How many are getting approved exemptions for unvaccinated kids?

1 hour ago, NewKansasKruiser said:

Curious as to how many have applied for exemptions for unvaccinated kids?  How many were approved and how many have been denied?  

We have one coming up in October and wondering what our odds are.  

I'm sailing right now with my daughter who received an exemption. The only denials that I saw were for adults.

• Like 2

I am freaking out. I have two kids.. One thatll be vaccinated within ONE WEEK of the needed time and one thats only 9 y/o. :{ My first booking is the Sept 27 m-f Mexican Cruise, so I am hoping that my 9 y/o gets in.

My daughters Bday is Aug14th, I'm taking her that very day to get her shot. If I do the second shot exactly 3 weeks out she will be fully vaccinated by the week before we sail.. 

Edited by KyloRen
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, KyloRen said:

I am freaking out. I have two kids.. One thatll be vaccinated within ONE WEEK of the needed time and one thats only 9 y/o. :{ My first booking is the Sept 27 m-f Mexican Cruise, so I am hoping that my 9 y/o gets in.

My daughters Bday is Aug14th, I'm taking her that very day to get her shot. If I do the second shot exactly 3 weeks out she will be fully vaccinated by the week before we sail.. 

Hope yours works out also!   Ours is a 7 year old....the plan is he will get the vaccine (if they start offering them to his age group like they are talking in early September).  I just hate not knowing and getting his hopes up he will be cruising again and then not be able to go.  

• Like 1

We sail on Breeze 7/29 and there are a number of people whose exemption requests were denied. I mean, it's just math - less than 5% is not many, period. I wish all of you trying the best, but if this had all happened when my son was still little I would have found a different vacation for a while... Between the masks, no kids club, multiple tests, bubble excursions, it's just not optimal right now, to say the least.

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, KyloRen said:

As per the Carnival website, you must be fully vaccinated 14 days before your sailing date.  I don't think your daughter will be allowed to sail. 

53 minutes ago, KyloRen said:

She will have to have that 2nd shot at least TWO weeks before you sail. How old is she  Can you move the 1st shot back a couple of weeks?

1 hour ago, KyloRen said:

If Carnival doesn’t extend an exemption for your children, keep in mind that other cruise lines are allowing children to sail without having to apply for exemptions. I recently booked a short 3 night MSC cruise out of Miami for September in part because their policy states that all children under the age of 12 traveling with vaccinated adults will be treated as vaccinated guests. They’ll need to take an antigen test at the port (like all other guests) though. 

In addition to MSC’s generous health and safety protocols for children, they are also offering free balcony upgrades and a kids sail free promotion. Between these two promotions, we are sailing for $95pp (plus taxes). Can’t beat that. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Tapi said:

If Carnival doesn’t extend an exemption for your children, keep in mind that other cruise lines are allowing children to sail without having to apply for exemptions. I recently booked a short 3 night MSC cruise out of Miami for September in part because their policy states that all children under the age of 12 traveling with vaccinated adults will be treated as vaccinated guests. They’ll need to take an antigen test at the port (like all other guests) though. 

In addition to MSC’s generous health and safety protocols for children, they are also offering free balcony upgrades and a kids sail free promotion. Between these two promotions, we are sailing for $95pp (plus taxes). Can’t beat that. 

Shhhh.. Don't tell people there are other options for vacations.... how will they whine and complain about their rights 🙂

Interesting to see different cruise lines doing different things. I know Cunard isn't cruising until November because of the restrictions in the U.K. 

I prefer what Carnival is doing, at least I can cruise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KyloRen said:

Have you checked that you need to wait until her birthday? I work for the vaccination centre in Vancouver, Canada, and as long as the year of birth means they are turning 12 in 2021, they are good to go. We have vaccinated plenty of 11 year olds who have late birthdays...might be different in the US, but worth asking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoke to a Carnival rep this morning and she said that almost half of her phone calls, that are NOT questions,  are families rebooking for a later date OR getting a refund.  Mostly rebooking for 2022 and 2023. 

Don't blame parents for rebooking later on because 2021 doesn't seem like a fun time to cruise for families.

• Like 4

We're supposed to be on the Pride this October, with 5 grandkids, all under 5 years old.  

Final payment is due in two weeks, so I'm still waiting to see what the protocols will be as far as exemptions, closings, etc., but I think we'll just rebook for next year.  I just don't think it will be an enjoyable cruise for us, our kids and grandkids.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tiffy0428 said:

Is she restricted from doing things?

The only restrictions involve going off the ship. She must do bubble tours.  The kids clubs are closed and they're not doing the Dr Seus stuff but everything else is open.  She's had a blast and the crew has done a great job making her cruise special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you do the rough math on these "smaller" ships, they are sailing with ~3,000 passengers max. That only gives 150 unvaxxed exemptions. I don't know the numbers, but I would guess the typical number is probably 2x that if not more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AtoZgirl said:

We’re sailing Sunday on the Horizon and our two kiddos were approved. Many other kiddos were approved, based off the sailing group page.

Can I ask when you heard about the approval? We are scheduled to sail August 7 (3 weeks from now) and still haven't heard. It's very frustrating because we are waiting to book airfare, hotel, etc.  Our PVP had thought we'd hear at least 30 days before but no luck so far. 

I called yesterday because I just needed some advice from the "professional".  🙂  This is what our discussion boils down to.  We are 3 families to sail in October on the Sensation with a total of five kiddos.  She said out of the 5 she would say 2 will get exemptions. Our final payment is also coming up. So our options are, move to another date next year or wait until we get the official letter about the vaccinations and cancel for a refund.  We already have a cruise booked for next December and she said the funds could also be moved to that cruise.  So, we will move the money to Dec 2022 cruise.  Very disappointed but understand the whys and why nots from a business point of view completely.

Also did not want to put the kids through getting swabbed 3 times just to get to go on vacation with an added expense of that pleasant experience of $300 for each child.  Looks like fall break will be spent at the beach.  😊

On 7/13/2021 at 8:47 PM, KyloRen said:

You may want to give Carnival a call, the guidelines posted online state that the final dose must have been received 14 days prior to the sail date.

3 hours ago, cruisinmems said:

Also did not want to put the kids through getting swabbed 3 times just to get to go on vacation with an added expense of that pleasant experience of $300 for each child.  Looks like fall break will be spent at the beach.  😊

Is it $300 per child (ie $150 per test)? I interpreted it as the $150 would cover all.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 7:24 PM, NewKansasKruiser said:

Curious as to how many have applied for exemptions for unvaccinated kids?  How many were approved and how many have been denied?  

We have one coming up in October and wondering what our odds are.  

I'll let you know when we get our answer.  23 days to go until our Mardi Gras August 7th sail date.... still waiting.

2 adults / 3 kids - One of which (10 year old) needs an exemption.

• Thanks 1