No vaccine mixing allowed in US… I hope this changes very very quickly 😱

MR_T

48 minutes ago, richardsavage said:

Things are evolving: 😁

Quebec offers a solution for people who have been refused travel, especially to the United States, because they received two different vaccines. They can now receive an extra dose.

https://www.vaughantoday.ca/unrecognized-mixed-vaccines-travelers-may-receive-a-third-dose/

Not an official statement but it look good...

Hopefully there’s some thruth in this 🤞🏻A little concerned that this is the only real communication regarding this… surely if it was discussed with a government official there would be more coverage 

57 minutes ago, richardsavage said:

Quebec offers a solution for people who have been refused travel, especially to the United States, because they received two different vaccines. They can now receive an extra dose.

https://www.vaughantoday.ca/unrecognized-mixed-vaccines-travelers-may-receive-a-third-dose/

If that is true, that is great news!  That is for quebec.   Seems like Ontario has been following quebec's lead..

Lets hope that the CDC does not create a new rule that if you have 3 doses of a vaccine, it is not approved. They will probably say there is no clinical study showing that 3 doses are effective. 🙂

• Like 1

Hmmm, but wouldn’t it be limited to the allowed timeframe after your second vaccination? Otherwise the second and third would not be recognized as one vaccination. Except for using J&J where the one should would be considered a vaccination by itself.

Edited by Miaminice

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

In my post I never said the US created our problem.    My quibble was statements that  we didn’t order early enough.  And concerns re the moderna plant 

Not sure what you mean about corrupted data.

No of course you did not.   You are a very well respected poster.  Post #207 can be taken either way,  in fact,  I am not sure which way to take it myself.   

Like everybody else,  I was following the Molson and CC advice,  but we had an excess of 805 on hand and that is a first gen pilsner micro brew from Central Cali with a pedigree to boot.  (Firestone)

It's outside the scope of CC right now to drill down into the science and politics which makes it hard to discuss supporting talking points and I am not used to that whether it is in a laboratory or a studio or presentation at Vanderbilt Medical University.  

Sometimes it is easier, funnier and more productive to use cinematic or sporting references to describe things ,  because that gets people on the same page or plane of thought if you are trying to convey an idea.  

I say manage the expectations and learn from the mistakes too because that is what we can do.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1

I live in Quebec and have mixed doses (AZ and Moderna).  I've done a search and only the already provided link to Vaughn Today is reporting this so far.  Guessing it is "breaking news"   I don't see anything about this on Clic Sante or the official Quebec website yet.

Not sure at this point I would be willing to have a 3rd dose in order to take a cruise leaving from a US port.  I did have some unpleasant side effects with second dose and sounds like a 3rd dose could be worse in this regard.

We do have a B2B Apex cruise out of FLL in April 2022.  At this point I am more concerned about the rising COVID rates in Florida. If I had to make the decision now,    I would prefer to move the cruise to somewhere with lower Covid rates and somewhere that does recognize my mixed dose (or even cancel the cruise and do a land vacation). That would be my first choice before going for a 3rd dose.   Thankfully I don't have to decide now and can wait several months before final payment is due and see what happens.

For 2021 we have decided to stay within Canada to travel.  

I do feel for those Canadians who have cruises in 2021 and are now left scrambling.  Good luck and hopefully this gets sorted out sooner than later.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JRG said:

Sometimes it is easier, funnier and more productive to use cinematic or sporting references to describe things ,  because that gets people on the same page or plane of thought if you are trying to convey an idea.  

I also use history alot in my lectures because we should be learning.   For example:

If Gold was found at the summit of WhitePass,   would Canada require us to carry with us 2 tons of supplies to make the trek?

We have to learn from the history side of things too and this is part of trying to manage expectations.

1 hour ago, richardsavage said:

Good to see that Canada is working to find a solution to their problem.

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Celebrity to confirm that they consider Covishield (AstraZeneca from the Indian plant) and AstraZeneca (from the UK) plant as the same vaccine. Not sure about other Canadians, but I show as having had #1 Covishield, #2 AstraZeneca; and dread someone somewhere going "Oh, but that's different" (when it isn't)

2 hours ago, scottbee said:

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Celebrity to confirm that they consider Covishield (AstraZeneca from the Indian plant) and AstraZeneca (from the UK) plant as the same vaccine. Not sure about other Canadians, but I show as having had #1 Covishield, #2 AstraZeneca; and dread someone somewhere going "Oh, but that's different" (when it isn't)

Did they confirm you are ok? 

On 7/24/2021 at 10:04 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Good to see that Canada is working to find a solution to their problem.

It's not a 'Canadian problem'; it's a problem with what other countries/companies consider as valid. Right now Canada, most Caribbean countries, and the EU, all consider AZ + mRNA as fully vaccinated; there's really only one significant holdout within the G7/OECD.

