Uber/Lyft

lovetocruise79

Just curious for anyone who has stayed in a Galveston hotel the night before the cruise... Was it hard to get either uber or lyft the day of departure? Also, did you notice any surge? I'm planning on using Galveston express when we return as we will go directly back to the airport. 

Thanks for your input!

• 3 months later...

Hello fellow cruisers! Now that cruising has been happening out of Galveston has anyone used Uber or Lyft from airport to a Galveston hotel? I know there are issues getting Uber/Lyft as there are not a lot of drivers as there were pre-Covid. I am wondering if I should schedule a shuttle to pick us up from the airport and take us to our hotel. We are a party of two arriving Sunday around 1 pm staying at Gaido's one night pre-cruise. This is my first time sailing out of Galveston. 

And if you recommend taking a shuttle can you recommend one, please and thank you!

Thank you!!!

Uber and Lyft haven't been a problem in general use, but I don't know of anyone that has taken one from Houston to Galveston. I live in Houston and went to Galveston this weekend, and I will say traffic has been really bad heading south on the weekends. Vista was loading up when we left Galveston after lunch and it didn't look crowded around the port. Then we got to the highway to head north off the island and noticed a wreck had traffic backed up a few miles all the way to the mainland. Then further north road construction had traffic backed up a few more miles again. That 50 minute drive from Hobby to Galveston was probably closer to 2hr 15min. And IAH to the port was probably 2hr 45min.  My guess is you'd might want to plan a shuttle. Because even though there are Uber drivers, they may not want to take that drive. Again, this should only apply to weekends this summer.

P.S. We ate lunch at Nick's right there at Gaido's.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 6:35 AM, SCBarker said:

Here is some recent Uber situation. Uber quoted $300 for Galveston to Hobby but didn't have any cars that would do it.

Thank you so much for this!!! This is the info I was looking for. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 9:15 PM, SCBarker said:

Uber and Lyft haven't been a problem in general use, but I don't know of anyone that has taken one from Houston to Galveston. I live in Houston and went to Galveston this weekend, and I will say traffic has been really bad heading south on the weekends. Vista was loading up when we left Galveston after lunch and it didn't look crowded around the port. Then we got to the highway to head north off the island and noticed a wreck had traffic backed up a few miles all the way to the mainland. Then further north road construction had traffic backed up a few more miles again. That 50 minute drive from Hobby to Galveston was probably closer to 2hr 15min. And IAH to the port was probably 2hr 45min.  My guess is you'd might want to plan a shuttle. Because even though there are Uber drivers, they may not want to take that drive. Again, this should only apply to weekends this summer.

P.S. We ate lunch at Nick's right there at Gaido's.

Do you think Lyft would be more available and reasonable at Hobby to Galveston in October? 

23 hours ago, jcgld62 said:

Do you think Lyft would be more available and reasonable at Hobby to Galveston in October? 

I know the traffic will definitely be better. If it was me, I'd plan on that flat rate mentioned for the taxi, but try and hope for the ride share. There very well may be more knowledge about what shuttle services are up and running by then as well. 

I just heard from someone on the Carnival board about Uber pricing. She paid $45 to port from Hou, and $46 from port to Hou. This was off-peak times, but that is a whole lot cheaper than I was expecting.

1 hour ago, jcgld62 said:

Thanks for the info!

Double check . Lyft  at one time was official ride service in partnership with the Port of Galveston . Which meant  only  Lyft could enter  “inside” access  premises of terminals and drop off and pick up  . Uber was not allowed . 

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK 

19 minutes ago, ssb said:

Double check . Lyft  at one time was official ride service in partnership with the Port of Galveston . Which meant  only  Lyft could enter  “inside” access  premises of terminals and drop off and pick up  . Uber was not allowed . 

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK 

I plan to use Lyft for Hobby to Harbor House the day prior to cruise, will use Carnival transport from terminal to Hobby after cruise. Kinda leery about assuming Lyft will be available at terminal.

• 4 weeks later...
STOLEN FROM A FACEBOOK CRUISE GROUP BUT IT’S GOOD TO KNOW!

I drive for Uber & Lyft -

I do pick up passengers when the ships return to Galveston. During the shut down Galveston changed some things and it has effected passengers trying to get a ride.
I know for a fact there are at least 10-12 drivers in Galveston waiting to pick you up.

