Test Positive - Denied Borading?

I could not find any comments about this but I was wondering if NCL will deny boarding to anyone testing positive prior to embarkation? 

And, if so, will they refund your cruise money?

If there is not yet any policy on this yet, no problem. We are not scheduled for a cruise until next summer.

Guests and members of their party who are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test result, within 2 weeks of their sail date, will be permitted to apply the full value of all amounts paid to a future cruise credit or, at the guest's discretion, be provided a cash refund. Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/sail-safe

Keep an an eye on the link, as info seems to change frequently 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

im sorry, but i would think that under  the current worldwide conditions, anyone who would spend the time,money and effort to book a cruise, would make sure of their vaccination status, and if they are in the "unvaccinated" category, would check prior to leaving for the departure city, what the regulations might be.  

i would hate to go through the expense of traveling to a port in europe, only to be told i cant sail.  in t his case i would err on the side of caution."better to be safe than sorry"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

im sorry, but i would think that under  the current worldwide conditions, anyone who would spend the time,money and effort to book a cruise, would make sure of their vaccination status, and if they are in the "unvaccinated" category, would check prior to leaving for the departure city, what the regulations might be.  

i would hate to go through the expense of traveling to a port in europe, only to be told i cant sail.  in t his case i would err on the side of caution."better to be safe than sorry"

I think OP is vaccinated and asking if their Covid test at the pier came back positive and they were denied boarding would they get their money back. First, they would give you a second test before denying boarding. If it came back positive, I believe you would get your cruise fare back as a 100% FCC. Looks like as of now NCL also says they will help you get back home. Check their website for the info. Probably should keep an eye on how this will be handled as it could change at any time…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SSFun said:

I think OP is vaccinated and asking if their Covid test at the pier came back positive and they were denied boarding would they get their money back. First, they would give you a second test before denying boarding. If it came back positive, I believe you would get your cruise fare back as a 100% FCC. Looks like as of now NCL also says they will help you get back home. Check their website for the info. Probably should keep an eye on how this will be handled as it could change at any time…

I have seen a second test mentioned in other lines' info but not in NCL's.  Has NCL posted something indicating that a second test will be done, or has that been noted in info sent to people with upcoming cruises?

49 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I have seen a second test mentioned in other lines' info but not in NCL's.  Has NCL posted something indicating that a second test will be done, or has that been noted in info sent to people with upcoming cruises?

Hmmm. I went back to look on the NCL website and I don’t see that a second test will be given either. I must have seen that’s about a different cruise line. Sorry for the misinformation. Thanks for catching my mistake! 

I would be SHOCKED if NCL didn't administer a second test before turning people away at the pier. Antigen tests have a pretty high false positivity rate. That could cost NCL a lot of money in refunds and transportation for people who don't actually have COVID. It would definitely be much cheaper to do a second test and get those people onboard, spending more money instead.

• Like 8

Just now, JamieLogical said:

I would be SHOCKED if NCL didn't administer a second test before turning people away at the pier. Antigen tests have a pretty high false positivity rate. That could cost NCL a lot of money in refunds and transportation for people who don't actually have COVID. It would definitely be much cheaper to do a second test and get those people onboard, spending more money instead.

I agree! Especially since the website says they will do PCR tests on board so they do have them available.

Yesterday’s letter said “Guests who are denied embarkation or reboarding for failure to comply with Norwegian Cruise Line’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures will not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. For more information, please click here. As government regulations evolve, our health and safety protocols will evolve as needed to ensure compliance. This may mean different protocols from ship to ship based on local requirements. Policies and procedures are subject to change at any time. For additional information about all you need to know to prepare for an amazing vacation ahead, click here. Thank you for your attention, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard!

General COVID Cancellation Policies are at www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-Covid-19

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yesterday’s letter said “Guests who are denied embarkation or reboarding for failure to comply with Norwegian Cruise Line’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures will not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. For more information, please click here. As government regulations evolve, our health and safety protocols will evolve as needed to ensure compliance. This may mean different protocols from ship to ship based on local requirements. Policies and procedures are subject to change at any time. For additional information about all you need to know to prepare for an amazing vacation ahead, click here. Thank you for your attention, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard!

General COVID Cancellation Policies are at www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-Covid-19

I believe that this letter is addressing a different issue (or at least I hope it is). If one tests positive for Covid at embarkation, or even when reboarding at a port of call, yet are abiding by NCL’s policies and procedures, I think they would qualify for a full or partial refund according to NCL’s info on their Sail Safe page.

So I am also curious, let's say you test positive and they turn you away or even you test positive and they remove you from the ship. How do you get home? Do air lines allow covid positive passengers on the plane?  Would hotels let you in?  I mean if you live near the port, you could drive home but how about everyone else?

• Like 1

Didn't everyone see the video that went viral 2 weeks ago about the woman who was kicked off the ship for testing positive.   It really highlighted the problem with mixed cruises of vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers.  There was a mix up and she go the wrist band for a vaccinated passenger.  A day or two later the cruise line realized the mistake and gave her a Covid test.  She tested positive and was immediately removed from the ship.

No business or cruise line is going to assume such civil liability for knowingly letting Covid positive passengers on the ship.  As we know, Covid is extremely contagious.  

• Like 1

Will they still be doing temperature checks as well? Will people test before dropping their bags at the porters?

In NYC it was drop the bags with the porters, then enter the terminal. So would this be the same order?

