No vaccine mixing allowed in US… I hope this changes very very quickly 😱

MR_T

24 minutes ago, MR_T said:

Do you ask about cruise travel? I just spoke to manulife and they confirmed pretty much the same regarding travel in general but when I mentioned I was going on a cruise they quickly said they wouldn’t cover anything that happened on a cruise only pre & post boarding. 

Strange Mr. T...

Because Manulife Insurance is what Celebrity is selling Canadian Travelers.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-insurance

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CanuckCFAN said:

Strange Mr. T...

Because Manulife Insurance is what Celebrity is selling Canadian Travelers.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-insurance

Strange indeed,

yes that’s what I called them… maybe it’s because we are in Quebec but who know… 

4 minutes ago, MR_T said:

Strange indeed,

yes that’s what I called them… maybe it’s because we are in Quebec but who know… 

When I check the manulife "terms and conditions" for exclusions -this is what it says - 

Important information about cruise travel: If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary.

https://www.manulife.ca/personal/insurance/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians.html

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MR_T said:

Do you ask about cruise travel? I just spoke to manulife and they confirmed pretty much the same regarding travel in general but when I mentioned I was going on a cruise they quickly said they wouldn’t cover anything that happened on a cruise only pre & post boarding. 

There seems to be an issue with Manulife, where their published policy says one thing and yet employees say something to the contrary. Rather than repeat myself, here is a post that I made earlier in the day on another board in response to someone else who spoke on the phone to Manulife:

I'd add that @AlbertaCruisers has made several posts regarding this topic after being told by a Manulife representative that, as the written policy states, they do cover medical expenses related to COVID-19 for vaccinated cruise passengers, travel advisories notwithstanding. Here's one of @AlbertaCruisers related posts:

Both Manulife and Medoc will cover medical expenses but not  trip cancellation, interruption or delay related to COVID-19. Possibly those who have been told that there's no coverage have been asking for all-inclusive coverage rather than the more limited medical coverage.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There seems to be an issue with Manulife, where their published policy says one thing and yet employees say something to the contrary. Rather than repeat myself, here is a post that I made earlier in the day on another board in response to someone else who spoke on the phone to Manulife:

I'd add that @AlbertaCruisers has made several posts regarding this topic after being told by a Manulife representative that, as the written policy states, they do cover medical expenses related to COVID-19 for vaccinated cruise passengers, travel advisories notwithstanding. Here's one of @AlbertaCruisers related posts:

Both Manulife and Medoc will cover medical expenses but not  trip cancellation, interruption or delay related to COVID-19. Possibly those who have been told that there's no coverage have been asking for all-inclusive coverage rather than the more limited medical coverage.  

We are with Manulife...corporate retired....spoke with them recently and confirmed we're fully covered..... if we're fully vaccinated seems to be the criteria.  Also, from the RC board, M Bayley has commented on the 42 days and vaccine requirements, copied below.

image.thumb.png.00bda53f6637e6976796c5a0484c5d56.png

Further from the RC Board and a poster's letter to Mr Bayley...

"Letter I just recieved (sic)

Thank you for contacting the executive office of Royal Caribbean International. Mr. Bayley received your email and I am pleased to respond on his behalf.

In response to your inquiry regarding the protocols for your cruise on the Allure of the Seas sailing on August 22, 2021. As long as both vaccines are from the same manufacturer, then the doses can be more than 42 days apart. You will be considered vaccinated.

Mr. xxxxxx, thank you again for having contacted the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Laura *****
Executive Office
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd."

Edited by Oceangoer2
Addition to original
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

MEDOC travel insurance is available to residents of all provinces. I'm not aware of any major Canadian insurance company that is limited to just one province. 

You are right of course.

I just noticed that Ontario Federal Employees were part of a group plan.

I have been using an annual policy with GMS for medical coverage only,  and see that they still do that.  Don't need to get it yet until before my Dec2021 cruise if it sails.