The problem is you CAN NOT use the port as your pick up location. For some reason the passenger app does not recognize that there are drivers in the area.
You have to move your pick up location to the other side of Harborside (street the ships are on). Use Starbucks as your pickup location and put in your destination . As soon as you get a ride, message the driver and let them know where you are! We will pick up at the ship regardless of where you put the pick up location.

IMPORTANT-
When letting your driver know what letter you are standing at please also tell them what ship you are on. There are usually 2 ships on Saturday & Sunday. (Letting us know something distinct you are wearing- like a bright yellow shirt also helps!!)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After running an estimate for Uber, it seems like it is by far the cheapest way to get our family of 3 from Houston to the port.  We will be flying in the night before and staying in Houston.  We have a 4:30 pm flight out at Hobby the day the cruise returns, so no big time crunches either way.  But since it is a 45 minute drive, has anyone had any issues actually finding an Uber or Lyft?  Or can anyone think of any reasons why booking a shuttle would be smarter?  I know it sounds like a silly question but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.  This is the first time we have left out of Galveston.

8 hours ago, rlindholm said:

After running an estimate for Uber, it seems like it is by far the cheapest way to get our family of 3 from Houston to the port.  We will be flying in the night before and staying in Houston.  We have a 4:30 pm flight out at Hobby the day the cruise returns, so no big time crunches either way.  But since it is a 45 minute drive, has anyone had any issues actually finding an Uber or Lyft?  Or can anyone think of any reasons why booking a shuttle would be smarter?  I know it sounds like a silly question but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.  This is the first time we have left out of Galveston.

Howdy @rlindholm emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards and thank you for your new thread titled Has anyone had any issues using Lyft or Uber to get from Houston to Galveston? here on the Gulf Coast Departures forum! 👍 I see it has been awhile since you have posted on the boards.

To help you out I have merged your post into the existing thread Uber/LyftI suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread. That way you will not have to go l👀king to see if there are any new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

I hope this will help and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

• 5 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 5:03 AM, IloveCatsandCruises said:

We took Galveston express (shared shuttle) Houston airport to holiday inn express and suites Galveston day before cruise $35 pp. then took Lyft to port morning of (approx $15). We are signed up for carnival transfer back to airport post cruise (on Vista right now)

BINGO!  Thanks for a great response!

We used Uber to get from our hotel near Hobby to the port last Saturday.  Lyft has exclusive service to the port.  Uber is NOT allowed into the port drop off or pick up area.  You have to schlep your bags across the street.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, adonisr said:

We used Uber to get from our hotel near Hobby to the port last Saturday.  Lyft has exclusive service to the port.  Uber is NOT allowed into the port drop off or pick up area.  You have to schlep your bags across the street.  

Hello, what was your Uber price from Hobby airport to Galveston? 

19 hours ago, SoCali4 said:

Hello, what was your Uber price from Hobby airport to Galveston? 

We stayed in Texas City on Friday night and then went the rest of the way on Sat.  Plus it was Mardi Gra, so prices were a little higher.  The two totaled about 70 bucks.  Our return from the port to Hobby was about 45 bucks before tip.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

From reading this thread, it seems Lyft can pick you up from the pier, but Uber can’t.  Does Uber have to pick you up across from the pier?  Can someone confirm that?

Can I get recent details on the best way to order Lyft or Uber from the pier to Hobby airport?  Also, an average cost?  Our cruise isn’t until next year on RC, sailing Sunday to Sunday.

Edited by slyster

13 hours ago, slyster said:

From reading this thread, it seems Lyft can pick you up from the pier, but Uber can’t.  Does Uber have to pick you up across from the pier?  Can someone confirm that?

Can I get recent details on the best way to order Lyft or Uber from the pier to Hobby airport?  Also, an average cost?  Our cruise isn’t until next year on RC, sailing Sunday to Sunday.

This has changed. Uber final signed a deal with the port and can now pick up and drop off at the pier.

Okay, so Uber and Lyft can pick up and drop off at pier.  Got it.  

How about average costs from pier to hobby?  I saw a couple of posts that it may be more expensive from pier to airport due to the heavy demand?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 2:06 PM, slyster said:

Okay, so Uber and Lyft can pick up and drop off at pier.  Got it.  

How about average costs from pier to hobby?  I saw a couple of posts that it may be more expensive from pier to airport due to the heavy demand?

We did Lyft XL last Saturday and it was $95.  You could get regular Lyft for around $60 if I remember correctly.  But, there weren't as many regular Lyft available.  Another couple waiting near us had to wait a few minutes to get one scheduled.  That was around 9:15 or so.

• Like 1