Type of Covid vaccine requirement

carribbound

Just now, ProgRockCruiser said:

It is approved by the WHO, which Carnival is also recognizing.

It's not approved by the CDC nor FDA. Maybe I should have prefaced this by stating US cruises. Carnival can choose what they accept, but the CDC is based on what is approved by the US. If it does not fall into what the CDC approves, then you are part of the 5%. For something that is necessary to cruise, I would not chance it until Carnival clearly states on the cruising documents: Any 2 dose combination of the following vaccines is accepted to cruise from the US: Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca. and Novavax (assuming it is approved in the coming weeks). 

Until that is stated directly, on paper, and not from John Heald's mouth, I would not risk it. I know John is an ambassador, but verbal is far different than written confirmation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It's not approved by the CDC nor FDA. Maybe I should have prefaced this by stating US cruises. Carnival can choose what they accept, but the CDC is based on what is approved by the US. If it does not fall into what the CDC approves, then you are part of the 5%. For something that is necessary to cruise, I would not chance it until Carnival clearly states on the cruising documents: Any 2 dose combination of the following vaccines is accepted to cruise from the US: Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca. and Novavax (assuming it is approved in the coming weeks). 

Until that is stated directly, on paper, and not from John Heald's mouth, I would not risk it. I know John is an ambassador, but verbal is far different than written confirmation.

In situations where the same mRNA vaccine product is temporarily unavailable, it is preferable to delay the second dose (up to 6 weeks) to receive the same product than to receive a mixed series using a different product. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

Based on above the CDC they do acknowledge mixing for Pfizer and Moderna.

31 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I'm also confused by your statement because on the Carnival website, in writing it says:

For cruises departing the U.S., the CDC requires both vaccines in a 2-dose series to be of the same type. They also accept mixing mRNA vaccines only (Pfizer and Moderna). 

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

38 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Its stated on their website under Health protocols/vaccine  which is the "new" paper lol.  

• Like 1

Here is an excerpt from the CDC site 

every effort should be made to determine which vaccine product was received as the first dose to ensure completion of the vaccine series with the same product. In exceptional situations in which the mRNA vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series. In situations where the same mRNA vaccine product is temporarily unavailable, it is preferable to delay the second dose (up to 6 weeks) to receive the same product than to receive a mixed series using a different product. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So I was correct when I mentioned approved by the WHO.

It says CDC or WHO, which really translates to the WHO

since every vaccine approved by the CDC is on the WHO list,

but not vice versa.

OMG! So you mean

there's an entity that stands over the CDC, in superiority??

Unthinkable - lol

• Like 1