No vaccine mixing allowed in US… I hope this changes very very quickly 😱

MR_T

7 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

The better result would if all countries would recognize mixing of vaccine ,

to many people need to vaccine  before the people get their third dose 

because another variant could be developed that these vaccines cannot stop

The CDC has already indicated that people who have a mixture of AZ and Pfizer or Moderna can be given a third dose of either Pfizer or Moderna and then those people will be considered fully vaccinated.  I glad that some parts of Canada seem to be recognizing the problem for international travel and are working to solve the problem.

30 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The CDC has already indicated that people who have a mixture of AZ and Pfizer or Moderna can be given a third dose of either Pfizer or Moderna and then those people will be considered fully vaccinated.  I glad that some parts of Canada seem to be recognizing the problem for international travel and are working to solve the problem.

This just a waste of money  at this time to give out a 3rd dose to just get on ship, talk about first world problems 🙄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

This just a waste of money  at this time to give out a 3rd dose to just get on ship, talk about first world problems 🙄

Mostly agree with all posts, but this one...?  Not a waste of money for any reason....best to ensure dosage to protect oneself....and could be more effective against any variant.  A booster will happen anyway ...... I and my family intend to receive it when it's timely.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

The better result would if all countries would recognize mixing of vaccine ,

to many people need to vaccine  before the people get their third dose 

because another variant could be developed that these vaccines cannot stop

I completley agree about the better result would be for the mixed to be recognised as I mentioned

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

As I said this was my personal choice, the options open to me at the current time was to... 

1 - get the 3rd shot 

2 - cancel my cruise for a fcc I wouldn’t be able to use should the problem not get sorted.. 

obviously I do think it will get sorted but at the current time that’s not the case

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

I’m sorry. Is there anything on this entire board that isn’t a first world problem?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well here's a new wrinkle.  😞 According to a poster on the Princess board, Royal Caribbean has modified it's policy on vaccination. Now, if you have received either of the mRNA vaccines, if the second dose wasn't received within 6 weeks of the first, they will consider you unvaccinated. How many Canadians managed to get their second shot that soon? Not many I'll bet. I'm going to be watching closely to see if Celebrity adopts the same policy.

1 hour ago, letscruzmarch said:

MR_T how did you register for the 3rd shot. I do not see that option on clicsante 

My husband mixed so he will need a 3rd shot also

The Quebec site said to book through the COVID troubleshooting option, now I did do this but for some reason it wouldn’t let me book my wife’s appointment so I cancelled mine and just went to a walk-in clinic. 

i actually just checked and it now says people looking for the 3rd shot should go to a walk in clinic and they’ve removed the appointment option? 🤷🏼‍♂️

for whatever reason it looks like everyone now has to go to a walk in clinic. 

good luck 👍🏻

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Well here's a new wrinkle.  😞 According to a poster on the Princess board, Royal Caribbean has modified it's policy on vaccination. Now, if you have received either of the mRNA vaccines, if the second dose wasn't received within 6 weeks of the first, they will consider you unvaccinated. How many Canadians managed to get their second shot that soon? Not many I'll bet. I'm going to be watching closely to see if Celebrity adopts the same policy.

I think that cancels out just about every Canadian.

An aside...a friend contacted Blue Cross and they said they would not insure cruisers.

Has anyone had difficulty getting travel health insurance?

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Crazy  world these days.  An individual company including cruise lines should not be determining what qualifies as fully vaccinated.  The WHO, CDC, or individual country’s health department should be making these determinations within their respective country.  IMO they need to step up and be clear about what is considered fully vaccinated.  They should be held accountable. Bureaucratic B.S.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 7:34 PM, markeb said:

They did. All the authorized (still waiting for one to be licensed) vaccines are authorized based on the same vaccine being used for both doses (if required). That's how the data was collected. IF, for instance, Health Canada were to authorize a protocol using Moderna followed by Pfizer (or vice versa), then I would assume the cruise lines would accept that based on their previous policy, but that isn't where we're at.

There's a lot of technical discussion beyond that, and in keeping with current CC guidance, I'll stay away from that. This was kind of predictable...

The CDC does states that any two mRNA vaccines, such as one Pfizer and one Moderna, are acceptable and not considered mixed as they are the same type. It’s mixing an mRNA vaccine with a vector vaccine, such as Pfizer and Astra Zeneca, that sounds they don’t approve of. Unfortunately, some cruise lines read half the memo but not the whole thing. 
This is one of those issues that will be sorted out in time, but it’s rough for those with cruises booked during start up.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

An aside...a friend contacted Blue Cross and they said they would not insure cruisers.

There is still a travel advisory against cruises. So no travel insurance available.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maryann2 said:

There is still a travel advisory against cruises. So no travel insurance available.

I contacted my insurance (company provider) a few months ago and was told I was covered for ANY illness, including covid, while out of or in the country.  I questioned the travel advisory and received the same answer. 

8 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I noticed that on Blue Cross as well. Manulife still includes coverage for cruises as long as you are vaccinated so I guess you have to check individual policies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I contacted my insurance (company provider) a few months ago and was told I was covered for ANY illness, including covid, while out of or in the country.  I questioned the travel advisory and received the same answer. 

You need to be careful though... there is a difference in the illness and connected cost - which might be covered - and in testing positive only.