If they do not accept someone on the ship, they will need to track down their luggage and return it to them.

Also, what happens with the persons return flight if they have one? Assume their original ticket would be for 8-9 days later- also would they need to get tested to board a flight? (I assume not but was just asking)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

You do know you can be vaccinated and test positive, right?

• Like 2

FLcruisergrl: exactly our concern for a pending cruise approaching final payment. 

Given current processes, it’s apparently a confirmed positive test = no cruise, regardless of vax status, which I can understand.

Assume, for sake of discussion, pending legal issues are resolved and vax status can be  qualified prior to boarding (and I’m not picking a side in that battle):
if it’s a 100% vaxed cruise,  would there

A)still be a pre-board test?

if yes, and test is positive,

B) would boarding be denied, even knowing all others on board are 100% vaxxed?

If both A and B are yes, I know how I’ll decide on final payment.  We’ll see what plays out over the next month or so.

Personally I plan to pick up a couple of the BinaxNow rapid tests from Walgreens. I plan to take one when we arrive in Seattle and then a second just as we leave the hotel and head to the pier. Just for my peace of mind. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, xcell said:

So I am also curious, let's say you test positive and they turn you away or even you test positive and they remove you from the ship. How do you get home? Do air lines allow covid positive passengers on the plane?  Would hotels let you in?  I mean if you live near the port, you could drive home but how about everyone else?

No, you can not fly on a commercial flight if you are covid-positive. 

The NCL policy below says that the cruise line will help you with arrangements. Doesn't say that they will pay for it. A cross-country COVID medivac will cost a few $$$. Royal use to do it for free, but after getting hit for the bills of international medivacs during the first couple of weeks of operating out of Nassau and Saint Merteen, they now force their unvaxxed passengers to buy travel insurance that includes medivac. 

Debarkation Scenarios

We have developed a thorough mobilization and response plan focused on providing medical treatment, collaborating with local authorities and coordinating safe passage home for all guests and crew should the need arise. We have also established relationships with onshore medical institutions and enhanced our telemedicine consultation capabilities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CWMixer said:

FLcruisergrl: exactly our concern for a pending cruise approaching final payment. 

Given current processes, it’s apparently a confirmed positive test = no cruise, regardless of vax status, which I can understand.

Assume, for sake of discussion, pending legal issues are resolved and vax status can be  qualified prior to boarding (and I’m not picking a side in that battle):
if it’s a 100% vaxed cruise,  would there

A)still be a pre-board test?

if yes, and test is positive,

B) would boarding be denied, even knowing all others on board are 100% vaxxed?

If both A and B are yes, I know how I’ll decide on final payment.  We’ll see what plays out over the next month or so.

The NCL Policy has always been

image.thumb.png.3b40574341651abd72f0085256901aab.png

And yes, if you test positive, you won't be allowed on the ship. Because if you test positive, you are a vaccinated person that has caught COVID. 

And yes, everyone in your party will be denied boarding. 

14 hours ago, HowardK said:

Will they still be doing temperature checks as well? Will people test before dropping their bags at the porters?

In NYC it was drop the bags with the porters, then enter the terminal. So would this be the same order?

If they do not accept someone on the ship, they will need to track down their luggage and return it to them.

Also, what happens with the persons return flight if they have one? Assume their original ticket would be for 8-9 days later- also would they need to get tested to board a flight? (I assume not but was just asking)

Regarding temperature checks, I’ve yet to see anything in our pre-boarding info about them. It seems redundant to do a temp check and antigen test at the same time. We might be checked anyway. 

We haven’t been informed of any change to luggage handling. I would assume that  the baggage of an incoming passenger is held until boarding is confirmed (which I also assume is standard practice anyway).

17 hours ago, SSFun said:

I believe that this letter is addressing a different issue (or at least I hope it is). If one tests positive for Covid at embarkation, or even when reboarding at a port of call, yet are abiding by NCL’s policies and procedures, I think they would qualify for a full or partial refund according to NCL’s info on their Sail Safe page.

Yes, it is a different issue. Failing to comply is not the same as testing positive. Failing to comply would be refusing to allow yourself to be tested in the first place. If you test positive, you have complied, and NCL would be responsible for getting you home and reimbursing you (unless they agree to a second test which shows you're negative).

11 hours ago, zerooveride said:

Personally I plan to pick up a couple of the BinaxNow rapid tests from Walgreens. I plan to take one when we arrive in Seattle and then a second just as we leave the hotel and head to the pier. Just for my peace of mind. 

That's what I've been thinking too. I'd like to take a test before we leave for our flight to the departure port. Though should the test be positive, I'm not sure where that would leave us regarding canceling. We've got the NCL trip insurance, which I think has cancel for any reason?

1 hour ago, Shellbelle28 said:

That's what I've been thinking too. I'd like to take a test before we leave for our flight to the departure port. Though should the test be positive, I'm not sure where that would leave us regarding canceling. We've got the NCL trip insurance, which I think has cancel for any reason?

According to the current Sail Safe FAQs if you test positive within 2 weeks of departure you are covered like you would be if you tested positive pre-boarding.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:58 AM, complawyer said:

I have been vaccinated. That being said, I have seen that there have been people who tested positive, even thought they have been vaccinated. So, if they require a negative test of all passengers, we could still be in trouble. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zerooveride said:

How does that give you peace of mind.  If positive the procedure would

be the same.  Denied boarding and quarantine.      

• Like 2