No vaccine mixing allowed in US… I hope this changes very very quickly 😱

MR_T

On 8/26/2021 at 12:04 PM, Mark_T said:

Perhaps I'm not reading it right, but my understanding was the Celebrity are happy with anything approved by FDA or WHO.

Getting into each country is subject to the rules of that country.

So if you can get to the check-in location you are subject to the Celebrity rules at that point, so FDA/WHO both apply wherever you are.

Getting to the ship just requires meeting whatever rules apply to get you into the country...

Similarly getting off the ship at any port is subject to their local rules.

You seem to believe that it is Celebrity's choice alone as to what vaccine is acceptable.  However, the restrictions on sailing out of US ports are controlled by the CDC's regulations.  Celebrity is authorized to sail with a minimum of 95% of passengers fully vaccinated in accordance with CDC's regulations which are based on the FDA's authorizations. The remaining <= 5% consists of unvaccinated and those vaccinated with vaccines that do not meet the CDC's requirements for cruising out of US ports (which may well be different than the requirements for entering the US.)

WHO has nothing to do with the CDC's regulations for cruising out of US ports.

On the other hand, the requirements imposed for Celebrity's sailings out of ports in other countries may well be based on WHO guidelines.

Whether Celebrity is "happy" or sad is not the point.  It is the requirements imposed by the countries they sail out of. 

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

19 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

You seem to believe that it is Celebrity's choice alone as to what vaccine is acceptable.  However, the restrictions on sailing out of US ports are controlled by the CDC's regulations.  Celebrity is authorized to sail with a minimum of 95% of passengers fully vaccinated in accordance with CDC's regulations. The remaining <= 5% consists of unvaccinated and vaccinated with other than CDC's approved vaccines.

WHO has nothing to do with the CDC's regulations.

Not at all, I've carefully read the CDC definition of 'fully vaccinated' and this is what you find there...

"For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson [J&J]/Janssen)†. There is currently no post-vaccination time limit on fully vaccinated status. People are considered not fully vaccinated if they have not completed a two-dose vaccination series or have not received a single-dose vaccine, regardless of age, including children under the age of 12."

So you then read the foot note as per the † and you will see this...

'†This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines. This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford).'

... and that is where the WHO comes in...

5 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Not at all, I've carefully read the CDC definition of 'fully vaccinated' and this is what you find there...

"For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson [J&J]/Janssen)†. There is currently no post-vaccination time limit on fully vaccinated status. People are considered not fully vaccinated if they have not completed a two-dose vaccination series or have not received a single-dose vaccine, regardless of age, including children under the age of 12."

So you then read the foot note as per the † and you will see this...

'†This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines. This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford).'

... and that is where the WHO comes in...

Sorry - just saw that footnote also

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 11:38 AM, Tomchick1970 said:

Does anyone know if there is a certain # of days that you must have between Dose 2 and Dose 3 for it to qualify as fully vaccinated.

I had the following shots:

AZ - April 17

PZ - June 28

Plan to get 3rd dose of PZ end of Sept (Sept 26-30) when I'm visiting Florida next month.

How easy will it be to go to a US pharmacy as a Canadian and get my 3rd dose?  If anyone has done this yet, please share your experience?  Did you have to pay?

The following is a portion of the info contained in this link:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/joint-statement-hhs-public-health-and-medical-experts-covid-19-booster-shots

“We have developed a plan to begin offering these booster shots this fall subject to FDA conducting an independent evaluation and determination of the safety and effectiveness of a third dose of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) issuing booster dose recommendations based on a thorough review of the evidence. We are prepared to offer booster shots for all Americans beginning the week of September 20 and starting 8 months after an individual’s second dose. At that time, the individuals who were fully vaccinated earliest in the vaccination rollout, including many health care providers, nursing home residents, and other seniors, will likely be eligible for a booster. We would also begin efforts to deliver booster shots directly to residents of long-term care facilities at that time, given the distribution of vaccines to this population early in the vaccine rollout and the continued increased risk that COVID-19 poses to them.

“We also anticipate booster shots will likely be needed for people who received the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) vaccine. Administration of the J&J vaccine did not begin in the U.S. until March 2021, and we expect more data on J&J in the next few weeks. With those data in hand, we will keep the public informed with a timely plan for J&J booster shots as well.

The guideline is 8 months after the 2nd dose - which would not be until late Feb 2022 for you.  So doubt you would be able to get the booster in September 2021.  However, the info is dated August 18th, so could be some changes since then.

53 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/joint-statement-hhs-public-health-and-medical-experts-covid-19-booster-shots

“We have developed a plan to begin offering these booster shots this fall subject to FDA conducting an independent evaluation and determination of the safety and effectiveness of a third dose of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) issuing booster dose recommendations based on a thorough review of the evidence. We are prepared to offer booster shots for all Americans beginning the week of September 20 and starting 8 months after an individual’s second dose. At that time, the individuals who were fully vaccinated earliest in the vaccination rollout, including many health care providers, nursing home residents, and other seniors, will likely be eligible for a booster. We would also begin efforts to deliver booster shots directly to residents of long-term care facilities at that time, given the distribution of vaccines to this population early in the vaccine rollout and the continued increased risk that COVID-19 poses to them.

“We also anticipate booster shots will likely be needed for people who received the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) vaccine. Administration of the J&J vaccine did not begin in the U.S. until March 2021, and we expect more data on J&J in the next few weeks. With those data in hand, we will keep the public informed with a timely plan for J&J booster shots as well.

The guideline is 8 months after the 2nd dose - which would not be until late Feb 2022 for you.  So doubt you would be able to get the booster in September 2021.  However, the info is dated August 18th, so could be some changes since then.

There are discussions about moving from 8 months to 5 or 6 months.  While the decision has not yet been made, it is enough of a consideration that it was mentioned in a White House press conference.  This is largely based upon what the Israeli's have seen with Delta and there booster program.

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

I don't think it would be considered a booster as AZ is not recognized by the FDA so therefore the Pfizer would be the first dose recognized by the FDA and the start of a 2 dose series 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

There are discussions about moving from 8 months to 5 or 6 months.  While the decision has not yet been made, it is enough of a consideration that it was mentioned in a White House press conference.  This is largely based upon what the Israeli's have seen with Delta and there booster program.

Based on what we have been told, it is very likely that the timeline may be moved up or changed to “wait at least X months” then booster eligible. Also, where I am, the commercial providers - Walmart, Walgreens, etc - may or may not ask whether you are immune compromised before they give you a booster. My husband made an appt for his booster, and was screened for eligibility online when booking the appointment. A friend, who is clearly immune compromised and eligible, just showed up, and got her shot from CVS, no questions asked.

Because of all the drama for our Canadian and UK friends, I’m wailing to get my vaccine through my work where I got the first 2. I know several physicians who have already gotten boosters outside the hospital.

48 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Because of all the drama for our Canadian and UK friends, I’m wailing to get my vaccine through my work where I got the first 2. I know several physicians who have already gotten boosters outside the hospital.

Shouldn't really be any drama for the UK people, they just need to be able to travel to the USA.

The vaccine protocols in the UK already meet the CDC requirements for 'fully vaccinated' as we have not permitted mixed vaccines and only used vaccines approved by the CDC or WHO, or both.

• Like 1