As long as you are not ill but still have to quarantine, end a cruise, book new transportation etc. etc. most insurances do not cover the cost.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mom says said:

Just called Celebrity on this....they have no policy in that regard....still vaccination 14 days prior.  This is via a Princess poster re Royal C?.....maybe we can hear directly from the RC board cruisers right now?

21 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Just called Celebrity on this....they have no policy in that regard....still vaccination 14 days prior.  This is via a Princess poster re Royal C?.....maybe we can hear directly from the RC board cruisers right now?

Follow up....from data on the RC board, who copied it from the RC policy..... (as of right now) 42 days between 1st and 2nd dose...anyone over that is to be considered not vaccinated.  X not yet but who knows?

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, maryann2 said:

That's not entirely correct. I'm insured with Medoc Travel Insurance through Johnson Insurance and they do provide medical coverage for COVID-related emergencies, even with the travel advisory in effect. However, they won't cover trip cancellation, interruption or delay related to COVID-19, irrespective of travel advisories.  

COVID-19 coverage available for Emergency Medical Insurance benefits

Emergency Medical Insurance benefits continue to provide coverage for eligible emergencies related to COVID-19, even while a Canadian travel advisory related to COVID-19 is in effect.

COVID-19 coverage excluded for Trip Cancellation, Interruption & Delay Insurance benefits

The policy does not provide coverage for any trip cancellation, interruption or delay if it is directly or indirectly related to COVID-19. This exclusion applies regardless of if travel advisories for COVID-19 are in effect.

There are far too many people believing that you can't get insurance when in fact you can. You just need to be specific about what type of coverage you are looking for.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's not entirely correct. I'm insured with Medoc Travel Insurance through Johnson Insurance and they do provide medical coverage for COVID-related emergencies, even with the travel advisory in effect. However, they won't cover trip cancellation, interruption or delay related to COVID-19, irrespective of travel advisories.  

Emergency Medical Insurance benefits continue to provide coverage for eligible emergencies related to COVID-19, even while a Canadian travel advisory related to COVID-19 is in effect.

COVID-19 coverage excluded for Trip Cancellation, Interruption & Delay Insurance benefits

The policy does not provide coverage for any trip cancellation, interruption or delay if it is directly or indirectly related to COVID-19. This exclusion applies regardless of if travel advisories for COVID-19 are in effect.

There are far too many people believing that you can't get insurance when in fact you can. You just need to be specific about what type of coverage you are looking for.

That's good to know. For Ontario.

Not sure if any insurance is available in B.C.

Not that I need it as glad I have no immediate cruises booked.

4 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

That's good to know. For Ontario.

Not sure if any insurance is available in B.C.

Not that I need it as glad I have no immediate cruises booked.

MEDOC travel insurance is available to residents of all provinces. I'm not aware of any major Canadian insurance company that is limited to just one province. 

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I glad that some parts of Canada seem to be recognizing the problem for international travel and are working to solve the problem.

The big problem is like a baby ruth bar floating around in the pool,  Ipee.

People aren't  sure if it is real, fake or safe.   

Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water.

my programmer instincts are telling me that if everybody used the same software to distribute the vaccines worldwide then it would eliminate or mitigate alot of communication issues,  and still retain national or local ownership.

Can you see how this might be a solution that could be alpha and beta'd in North America first (Canada, Mexico and US) and then globally.

Use the same distribution format.   Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

That's great news.  Has anyone found out if Celebrity is going to enforce the 42 days between shots?  I read their advisory and couldn't find anything on it.  I just booked for Sept 11 and that would be a disaster for me with 90 days between shots.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Do you ask about cruise travel? I just spoke to manulife and they confirmed pretty much the same regarding travel in general but when I mentioned I was going on a cruise they quickly said they wouldn’t cover anything that happened on a cruise only pre & post boarding. 

From Ontario government 

A Safe and Effective
Second Dose
To ensure maximum protection against COVID-19 and
the Delta variant, Ontarians should get vaccinated as soon as they can and book their second dose as soon as they are eligible.
The best vaccine for your second dose is the vaccine that is available frst.
All vaccines provided in Ontario provide strong protection against COVID-19 and its variants.
Mixing vaccines is safe, efective, and enables more Ontarians to receive their second dose sooner. Full vaccination is the greatest protection you can have against COVID-19 and its variants, including the Delta variant.
If you had Moderna or Pfzer for your frst dose you can safely take either Moderna or Pfzer for your second dose for strong protection. Both Moderna and Pfzer vaccines are authorized for use in Canada and use a similar mRNA technology, so the vaccines are safe to mix.
• This is consistent with recommendations recently provided by the National Advisory Committee on Immunization and with practices within several provinces.
• Both provide strong protection against COVID-19 and its variants.
• Dose interval is 28 days.
If you had AstraZeneca for your frst dose you can safely take either Moderna, Pfzer or AstraZeneca for your second dose for strong protection.
• Getting a Moderna or Pfzer vaccine after the frst dose of an AstraZeneca vaccine has been shown to provide a strong immune response, including against COVID-19 variants of concern.
• Dose interval is 8-12 weeks, with informed consent.
If your second COVID-19 vaccine is diferent than your frst dose, you do not need to start your series over again. You will be considered fully immunized two weeks after receiving two doses of Health Canada approved COVID-19 Vaccine