Compliant w/o the Star on it. and that needed get that fixed or wouldnt be accepted after Oct2020(b4 last extension). Knew I was good already. Also had Passport Card and was due to get new DL anyway(Done)

Ah, yes, the TSA, well, I'm flying in September so I'll stop myself right there.😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Yes you can do it, but it gets complicated if you got married and change your name. I've heard instances of them not asking for it, but technically you need to have bridge documents. So someone married twice needs birth certificate, marriage certificate, and second marriage certificate. If you changed your name back to your maiden one between marriages you probably wouldn't need the first one. 

They have always ask to see my and my DL and BC are under 2 different names.  Of course I'm old so that might be why they have never questioned it.  I have never carried any of my marriage certs, mostly because lord only knows where they are and they have never ask for it...lol

But, this is only my experience.

11 minutes ago, takeabreath3 said:

They have always ask to see my and my DL and BC are under 2 different names.  Of course I'm old so that might be why they have never questioned it.  I have never carried any of my marriage certs, mostly because lord only knows where they are and they have never ask for it...lol

But, this is only my experience.

Just an FYI you might want to hunt them down if you want to fly after May 2023. Luckily you have some time as the pandemic extended that date. 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:42 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Myself, have Michigan Enhanced DL which is also Real(Star) Used it for Open Circuit Cruises last 10yrs... Though have Passport and Passport Card. Some point they will stop excepting my Enhanced DL for travel, been coming for 15yrs but always extended. 

Why would they stop?

The only reason for the EDL is to travel to Canada without a passport.

It is also REAL ID compliant, so meets all those requirements.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Why would they stop?

The only reason for the EDL is to travel to Canada without a passport.

It is also REAL ID compliant, so meets all those requirements.

And Mexico. And Bermuda and islands in the Caribbean. As I mentioned, it functions in the same way as a passport card and while it is a niche document it serves the needs of many.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

And Mexico. And Bermuda and islands in the Caribbean. As I mentioned, it functions in the same way as a passport card and while it is a niche document it serves the needs of many.

But why would someone say it will no longer be allowed for travel????

That is WHY it exists.

40 minutes ago, SRF said:

But why would someone say it will no longer be allowed for travel????

That is WHY it exists.

People are sometimes mistaken (and the previous poster's source was a TSA employee, so even those who should know better oftentimes don't).

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

People are sometimes mistaken (and the previous poster's source was a TSA employee, so even those who should know better oftentimes don't).

Yes, Thank you. Wasn't going argue with Agent. Knew I was in the right. Been traveling more then home for Military, US Govt and now since Retirement since 1981. Even now still Fly at least Dozen times a yr. Have my EDL, Passport and Passport Card so no worries...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

True.

And TSA is not the governing body for acceptable ID for foreign travel.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, ONECRUISER said:

That's okay, I've had to have a TWIC (Transport Workers Identification Credential) to get through ports to join/leave ships, for years now (since 06, IIRC).  Since I had to pay for it, and it was issued by TSA itself, I decided early on to use it exclusively when traveling by air.  It took a decade before they were universally recognized by TSA at all airports.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, misguy said:

But if you do experience it, you will wish you had spent the extra dollars to get the passport.

That is the way I think about it. 

On 7/20/2021 at 12:08 PM, SRF said:

Considering the cost of a cruise, why would anyone NOT pay for the expedited service and shipping?????

I also agree with this statement. 

3 hours ago, SRF said:

True.

And TSA is not the governing body for acceptable ID for foreign travel.

No they aren't, but the conversation the previous poster had was in the realm of acceptable ID for domestic air travel and they are kinda the governing body for that. 

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That's okay, I've had to have a TWIC (Transport Workers Identification Credential) to get through ports to join/leave ships, for years now (since 06, IIRC).  Since I had to pay for it, and it was issued by TSA itself, I decided early on to use it exclusively when traveling by air.  It took a decade before they were universally recognized by TSA at all airports.

I'd bet there is still that one guy...

No they aren't, but the conversation the previous poster had was in the realm of acceptable ID for domestic air travel and they are kinda the governing body for that. 

But in the case of Domestic air travel, an EDL is also a REAL ID, so will work even if they stop issuing EDLs.

EDLs only exist for international travel to limited places.

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

But in the case of Domestic air travel, an EDL is also a REAL ID, so will work even if they stop issuing EDLs.

EDLs only exist for international travel to limited places.

Yes and evidently the TSA agent in question wasn't aware of that. I haven't heard any talk here of them stopping the issuance of the EDL.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:06 AM, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, Thank you. Wasn't going argue with Agent. Knew I was in the right. Been traveling more then home for Military, US Govt and now since Retirement since 1981. Even now still Fly at least Dozen times a yr. Have my EDL, Passport and Passport Card so no worries...

So this is interesting and not something I knew.  I have an EDL (border state) and I need to renew my passport.  But I have cruises August, September, November and January!  I'm thinking my best bet is to renew right after the November cruise, but I doubt it will be back (even WITH expedited) before the January cruise.  So you are saying RCL will accept just the EDL without my birth certificate?