15 Nov Explorer Miami - Miami

mrlevin

On 7/15/2021 at 11:52 AM, Kwaj girl said:

Air lift to some of these alternate ports could be a problem.  Miami / Ft Lauderdale airports have many more flights in/out daily vs Charleston  or Mobile, for example.

Yeah, but I could drive to Charleston real easy.   😁

We are still booked. Norwegian Gem has been sailing out of Miami since the beginning of September, right? So I guess the brouhaha between NCLH and FL has been worked out. As far as going ashore is concerned, it really seems to depend on each port/country. I haven’t seen any Regent “policy “ where they are trying to be stricter than local laws allow except for 100% vaccinations. We are tired of waiting and are jumping in. We are planning/ hop to do some independent dive trips since Regent isn’t offering much in that department. We will see. 

• Like 1

It seems like the legal issues with Florida are less of a concern now, so that is good news for FL departures.. We’d never consider a cruise if it wasn’t fully vaccinated.  Regarding the Norwegian Gem, I see the CDC has color coded the ship as “yellow” and has started an investigation, so I am guessing someone must have tested positive recently on the ship. I can find no other info on that.  I guess it is bound to happen, wondering how Norwegian handled it etc. 

Unfortunately there has only been limited reporting from the first Splendor cruises.  There was some helpful info/discussion on that thread but the moderator closed it due to violating CC guidelines.  It would be nice to to have more reporting from Splendor….but I guess no news is good news! 

We are closer to “jumping in” to book this cruise. Will need to make a final decision this week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

It seems like the legal issues with Florida are less of a concern now, so that is good news for FL departures.. We’d never consider a cruise if it wasn’t fully vaccinated.  Regarding the Norwegian Gem, I see the CDC has color coded the ship as “yellow” and has started an investigation, so I am guessing someone must have tested positive recently on the ship. I can find no other info on that.  I guess it is bound to happen, wondering how Norwegian handled it etc. 

Unfortunately there has only been limited reporting from the first Splendor cruises.  There was some helpful info/discussion on that thread but the moderator closed it due to violating CC guidelines.  It would be nice to to have more reporting from Splendor….but I guess no news is good news! 

We are closer to “jumping in” to book this cruise. Will need to make a final decision this week!

Sunprince - I am also wondering about the legal confrontation (is it still going to court?) between NCLH and Florida?  I haven't seen any recent reporting on it. "Crickets"!  Florida was presumably not allowing NCLH to mandate and verify 100% vaccination for passengers and crew....and NCLH was saying that they would not sail out of/into Florida without the 100% verification.  So I'm wondering where things "stand"?  Things like this don't just "go away" by themselves.  Regards.  

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Sunprince - I am also wondering about the legal confrontation (is it still going to court?) between NCLH and Florida?  I haven't seen any recent reporting on it. "Crickets"!  Florida was presumably not allowing NCLH to mandate and verify 100% vaccination for passengers and crew....and NCLH was saying that they would not sail out of/into Florida without the 100% verification.  So I'm wondering where things "stand"?  Things like this don't just "go away" by themselves.  Regards.  

In a nutshell: NCLH took,Florida to court and won (July?). Florida has appealed, but there has not been a ruling yet by the appeals court, so in the meantime the 100% vaccination requirement stands.

• Like 2

Thanks all for your replies.  I have not found any new information on the current status of the FL legal appeal, so I have no idea as to timing/decision.  FDR has publicly said he would pull ships from FL if the 100% requirement needed to change, which is some comfort. Previous posts have covered those possibilities.  Safety on ship/excursions is probably more important to us than the actual departure port.  

Another complication for us,  is that we are now dealing with a new TA.  Our longtime TA who booked a high volume of Regent and luxury cruises and always provided us great service, informed us that they would not book this cruise for us.  Initially I thought they were looking after our best interests by not recommending clients book 2021 cruises, but later realized that they had actually become tired of dealing with administering clients cancelled cruises, FCCs whist not making (actually losing) any money.  Hoping the new TA works out! 

4 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Thanks all for your replies.  I have not found any new information on the current status of the FL legal appeal, so I have no idea as to timing/decision.  FDR has publicly said he would pull ships from FL if the 100% requirement needed to change, which is some comfort. Previous posts have covered those possibilities.  Safety on ship/excursions is probably more important to us than the actual departure port.  

Another complication for us,  is that we are now dealing with a new TA.  Our longtime TA who booked a high volume of Regent and luxury cruises and always provided us great service, informed us that they would not book this cruise for us.  Initially I thought they were looking after our best interests by not recommending clients book 2021 cruises, but later realized that they had actually become tired of dealing with administering clients cancelled cruises, FCCs whist not making (actually losing) any money.  Hoping the new TA works out! 

It can be a huge amount of work to rebook a cruise 6 - 10 times without pay...