NCL app issues

amyaphiiz

Anyone else having issues? We've done 4 or 5 NCL cruises and utilized the app a lot on the most recent 2 sailings (activity scheduling, dining and show reservations, and communicating with our teens). The app has disappeared from my phone and when I go to the playstore to install it, it says "not compatible with your device." Phone isn't that old and software is up to date (Android). 

Anyone else having issues? Any advice?

I have the NCL app on my Samsung 21 (android) and it is working fine. Has my account and lists the 3 cruise reservations I have booked, I can navigate through to see all the vacation summary details of each cruise, etc. 

2 hours ago, amyaphiiz said:

Anyone else having issues? ... app has disappeared from my phone and when I go to the playstore to install it, it says "not compatible with your device." Phone isn't that old and software is up to date (Android). 

Is your Play Store up-to-date and running API level 27 or higher on Oreo, Pie or higher with the latest OEM Security patches ??  I have a Xiaomi global dual sim, rooted & running ASOP "Q" non-stock rom and the newest "Norwegian" app installed and ran just fine.  No issues with stock "Red Valet Cake" on DW's Samsung Galaxy S21 5G or my Pixel 3aXL and I could sideload onto Fire HD 10 as a bypass ... Ditto on iOS 14.6 supported hardware. 

Check your list of installed apps to see if it is still there or not, and for any error messages, etc. from the Play Store page ... power cycle/restart your Android and try to install it again.  Post the specific basic of your smartphone, if you like. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, mking8288 said:

Is your Play Store up-to-date and running API level 27 or higher on Oreo, Pie or higher with the latest OEM Security patches ??  I have a Xiaomi global dual sim, rooted & running ASOP "Q" non-stock rom and the newest "Norwegian" app installed and ran just fine.  No issues with stock "Red Valet Cake" on DW's Samsung Galaxy S21 5G or my Pixel 3aXL and I could sideload onto Fire HD 10 as a bypass ... Ditto on iOS 14.6 supported hardware. 

Check your list of installed apps to see if it is still there or not, and for any error messages, etc. from the Play Store page ... power cycle/restart your Android and try to install it again.  Post the specific basic of your smartphone, if you like. 

I have google play version 27.1 and I'm running Android 8.0 which is Oreo. What else do I need to update? I have a Galaxy s7.

5 hours ago, amyaphiiz said:

I have google play version 27.1 and I'm running Android 8.0 which is Oreo. What else do I need to update? I have a Galaxy s7.

Well, Galaxy S7 came out in 2016 and discontinued about 2 years ago, now being 5 years later ... while the hardware on the smartphone are still acceptable but updates/software installed are beginning to fall behind, Oreo is the last/final OS update - you are already on the latest API 27.1 - there isn't much you can do to bring it more "current" with that platform.  Unless you had replaced the stock battery, its health is likely fallen a bit & no longer last a full day of light to moderate usage - it still get quarterly updates from Samsung, instead of monthly ones.  I suspect that the NCL App are now geared toward Android 9, 10 and 11's - with 12 coming out around the corner next month, and it's difficult to run some of the apps on Oreo ... these are some of the possible reasons why you have issues with the NCL App. 

I have a spare backup Google Nexus 6P that runs a custom Oreo rom with updated 2021 security patches, and the NCL App is running fine - not a lot of installed Apps on it.  Might I suggest, if you still plan to keep the Galaxy S7 and use it, backup your data & settings to Google cloud first, then do a clean factory reset to flush it clean, and, restart and restore the installed Apps, data & settings from the backup (with your ID & password used on Google) over WiFi - and see whether it will help or not.  It's a weekend project & will take several hours to complete, depending on your broadband speed - sit back & relax, wait & hopefully, you can see improved responses overall.  

Otherwise, it's time to shop for a newer Samsung smartphone or whatever brand of choice that's compatible with your cellular provider/plan - some of the entry/mid-level 5G devices aren't too expenses - it should last, with care & love, you another 3 to 4, maybe 5 years with the upgrade. 

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue. I had it on my phone but no longer there so I tried to download. Now it gives me the unable to download message. My husband and I have identical phones. It is on his phone and works fine. How bizarre.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 11:29 PM, mking8288 said:

Well, Galaxy S7 came out in 2016 and discontinued about 2 years ago, now being 5 years later ... while the hardware on the smartphone are still acceptable but updates/software installed are beginning to fall behind, Oreo is the last/final OS update - you are already on the latest API 27.1 - there isn't much you can do to bring it more "current" with that platform.  Unless you had replaced the stock battery, its health is likely fallen a bit & no longer last a full day of light to moderate usage - it still get quarterly updates from Samsung, instead of monthly ones.  I suspect that the NCL App are now geared toward Android 9, 10 and 11's - with 12 coming out around the corner next month, and it's difficult to run some of the apps on Oreo ... these are some of the possible reasons why you have issues with the NCL App. 

