Belize excursion ideas

bobbismith

It's been a few years now, but the Lamanai ruins excursion was a favorite for myself and my family.  Yes, it's a long day and the bus ride was quite long but the host was entertaining and I always enjoy the scenery out the windows during these trips.  I'm not sure about now, but we were able to climb to the top of one of the temples to take photos.  Not everyone did and it was a steep trip down but an amazing experience I'll never forget. It is on the expensive side but for me, it was worth it.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, bobbismith said:

Good Morning, 

I would love to hear your favorite past experiences in Belize! TIA

Bobbi

Bobbi, if you haven't done so already check out the Belize Port of Call forum.  Lots of good information on places to see and things to do.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/65-belize/

• Like 1

Although it was a number of years ago, we used Shoretrips.com for our tubing excursion.  Our group had less people than the group that booked with the cruiseline.  We enjoyed it immensely and, at the time, cost much less than what the cruiseline was offering.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been cave tubing three times through this company:  https://cavetubing.bz/cruise

They have a $50 special that includes transport, guide, equipment, and lunch after tubing.   We have always had a great time.  I will say if anyone in your party is mobility limited, it is a little bit of a walk from the entrance of the cave tubing park to the river entry.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 2:34 PM, o-state girl said:

I've been cave tubing three times through this company:  https://cavetubing.bz/cruise

They have a $50 special that includes transport, guide, equipment, and lunch after tubing.   We have always had a great time.  I will say if anyone in your party is mobility limited, it is a little bit of a walk from the entrance of the cave tubing park to the river entry.  

We have previously booked thru cavetubing.bz and had a great experience !!  As mentioned there is a good bit of walking required from the entrance to the river entry.  The walk is a bit rocky so if the soles of your shoes are thin (i.e.  water shoes)  👟  your walk might be uncomfortable.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back tubing with Cave Tubing R Us for the second time.  Such a good trip.  They have other excursions as well and mentioned that he was adding a new one sometime early next year.

There were 3 of us in our group and nobody else joined, so we got a "private tour" - and made sure to laugh at the bus full of people who bought the excursion from the cruise line.

Water was a bit nippy, but even my wife got used to it quickly.  I'd say it was probably 78-80F when we went on Nov 24.

If you go tubing with Cave Tubing R Us, be sure to get the lunch.  It was $50 for tubing and $10 for a traditional Belizean lunch of stewed chicken, red beans/rice and potato salad.  Mixed well with the Beliken Stout we stopped for on the way (they had a cooler ready for me!!!)  Best meal I had on the trip.

• 2 months later...

Well, a year late, but here goes.  We have been to Belize twice.  The first time we went out to Goff's Caye, and snorkeled with a zillion other people along a reef that showed us nothing.  When we got back to the island, DH and I had a fantastic lunch sold by a guy who came out on the island to sell food.  Grilled Lobster tail and beans, which he heated on his grill with a small hole in the top of the can.  Best meal ever.  Was it because we were hungry?  Or that Goff' caye is beautiful? Or that the meal was so unique?  Who knows, but it was glorious.  We boarded a boat from the ship, and never really saw Belize.

Since that trip, Belize closed Goffs cay for several years to get the reef up to a decent place to snorkel. And I see that it is open again.  It's a beautiful place, if you have ever read the Earthsea trilogy, you will feel that you are in Ged's world.  Distant, remote, beautiful water.  However if you don't go, when the ship departs Belize, go out to the front of the ship and see how you slipped through small islands early in the morning, and this the last island before the end of the world.

On the second time we went, we were cruising on the cheap, and we walked through town (it's a bit rough to say the least) and our goal was to get to the Museum.  We really enjoyed this museum, lots of artifacts, and two air conditioned rooms.  One for dead butterflies and bugs, and the other room was for stamps.  Not the end of the tale at all.  I told the wonderful rep at the museum, that they should let some of their exhibits travel, and she said they had no idea what museum in the states would want to have their exhibit.  I told her Emory University.  When we got back to Atlanta, we contacted the Carlos museum at Emory, and so did the museum rep.  They worked it out, and the Belize exhibit was an on loan exhibit in the Atlanta area.  

Traveling turns strangers into friends.  Cruise happy!

• Like 2