Restrictions on Cruise Ship Visitors -- St. Kitts

SherriZ366

From my roll call for all Allure of the Seas 8-22-2021 cruise:

From St Kitt's Tourism website)

Cruise passengers visiting St Kitts and Nevis will participate in “bubble tours” to ensure the destination’s safety. 

From July 22 onwards, passengers will visit specific destinations in designated transportation, according to Tourism Minister Lindsay Grant. 

“When the passengers alight from the cruise vessel, they are going to go into bubble tours, and it means that they will not have direct contact with the citizens of St. Kitts and Nevis,” Grant said. ““If they are going to tour at the Brimstone Hill, all the persons working at the Brimstone Hill would be vaccinated on that particular day that the ship and its passengers will go there.”

“They will leave from the ship to the designated transportation to Brimstone Hill in a bubble that means all the persons that they will come into contact with will be vaccinated; they will visit Brimstone Hill or whichever tour they visit, and they come back to the ship in the same bubble without being allowed to have contact with our citizens,” he said. 

We wanted to get a day pass for the St. Kitt's Marriott so maybe next year as we are scheduled to stop in St. Kitts in August, 2022.  

• 2 weeks later...

Going there end of this month on Celebrity. Only ship's excursion are allowed. I am 50/50 Celebrity will switch ports to St Martin or make it a sea day.

Sea day for St Kitts has happened many times in past cruises, even when things were normal. Hoping for the best.

7 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Going there end of this month on Celebrity. Only ship's excursion are allowed. I am 50/50 Celebrity will switch ports to St Martin or make it a sea day.

Sea day for St Kitts has happened many times in past cruises, even when things were normal. Hoping for the best.

It looks like St. Kitts is only allowing ships with 700 or less passengers.  It looks like Allure of the Seas will be going to St. Maarten as an alternative.  

20 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

It looks like St. Kitts is only allowing ships with 700 or less passengers.  It looks like Allure of the Seas will be going to St. Maarten as an alternative.  

Yup. Read that last night. Celebrity has not notified us yet of a port change or sea day. But I am not putting any eggs in St Kitts' basket😁.

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Yup. Read that last night. Celebrity has not notified us yet of a port change or sea day. But I am not putting any eggs in St Kitts' basket😁.

It's official for the 8-22-2021 cruise-- we're going to St. Maarten -- got an email from RCI about our upcoming 2021 cruise.  We love St. Maarten and maybe our 2022 HM summer cruise that stops in St. Kitts will actually stop there.  It would be great if that happens and we were not restricted to RCI Shore Excursions.  

Edited by SherriZ366

On 8/2/2021 at 10:19 PM, SherriZ366 said:

St. Kitts denies there is any capacity restriction on cruise ships. From the update in this article, it looks like RCI may have misstated the reason for dropping St. Kitts. 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/USVI-bans-cruise-ships-unvaccinated-passengers

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

St. Kitts denies there is any capacity restriction on cruise ships. From the update in this article, it looks like RCI may have misstated the reason for dropping St. Kitts. 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/USVI-bans-cruise-ships-unvaccinated-passengers

I think that this is the operative reason why St Kitts was removed from the Allure's Itinerary:

A Royal Caribbean spokeswoman later said that St. Kitts was removed from the Allure itinerary "due to additional health protocols that will limit our ability to visit the island."

My friend's daughter lives in St. Kitts and she told me that the island has limited medical resources.  

For this COVID period and the restriction that you had to take a ship shore excursion to disembark,  I am glad we are going to St Maarten instead.  

• 2 weeks later...

We are scheduled to visit St Kitts on our Oct trip on the Freedom.  So far, it has not been dropped.   Dropping it and picking up St Maarten will not help, as our cruise already includes St. Maarten.   We are all vaccinated in our group, but as of now, our ship is supposedly sailing at the 95% criteria.  Trying to plan things is very difficult - Grand Turks has been dropped and picked up Amber Cove, which is fine, as we have not been there.  But would sure like to have a better understanding for St. Kitts

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kjenaz said:

It looks like the Equinox will be stopping in St. Kitts in a few days.  Anyone know if they are allowed to just get off and get a cab to a beach?

Per Celebrity's website, only Celebrity's cruise ship sponsored excursions are permitted in St. Kitts:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Southern Caribbean
On your own tours are permitted in St. Croix, St. Thomas, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and St. Lucia. Excursions provided by Celebrity Cruises are required in Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Maarten and Tortola, BVI. While in Aruba, the use of masks is required while indoors, except for while eating and drinking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, Gma&Gpa said:

We are scheduled to visit St Kitts on our Oct trip on the Freedom.  So far, it has not been dropped.   Dropping it and picking up St Maarten will not help, as our cruise already includes St. Maarten.   We are all vaccinated in our group, but as of now, our ship is supposedly sailing at the 95% criteria.  Trying to plan things is very difficult - Grand Turks has been dropped and picked up Amber Cove, which is fine, as we have not been there.  But would sure like to have a better understanding for St. Kitts

Our December Carnival Freedom cruise had said Amber Cove too if I recall correctly, but now it says Grand Turk.

Who knows. It could easily change again before we sail.

Our mid November Allure cruise had already had some port shifts and just yesterday we learned that the added port Nassau would be dropped in addition to St. Thomas and PR and st. Kitts added. Nothing is yet listed activity wise for St. Kitts, hopefully things are looking a little more positive now for the port - definitely hope so!

On 7/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, DonnaMarieNJ said:

following ... I'm supposed to be there in December ...

We are stopping there on Allure in December. We got notice that you can only disembark if you’re on a ship sponsored tour. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, bonship said:

We are in St. Kitts today on Caribbean Princess. Only ship excursions allowed. Passengers received letter last night saying we could not leave marketplace area at pier except on Princess excursions. 

Thank you for the update! We will be visiting St. Kitts on the Enchanted Princess on December 17th and was wondering if I should even look at local tour operators.

• Like 1