Door decorations

I purchased thin cardboard flower cutouts that were about 12 inches tall from the dollar tree, think of Birthday Party Decorations. I packed them in the front of the suitcase to keep flat. Then took a few layers off of the blue painters type tape (re-rolled it around my finger so it was small) and put that in a snack plastic baggie. Then I would loop the painters tape to put the paper flowers to the door (I was never sure when doors were magnetic and when they were not, so this solved it). I mainly did it so it was easier for us (and my young son at the time) to recognize our cabin. 

4 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

I purchased thin cardboard flower cutouts that were about 12 inches tall from the dollar tree, think of Birthday Party Decorations. I packed them in the front of the suitcase to keep flat. Then took a few layers off of the blue painters type tape (re-rolled it around my finger so it was small) and put that in a snack plastic baggie. Then I would loop the painters tape to put the paper flowers to the door (I was never sure when doors were magnetic and when they were not, so this solved it). I mainly did it so it was easier for us (and my young son at the time) to recognize our cabin. 

That's ok as long as the materials are fire resistant per Carnival. They updated and cracked down on what  materials are allowed on cabin doors.

• Like 1

I get the wall stickers from Dollar Tree.  They have several different patterns, and easily peel back off of the door without leaving residue.  I have even saved the waxed paper that they came on and restuck the sticker on it to use on another cruise.  322032.jpg328050.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, o-state girl said:

I get the wall stickers from Dollar Tree.  They have several different patterns, and easily peel back off of the door without leaving residue.  I have even saved the waxed paper that they came on and restuck the sticker on it to use on another cruise.  322032.jpg328050.jpg

Thanks so much for the idea! Will be visiting my local Dollar Tree soon!!

Never understood why people do this...  

For people who decorate their doors;   Do you do this when you go to a hotel?   Really, a cruise ship is a floating hotel so why don't you do this in hotels?   Interested in the answers of why you don't do it at a hotel, not why you do it on cruise ships.  

TIA

1 hour ago, CrankyOldGuy said:

For people who decorate their doors;   Do you do this when you go to a hotel?   Really, a cruise ship is a floating hotel so why don't you do this in hotels?   Interested in the answers of why you don't do it at a hotel, not why you do it on cruise ships.  

TIA

I have never decorated a door, ever.  On 40 + cruises.  But Guess What... the one in a few weeks gets everything.  I am going to stop for every photographer, I am going to decorate my cabin door.  I am going to do the congo line for the first time, I am going to appreciate this thing to the limit!  Covid taught me never to take anything for granted.  I am like a bird let out of a cage.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Why decorate a cabin door? I can only answer for myself and our family, but we have done it for two reasons. #1- When our son was young it was easy to get turned around on the ship so he knew what floor we were on (the simple number) and if we had the door decorations up he knew which one was ours. Grant you, he wasn't one of those kids that wandered off but when we were all coming back from dinner he LOVED to "walk faster" to find our door. It was kind of a fun game! 

#2- We also frequently travel with family and friends, it was alot easier for them to find us by the "door decoration" then making SURE they memorized our cabin number prior to knockings on the wrong door and scaring the be-gezzus out of a stranger! 

Do we do this at hotels? No, we do not....but to me part of the planning and packing for a cruise has included the door decorations. Just a "thing" I did when I was younger and wanted to continue with our son!

• Like 6

On 7/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, CrankyOldGuy said:

TIA

I've never stayed in a hotel that had thousands of guests at the same time with hundred foot long hallways of doors that looked identical.

• Like 6

On 7/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, CrankyOldGuy said:

TIA

Leaving on the Horizon on Sunday and this will be our first cruise to decorate the door, although I've always thought it was a fun idea.   I think the difference is -- for me -- when we are at a hotel, the vacation isn't about celebrating the fact that I'm at the Marriott or the Hilton or where ever -- it's about the activities in the local area that we are visiting.   But the cruise ship is different -- we're celebrating being on the ship -- the ship IS the vacation along with the ports -- so at least that's how I'm looking at it.   It's fun; it's festive; it's a celebration -- and hotels just aren't the same.    And I've ordered our personalized sign and it will be going with us on all future cruises, along with whatever other this-and-thats I find to put on the door.   🙂

• Like 5

I love decorating our door!! Always do. I make different signs for each cruise, I have different cut-outs and whatnot, I have banners special-made. It's just fun and festive and makes it a whole lot easier to spot your cabin door out of the 1,947,216 other identical doors down those looooong hallways, lol. Plus, it's very much a Disney thing to decorate not the door but your whole big picture window of your room, so it's a happy habit for me. 🙂

But do keep in mind that Carnival has laid out very strict rules for decorating -- definitely NO tape of any kind, only Command hooks or magnets. They have it all laid out here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3256/~/decorating-your-stateroom-door-and-stateroom

Happy decorating! 😊

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, basketballdad said:

I have never decorated a door, ever.  On 40 + cruises.  But Guess What... the one in a few weeks gets everything.  I am going to stop for every photographer, I am going to decorate my cabin door.  I am going to do the congo line for the first time, I am going to appreciate this thing to the limit!  Covid taught me never to take anything for granted.  I am like a bird let out of a cage.

That’s the spirit! I love it!! Have Fun, bbdad 

• Like 3

On 7/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, CrankyOldGuy said:

TIA

Doesn't everybody decorate their door at hotels.  I always do.  This is how I decorated my door at the Hyatt the last time I stayed there:

image.png.6f4b6c7cbe9e27bd10c79654a9eff988.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Doesn't everybody decorate their door at hotels.  I always do.  This is how I decorated my door at the Hyatt the last time I stayed there:

image.png.6f4b6c7cbe9e27bd10c79654a9eff988.png

You have wayyyy to much free time on your hands!:classic_laugh:

Just kidding!

On 7/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, CrankyOldGuy said:

TIA

You know, I for one do not participate in door decorating.  However, its harmless fun.  Some folks are so into cruising that this makes them happy.  Especially after being home for 16 months cooped up. 
don't be so closed minded.  Life is too short. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 8:08 PM, hurricane0226 said:

Just wondering, what do people use to hang decorations on the doors of their cabins, IE:  wood decorations, signs, etc.?

I usually use cello tape. Fold a piece over sticky side out and attach it to the back of the sign and then to the door. It comes off again easily and leaves not stain or damage. I usually hang a paper poster.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, IMKTDQT810 said:

Did they give you a hard time about not being fire retardant?  I want to decorate my upcoming door for the holidays but struggling w fire retardant.  Thanks in advance.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, crazy4themouse said:

I love decorating our door!! Always do. I make different signs for each cruise, I have different cut-outs and whatnot, I have banners special-made. It's just fun and festive and makes it a whole lot easier to spot your cabin door out of the 1,947,216 other identical doors down those looooong hallways, lol. Plus, it's very much a Disney thing to decorate not the door but your whole big picture window of your room, so it's a happy habit for me. 🙂

But do keep in mind that Carnival has laid out very strict rules for decorating -- definitely NO tape of any kind, only Command hooks or magnets. They have it all laid out here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3256/~/decorating-your-stateroom-door-and-stateroom

Happy decorating! 😊

Is Carnival strict about their only fire retardant decor?  Thanks