I have a spare backup Google Nexus 6P that runs a custom Oreo rom with updated 2021 security patches, and the NCL App is running fine - not a lot of installed Apps on it.  Might I suggest, if you still plan to keep the Galaxy S7 and use it, backup your data & settings to Google cloud first, then do a clean factory reset to flush it clean, and, restart and restore the installed Apps, data & settings from the backup (with your ID & password used on Google) over WiFi - and see whether it will help or not.  It's a weekend project & will take several hours to complete, depending on your broadband speed - sit back & relax, wait & hopefully, you can see improved responses overall.  

Otherwise, it's time to shop for a newer Samsung smartphone or whatever brand of choice that's compatible with your cellular provider/plan - some of the entry/mid-level 5G devices aren't too expenses - it should last, with care & love, you another 3 to 4, maybe 5 years with the upgrade. 

Same problem.   Worked until last month on my Samsung galaxy s7.  

On 9/18/2021 at 5:27 PM, amyaphiiz said:

A S7 may be new to you and "not that old" but it is a old model phone that Samsung does not even sell any more.  Most older hone models are limited to the OS version they can run etc.  Depending on the way the app is coded and its requirements, the app may or may not work on that model no matter what you do.

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, mking8288 said:

can't use my android 11 phone right now and my cruise is in 2 weeks.

i switched to a relative's samsung s7 (android 8).

did a factory reset.

can't even find NCL app in play store.

my play store is version 28.3.16-21

Edited by fstuff1

On 10/27/2021 at 1:36 AM, cruiseat50 said:

*Calling and Messaging Package has a nominal one-time fee for making unlimited onboard calls and messages during your cruise.

How much is this nominal one time fee?

It was $9.95 the last time I sailed on the Gem in November (charter).

58 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

can't use my android 11 phone right now and my cruise is in 2 weeks.

i switched to a relative's samsung s7 (android 8).

did a factory reset.

can't even find NCL app in play store.

my play store is version 28.3.16-21

That's strange, my Google Pixel on Android 12 is running same Play Store, API level is basically same & current. You can't find or see this App in the store ??  Unless it's not backward compatible with Android 8 for various & security reasons ... possible.

Screenshot_20211215-155214.png

25 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

That's strange, my Google Pixel on Android 12 is running same Play Store, API level is basically same & current. You can't find or see this App in the store ??  Unless it's not backward compatible with Android 8 for various & security reasons ... possible.

after some detective work, i found out why ncl app doesnt like my S7:

Requires Android 8.1 and up

the last official update to the American version of the s7 was 8.0.
some foreign countries got 8.1, i think.

now to look for and install a custom Android 8.1 version for my phone

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

... ncl app doesnt like my S7:

Requires Android 8.1 and up ... 
now to look for and install a custom Android 8.1 version for my phone

Mystery solved, problems remained, saw your other post just now ... 

Here's a quick link to XDA-D, assuming you know about unlocking BL, roots, TWRP to custom rom and using Magisk to pass SafetyNet, etc. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/samsung-galaxy-s7-snapdragon-roms-kernels-reco.5974/

Rather than look for a supported Android 8 or 9 custom rom with latest security patches for that S7, find something on Android 10 or 11, the better & compatible ones are out there - otherwise, between Google & Samsung's security checks, NCL App might load but not run properly or just FC'd 

If that "original" smartphone running basically stock Android 11, odds are better for you to find a currently supported rom, once you unlock BL, root & wiped clean, and do a clean, fresh & full install - test it out before embarkation ... you don't want to board only to find out that the NCL app doesn't play or get along. 

Otherwise, shop for and upgrade to a newer one, SWAPPA is my choice to find a good pre-owned deal, much better than going to *Bay.  Look for a factory unlocked device, as some of the carrier-branded one might be BL locked (besides Samsung's) and sometimes, next to/impossible to do anything about it - especially if you feel you want/need a mobile device to use onboard NCL.  

samsung-galaxy-s7-snapdragon-roms-kernel

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Mystery solved, problems remained, saw your other post just now ... 

Here's a quick link to XDA-D, assuming you know about unlocking BL, roots, TWRP to custom rom and using Magisk to pass SafetyNet, etc. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/samsung-galaxy-s7-snapdragon-roms-kernels-reco.5974/

Rather than look for a supported Android 8 or 9 custom rom with latest security patches for that S7, find something on Android 10 or 11, the better & compatible ones are out there - otherwise, between Google & Samsung's security checks, NCL App might load but not run properly or just FC'd 

If that "original" smartphone running basically stock Android 11, odds are better for you to find a currently supported rom, once you unlock BL, root & wiped clean, and do a clean, fresh & full install - test it out before embarkation ... you don't want to board only to find out that the NCL app doesn't play or get along. 

i've installed roms on non-bootlocked phones but not on bootlocked ones (like this S7).

sounds like waaaaay too much work just to get ncl app, especially since i can get the same info from the tv screen in my cabin. :classic_ohmy: