The Daily for Tuesday Jul 13, 2021

richwmn

Today is Barbershop Music Appreciation Day, Embrace Your Geekness Day, and Fool's Paradise Day

Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. - George Gershwin

Meal suggestion for today - Sesame Crusted Tuna Steaks

Drink of the Day - Coconut Rum

Wine of the day - Deakin Estate Chardonnay - Australia - White

Destination of the Day - Djupivogur Iceland

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Port Everglades eta 7/14

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 7/15
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle eta 7/14

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0713World.thumb.png.8af80888669aa7268c06236a71aacf32.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  Fool's Paradise Day - what fun!

Love the quote by Gershwin.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, not a fan of tuna.

I think I'll like the wine, not sure about the drink of the day.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I had to google Fools Paradise and Dr. Google says it's a day off to relax so for the retired it's pretty much every day.  I love barbershop and embrace my geekness.  I was scheduled for Djupivigor once but missed it due to weather.  Nieuw Amsterdam will be passing the Columbia Bar in a couple of hours and be off the coast of Washington.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Cantaloupe boat, Chilled Blueberry Soup, and Quail with Apricot Bread Stuffing as served on MS Rotterdam July 13, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Hoping for a proper caregiver for Sam
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
Pope Francis in hospital
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Scout Jamie C in hospital for major surgery
Marmot@sea’s cousin close to wildfire
bennybear DD(shingles) and DSIL(Infection)
wandb’s sister in surgery

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

welcome aboard Galley Slave
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
Babt Camila united with her dad
A wediding for Ger_77
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone, thank-you for our Tuesday report Rich.  I enjoy listening to barbershop music although I don’t hear it as much lately.  I’ll embrace my inner geek while living in a fool’s paradise, intriguing and scary at the same time!  Life hums along more smoothly when you have the ability to improvise.  Tuna steaks sound good as does the wine. I can’t wait for the photos of today’s port as I have not been, yesterday’s were fantastic thanks for sharing everyone!  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list and to all that need them. Cheers to all celebrating a happy event.

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!    

Wow, is today my day.   I love fresh tuna and this recipe looks like a keeper.  I also like coconut rum and the wine of the day sounds really good as well.   I'd be happy to listen to some barbershop quartet music while sipping the wine and nibbling on my tuna.   

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sesame-crusted-tuna-steaks

209869155_sesamecrustedtunasteaks.jpg.fd99952979c73389b31ea7e6be00bfbd.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

TBH I have never heard of barbershop music or any of the artists and I was a record sales rep for 3 years in the early 1980s.

I did go to my regular Barbers yesterday for a haircut and his shop is very unique.

I learned how to improvise from an early age.

I have never had the food or drink of the day or been to Iceland.

We are taking flowers to the cemetery later to put on Pauline's grandparents grave and also on her baby brothers grave.

Prayers to everyone on the care list.

Stay safe everyone.

Graham.

• Like 23

Morning to all!  It's a cloudy, misty start to our day here.  Hope it's a great day where you are.

My what a group of days we celebrate today.  There is a time and a place for everything including barbershop quartet music.  I'd be happy to embrace my geekness, if I was a geek.  Fool's Paradise Day is every day.  Thanks to Rich for taking his time each morning to compose our Daily, to Roy for his contributions each day, and to all who post here.  Prayers for those who are in need, and cheers to all who celebrate today.

I have not been to Djupivogur, Iceland yet, but who knows, maybe Cat is stopping off there today on her fantastic Iceland adventure!  No photos from me to share but I hope someone else will have some.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

Loved barbershop music back in the day - haven’t heard any for some time.  I’d be living in a Fool’s Paradise if I believed I had geekiness to embrace 😂 

Love the Gershwin quote and it’s ever so true.  The meal suggestion for today sounds great & I believe that wine is a winner if it’s the one I’ve had 👍 

HAL’s brand ambassador Seth is doing a live report today at 3 pm ET (4 PM ADT) & noon PT on the changes on Navigator and why it SO important. 

Another hot one today.  

26B20391-EC1C-4129-B853-DF97CAE2511A.thumb.jpeg.b3e206bc884d81e648f408df609f42e9.jpeg

The gardens seem to like it.

E4CCEAF2-EC36-49A4-9127-EC9CEB866E8A.thumb.jpeg.5b91d24fccf67f7b1ceeba2fa6665dc1.jpeg

F4F08192-D6A4-4B03-83C6-A158C9152271.thumb.jpeg.b7af1e4c46970573460535d38d8d2bad.jpeg

For the Garden Club participants, I found a great tip that I had to share:

A3399B39-F2FD-4805-B06D-DD072062C5CB.thumb.jpeg.b09084de712135be9a98bc854de3104a.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!!!

383BDD91-5038-4A2A-B291-9E3F0DF9008C.thumb.jpeg.5865d4bcfb7565af4453fb90db132ade.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I had to google Fools Paradise and Dr. Google says it's a day off to relax so for the retired it's pretty much every day.  I love barbershop and embrace my geekness.  I was scheduled for Djupivigor once but missed it due to weather.  Nieuw Amsterdam will be passing the Columbia Bar in a couple of hours and be off the coast of Washington.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Cantaloupe boat, Chilled Blueberry Soup, and Quail with Apricot Bread Stuffing as served on MS Rotterdam July 13, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Western wildfires
Pope Francis in hospital

From the rotation:

CatShepard in Iceland
A wediding for Ger_77
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the lists and meal alternative.