More economical than BCAA or Medoc or Pacific Blue Cross.

• Like 1

I’ve just spoke to manulife and had email communication, when I spoke to the lady initially I specifically asked for a quote for a cruise vacation flying from Montreal to Barcelona and joining the cruise there, and then getting off in Florida before flying back to Montreal, I asked for a medical policy only (not including COVID or cancellation) and she said manulife dosent cover cruise trips at all at this time. 

She confirmed this in her email reply and advised anybody that is told differently should contact manulife to discuss. 

Now I’m not saying this is right or wrought I’m just posting because like the celebrity customer service you can ask the same question 5 times to different people and get 5 different responses… 

i do find it a little strange that whatever company I look for a quote on there’s very little actual info relating to cruise travel. 

2 hours ago, MR_T said:

I’ve just spoke to manulife and had email communication, when I spoke to the lady initially I specifically asked for a quote for a cruise vacation flying from Montreal to Barcelona and joining the cruise there, and then getting off in Florida before flying back to Montreal, I asked for a medical policy only (not including COVID or cancellation) and she said manulife dosent cover cruise trips at all at this time. 

She confirmed this in her email reply and advised anybody that is told differently should contact manulife to discuss. 

Now I’m not saying this is right or wrought I’m just posting because like the celebrity customer service you can ask the same question 5 times to different people and get 5 different responses… 

i do find it a little strange that whatever company I look for a quote on there’s very little actual info relating to cruise travel. 

Shaking my head. Seems to be about 50-50, half of the posters told yes, the other half no. As a retired Manulife employee, I find @Oceangoer2's comment above to be the most compelling:

We are with Manulife...corporate retired....spoke with them recently and confirmed we're fully covered..... if we're fully vaccinated seems to be the criteria.

Good luck!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I asked specifically for medical coverage only as for this cruise we are covered by celebrity and don’t need cancellation either, she told me we would still get COVID cover as we are fully vaccinated but due to the current Canada no cruise advisory they are not offering cruise cover at this time as long as the no cruise is active. 

I've reached out to someone else so we will see what I get from them 🤞🏻

• Like 1

No covid / cruise insurance for Canadians til the govt lifts all travel rescrictions ...So maybe Sept when Canada opens their air travel borders.They will revisit coverage.Hope so along with the vaccine fiasco 

On 7/18/2021 at 10:55 AM, pixiedust777 said:

All the vaccines being used in Canada are approved by the WHO.

Even the WHO mentioned that in emergency circumstances the vaccines could be mixed.

It is interesting that technically AZ is being accepted and is not approved by the FDA and the U.S was more than willing to send us millions of doses to help us get our vaccine program up and running at a heightened pace.

I think that you are one of those people that just like to stir the pot but you would be ranting at the top of your lungs if you were the one caught in this dilemma.

I am out of here as I have a vacation to pack for.

Exactly,  apt as per the user name 

“I pee in the pool”. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maryann2 said:

You are right of course.

I just noticed that Ontario Federal Employees were part of a group plan.

I have been using an annual policy with GMS for medical coverage only,  and see that they still do that.  Don't need to get it yet until before my Dec2021 cruise if it sails.

More economical than BCAA or Medoc or Pacific Blue Cross.

This is from the GMS website… wouldn’t this mean I’m not able to get cover currently do to the avoid all travel & avoid all cruise ships advisory currently in place? 

we depart from Barcelona and that also has a no travel advisory! 

2 hours ago, MR_T said:

This is from the GMS website… wouldn’t this mean I’m not able to get cover currently do to the avoid all travel & avoid all cruise ships advisory currently in place? 

The website says that it will provide medical coverage in all countries that have an "avoid travel advisory" due to covid.