Canada, Germany, South Korea and many others have used mixed vaccination to excellent effect, and those countries have very high uptake, and relatively low case numbers right now.

• Like 9

I can only begin to imagine what a mess this is going to be at the port. Only a small fraction of cruisers read Cruise Critic. For those that don't, how many repeatedly scan the Terms and Conditions on their booking to see if they've changed? Has Celebrity (or any cruise line) contacted passengers to let them know they won't be allowed to cruise? Certainly opening themselves up to many, many lawsuits.

I get that the cruise lines are only following CDC recommendations, but they have a responsibility to inform all affected customers of this change and offer fair compensation (an FCC is no good if you can't use it later either). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XLVIII said:

I can only begin to imagine what a mess this is going to be at the port. Only a small fraction of cruisers read Cruise Critic. For those that don't, how many repeatedly scan the Terms and Conditions on their booking to see if they've changed? Has Celebrity (or any cruise line) contacted passengers to let them know they won't be allowed to cruise? Certainly opening themselves up to many, many lawsuits.

I get that the cruise lines are only following CDC recommendations, but they have a responsibility to inform all affected customers of this change and offer fair compensation (an FCC is no good if you can't use it later either). 

One of the Canadians on the Edge this week, Don from Don's Family Vacations (on youtube) noted on one of his videos last week that he was called last week (just before he left) to make sure that he was vaccinated and that it wasn't mixed vaccines.  Short notice, but it would be better to find out before you got to the port I think.  I'm not sure if they are calling all Canadians to make sure or not.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:18 PM, tert333 said:

If that is true, that is great news!  That is for quebec.   Seems like Ontario has been following quebec's lead..

Lets hope that the CDC does not create a new rule that if you have 3 doses of a vaccine, it is not approved. They will probably say there is no clinical study showing that 3 doses are effective. 🙂

The companies involved are doing clinical studies right now on third doses (boosters).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

If you are doing an wb TA , does the cruise ship use the EU rules or the CDC rules 🙄

Yes this is the question I’d like yo know the answers too, it seems to mention every cruise except these... mine is from bcn - Fll

tryingvto get a definitive answer from celebrity or my agent is like pulling teeth 😱 

• Like 1

Has anyone actually found this on the CDC site? Not being a smart a$$, but I've looked everywhere and can't find this piece of guidance. Like I said long ago, it makes sense they'd put that out for US travelers vaccinated in the US with a US EUA vaccine, as all of that is just a reiteration of the FDA approved EUA (sorry, too many acronyms, but after a year too many cruisers know them!).

One of the earlier posts included a clarification on mixing mRNA vaccines and implied it was the result of national requirements for port stops. Celebrity updated its US departures information today, and I don't see anything on mixed vaccines. St Maarten was also updated today, and I likewise only see the 14 days before sailing requirement.

It's actually possible the CDC was somewhat privately communicating an emerging requirement from one of the Caribbean nations received through diplomatic channels, the WHO, or PAHO (Pan-American Health Organization) that's been withdrawn, rather than their own requirement. Which is one of their responsibilities.

IF the latest information on Celebrity's web page is correct (assumes the gerbils and hamsters in the IT cave are working today), then we've hit much ado about nothing (for now) and the issue has corrected itself! 🤞

Signed//A US American with a lot of respect for his Canadian friends. We can have a long off topic discussion some day about whether Omaha and Gold matter without Juno... On the appropriate European port of call board. A very old Canadian friend commanded the NATO Hospital in Kandahar. And we argued mightily over national positions when we were supposed to, and had mussels in Brussels with Belgian beer and frites in the evenings. Our first international trip when we can is more likely to be a relaxing weekend in Montreal than a cruise. And I need to take my wife to Ottawa for Remembrance Day sometime. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

One of the earlier posts included a clarification on mixing mRNA vaccines and implied it was the result of national requirements for port stops. Celebrity updated its US departures information today, and I don't see anything on mixed vaccines. St Maarten was also updated today, and I likewise only see the 14 days before sailing requirement.

The current Celebrity guidance is:

Will I be considered fully vaccinated if my first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is from one manufacturer and the second dose is from another?

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, or Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. 

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs (4th to last under testing and screening)

1 minute ago, scottbee said:

The current Celebrity guidance is:

Will I be considered fully vaccinated if my first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is from one manufacturer and the second dose is from another?

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, or Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. 

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs (4th to last under testing and screening)

So potentially the gerbils and hamsters can't figure out how to put that on the information updated today!

So which is the most current? That undated statement, or the updated July 26 port specific information? Athens was also updated today, and doesn't say that. Southampton is dated July 7th. And I still can't find it on any US Gov page (which would be the CDC). 