• Like 7

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and lists Rich and Roy.

Happy to have a day to celebrate Barbershop music. There is something just "happy" about the blending of voices into 4-part harmony. A great example can be found in the film: "The Music Man" which featured the award winning barbersjp quartet "The Buffalo Bills".

Love the Gershwin quote.

Listen to some music, be happy and stay safe.

Jim

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 23

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

Looking forward to seeing some photos from today's port of call.  Anyone else have trouble pronouncing cities in Iceland?🙃

I'd be more of a fan of Shiraz than a Chardonnay in Australia.

🙏Prayers for all in need and thank you to all who contribute.

16261765342816114515967040638962.png

• Like 23

Good morning.  I love listening to Barbershop Music, do not hear it anymore.  Not really a Geek but do enjoy Fool's Paradise.

Great Gershwin quote.

Will pass on the meal suggestion.

Have not been to Iceland, looking forward to the photo's.

Had a NASTY storm move thru last night, hope all our Floridians are safe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Lots of recipe's for Coconut Rum cocktail, especially just using the rum.

Coconut Rum Cocktail:

Three ingredients will make all your Pineapple Orange Coconut Rum Cocktail dreams come true.

Equal parts of orange juice and pineapple juice, and a splash (or a few splashes) of coconut rum to seal the deal.

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 7.54.24 AM.png

• Like 24

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

TBH I have never heard of barbershop music or any of the artists and I was a record sales rep for 3 years in the early 1980s.

A barbershop quartet is a group of four singers who sing music in the barbershop style, characterized by four-part harmony without instrumental accompaniment, or a cappella. The four voices are: the lead, the vocal part which typically carries the melody; a bass, the part which provides the bass line to the melody; a tenor, the part which harmonizes above the lead; and a baritone, the part that frequently completes the chord. The baritone sings either above or below the lead singer as the harmony requires. Barbershop music is typified by close harmony— the upper three voices generally remain within one octave of each other.(Wikipedia)

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

Western wildfires
Pope Francis in hospital

From the rotation:

CatShepard in Iceland
A wediding for Ger_77

Roy

Roy, I have been praying for your Scout Jamie. Can you share his upcoming surgery? 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!    

Wow, is today my day.   I love fresh tuna and this recipe looks like a keeper.  I also like coconut rum and the wine of the day sounds really good as well.   I'd be happy to listen to some barbershop quartet music while sipping the wine and nibbling on my tuna.   

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sesame-crusted-tuna-steaks

209869155_sesamecrustedtunasteaks.jpg.fd99952979c73389b31ea7e6be00bfbd.jpg

Deb I love this recipe! I love fresh tuna sushi too. Looking forward to trying this. Thank you. Joy

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, richwmn said:

A barbershop quartet is a group of four singers who sing music in the barbershop style, characterized by four-part harmony without instrumental accompaniment, or a cappella. The four voices are: the lead, the vocal part which typically carries the melody; a bass, the part which provides the bass line to the melody; a tenor, the part which harmonizes above the lead; and a baritone, the part that frequently completes the chord. The baritone sings either above or below the lead singer as the harmony requires. Barbershop music is typified by close harmony— the upper three voices generally remain within one octave of each other.

Thanks Rich. That is a great explanation and video of Barbershop. Great harmonies and lots of fun. I dare anyone to watch it and not haver a smile on their face.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Roy, I have been praying for your Scout Jamie. Can you share his upcoming surgery? 

No, I can't and am not really sure what it is.  Jamie is new; Luke came home from the hospital yesterday but still has a long road to recovery.  It's a small troop so 2 scouts in trouble is very sad.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

No, I can't and am not really sure what it is.  Jamie is new; Luke came home from the hospital yesterday but still has a long road to recovery.  It's a small troop so 2 scouts in trouble is very sad.

Roy

I'm sad for them as well. I'll keep them in prayer and hope for a full recovery. Thank you.

• Like 14

Good morning Dailyites. Rich a great Daily this morning,  thank you!

I love tuna, the wine and drink sounds good. Love Barbershop quartets.

Went to our (boring) fitness orientation yesterday so we could get our little dot on our badges to be allowed into the fitness centers and classrooms. We have 3 buildings here you can swim, play outdoor activities (pickleball is very popular) and a huge workout center and classes. Finally doors are fully open and no waiting outside in line.

Yesterday was cool and had a nice breeze. We took Elvis and went to dinner at a restaurant here in Sun City. Then friends stopped by for the evening and a glass of wine. 

Tomorrow is Allen's birthday. We are going to an early dinner, then a country music concert here in the ballroom. 

A lunch date today and I have a full class of Mahjongg students this afternoon. 

Take care, God bless, Prayers and Cheers!

image.png.3429ebe03926158c8044ee70ed9f0584.png

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add photo
  • Like 22