Perhaps you could phone them to ask about cruises.

https://www.gms.ca/covid-19-updates

6 hours ago, MR_T said:

I forgot the attachment 😂

661C356F-AD63-4DD7-B581-EA6EF7FAC47A.jpeg

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Shaking my head. Seems to be about 50-50, half of the posters told yes, the other half no. As a retired Manulife employee, I find @Oceangoer2's comment above to be the most compelling:

We are with Manulife...corporate retired....spoke with them recently and confirmed we're fully covered..... if we're fully vaccinated seems to be the criteria.

Good luck!

Since you are a retired Manulife employee...I cede to your opinion.  Our company provider is Man.  Since there are differing slants to their coverage reported here, I'm now thinking it depends on the plan provided by the employer as to the 'travel/cruise' coverage we all receive.  And could whichever province you live in make a difference?  I see that X suggests insuring through Manulife for a cruise policy....why would they do that if the user can't use it...LOL..or would that only apply to US travellers as we have a US non-travel advisory.  I should call M again and if the answer is the same, get the name of the agent and a personal email to back it up.

On the X Healthy at Sea page there used to be an FAQ re vaccines, testing etc.

It doesn't seem to be there anymore.  The main page for Healthy at Sea mentions vaccines at a high level and then the protocols by home port says the following for US cruises.  I can no longer see any of the detailed info re what is allowed re different vaccines.  Is there perhaps a change coming or am I in denial and am refusing to see it lol.

image.png.671f160b6819ab68cfdd3c8655fb5842.png

16 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

On the X Healthy at Sea page there used to be an FAQ re vaccines, testing etc.

It doesn't seem to be there anymore.  The main page for Healthy at Sea mentions vaccines at a high level and then the protocols by home port says the following for US cruises.  I can no longer see any of the detailed info re what is allowed re different vaccines.  Is there perhaps a change coming or am I in denial and am refusing to see it lol.

image.png.671f160b6819ab68cfdd3c8655fb5842.png

I don't see the FAQ, but under the Heathy at Sea Heading there is a link to this PDF.

celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

5 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

Yes I saw that too but it doesn't mention no mixing of vaccines. 

Yes, sorry I was focusing on Apex out of Greece since I'm sure the US will not change there policy anytime soon.

Celebrity Apex

"Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted."

I can still see the FAQ:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

And they still says this:

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens, or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos, can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted.   

• Like 1

Thanks @AlbertaCruisers looks like its still there but no longer a link to it from the Healthy at Sea page.  I had hope for a few minutes lol.  Our next cruise isn't until April 2022 out of FLL so hoping this will be sorted out by then.

We've decided to stay within Canada for 2021....just booked a week in Banff and now hearing that Alberta will be eliminating a lot of the restrictions and quarantine rules.  Sounds risky...I am hoping they backdown on this.  As an Albertan what are your thoughts?

6 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

Thanks @AlbertaCruisers looks like its still there but no longer a link to it from the Healthy at Sea page.  I had hope for a few minutes lol.  Our next cruise isn't until April 2022 out of FLL so hoping this will be sorted out by then.

We've decided to stay within Canada for 2021....just booked a week in Banff and now hearing that Alberta will be eliminating a lot of the restrictions and quarantine rules.  Sounds risky...I am hoping they backdown on this.  As an Albertan what are your thoughts?

I'm not really sure yet, I'm lucky enough to be fully vaccinated and plan to  be smart, maybe still wear a mask at times (indoors), but I'm hopeful that even if I'm exposed that I won't get really sick (I do believe in the vaccines, but I also know that some people are getting sick even with the vaccine).  I hope people keep getting vaccinated and this doesn't become a huge issue.  I do feel sorry for the people with kids too young to be vaccinated, that want to get them vaccinated and can't.

We do have the Equinox booked for August 27 and plan to go, so we will see how that goes!  I have 2 Pfizer vaccines so this issue doesn't affect me, but I have a friend that wanted to cruise with us in October that is mixed, AZ and Pfizer, so I have been watching this issue.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:48 AM, bebe08 said:

Still there for me.

image.png.4fd46caf0ad99a6b13881fe5d44cf69b.png