If I were sailing, I'd be going crazy. It's not rocket science to put the same information in all the places people would look. And if they're following guidance received from a US Gov agency, they could post a link! And if it actually is that pick a port has decided it won't allow mixed vaccines, then say so. If it's actually impacting their cruise planning, it's no longer a diplomatic secret!

I still believe that 1) Canada made a very reasonable public health decision on vaccine strategy when they needed to (US CDC gave similar advice in January) and 2) This will work out eventually and Canadians will be fine.

I freely confess to no real basis for the second belief because I can't find where this is coming from and if the rationale is other nations' requirements. But I spent too much of my life in rooms with some really great Canadian military and Health Canada folks who were desperately trying to do the right thing for Canadians in general and Canadian Forces. And we usually found a way to get them through any (sometimes) stupid US requirements so they only had to deal with their own (sometimes) stupid Canadian requirements! And they helped us get access to some unique products only produced in Canada. And I'm not talking 30 years ago!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, markeb said:

Has anyone actually found this on the CDC site? Not being a smart a$$, but I've looked everywhere and can't find this piece of guidance. Like I said long ago, it makes sense they'd put that out for US travelers vaccinated in the US with a US EUA vaccine, as all of that is just a reiteration of the FDA approved EUA (sorry, too many acronyms, but after a year too many cruisers know them!).

It's actually possible the CDC was somewhat privately communicating an emerging requirement from one of the Caribbean nations received through diplomatic channels, the WHO, or PAHO (Pan-American Health Organization) that's been withdrawn, rather than their own requirement. Which is one of their responsibilities.

IF the latest information on Celebrity's web page is correct (assumes the gerbils and hamsters in the IT cave are working today), then we've hit much ado about nothing (for now) and the issue has corrected itself! 🤞

Signed//A US American with a lot of respect for his Canadian friends. We can have a long off topic discussion some day about whether Omaha and Gold matter without Juno... On the appropriate European port of call board. A very old Canadian friend commanded the NATO Hospital in Kandahar. And we argued mightily over national positions when we were supposed to, and had mussels in Brussels with Belgian beer and frites in the evenings. Our first international trip when we can is more likely to be a relaxing weekend in Montreal than a cruise. And I need to take my wife to Ottawa for Remembrance Day sometime. 

I will happily buy you a Belgian beer or otherwise some day!  Thankyou for your cogent remarks! 

• Like 1

So a personal update as I started this thread… 

After a few days discussing it today we decided to go ahead and get the 3rd dose offered in Quebec for people that want to travel. It was a very easy & straight forward procedure and we wasn’t asked any questions or reasons for wanting the extra dose other than for travel reasons. 

we came to this decision because we just felt the benefits out way the negatives (for us anyway) and fingers crossed no rules change that would then consider 3 doses a bad thing 🤞🏻I do hope and fell that the chances of mix dose being accepted in the near future are high but it just might not be quick enough for us… plus I was sick of checking these forums every hour for updates etc… 

Funny enough after getting home I saw an online interview regarding a 3rd COVID dose and the doctor basically says although there’s no real studies of the COVID-19 3rd dose in regards to positives/negatives there’s plenty of studies of other similar made vaccines that show yes there maybe an increase in initial short term side effects the long term benefits are positive regarding efficiency. 

So now we are officially double phizer vaccinated and in 2 weeks will be considered fully vaccinated for our upcoming cruises. 

fingers crossed this opportunity is rolled out across Canada (and obviously other countries affected)  for those that need/want it so we can all take another step nearer a normal life 🤞🏻😊

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, MR_T said:

So a personal update as I started this thread… 

After a few days discussing it today we decided to go ahead and get the 3rd dose offered in Quebec for people that want to travel. It was a very easy & straight forward procedure and we wasn’t asked any questions or reasons for wanting the extra dose other than for travel reasons. 

we came to this decision because we just felt the benefits out way the negatives (for us anyway) and fingers crossed no rules change that would then consider 3 doses a bad thing 🤞🏻I do hope and fell that the chances of mix dose being accepted in the near future are high but it just might not be quick enough for us… plus I was sick of checking these forums every hour for updates etc… 

Funny enough after getting home I saw an online interview regarding a 3rd COVID dose and the doctor basically says although there’s no real studies of the COVID-19 3rd dose in regards to positives/negatives there’s plenty of studies of other similar made vaccines that show yes there maybe an increase in initial short term side effects the long term benefits are positive regarding efficiency. 

So now we are officially double phizer vaccinated and in 2 weeks will be considered fully vaccinated for our upcoming cruises. 

fingers crossed this opportunity is rolled out across Canada (and obviously other countries affected)  for those that need/want it so we can all take another step nearer a normal life 🤞🏻😊

The better result would if all countries would recognize mixing of vaccine ,

to many people need to vaccine  before the people get their third dose 

because another variant could be developed that these vaccines cannot stop

• Like 5