MS Nieuw Statendam .Please tell me about this ship.

GOLDENBONNY

Hello all. Looking for a December cruise  on Nieuw Statendam , didn't cruise with HAL for 10 years because of luck of evening entertainment . Now we are older and looking for vaccinated cruise only( and no masks), so HAL  looks like good option, specially on bigger ships. So please tell me how is HAL now. Do they have same amazing food like before ? How is night show's in main theatre? Do we need suite for formal night or its not that formal anymore ? We are going with friends, and they do love SPA and Thermal Suites, can they get a package for the whole cruise and how much is this ? Anything special  not to miss on this ship? Thank you .

As cruising is just firing up, I would do a lot of reading here...everyone is on pins and needles about what it is going to be like now. Look for info on Koningsdam, as she is a twin sister of N. Statendam. 

Look at the Live from the N. Amsterdam thread for the current breaking news on what is happening, and there is a newly posted info on spa plans and costs.

The variety of nightly entertainment is much better, particularly if you like lots of music options.

I'm not sure if Holland A can have a ship with 100% vaccinated passengers. Also not sure that no masks required will happen. I'm booked for the NS in December and hoping all you said is true, but its too early to say. On my upcoming 9/13 Disney cruise coming up passengers don't have to be vaccinated ( but they are making it very difficult if you are not), plus masks will be required inside. 

19 minutes ago, jrbeccles said:

I'm not sure if Holland A can have a ship with 100% vaccinated passengers. 

Why not? It is only the Florida law that prohibits asking if one is vaccinated. We are sailing on HAL in Nov. from San Diego on a 100% vaccinated cruise. We would not have it any other way.

• Like 1

I sailed aboard NS in 2019. LOVED this ship! Here’s a post that talks about a few things I enjoyed: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2679564-back-after-2-years-changes/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-57907383

and the World Stage: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2784507-passenger-space-on-nieuw-statendam-does-it-feel-crowded/?tab=comments#comment-61254812

We thoroughly enjoyed our time on this ship!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

I'm not sure if Holland A can have a ship with 100% vaccinated passengers. Also not sure that no masks required will happen. I'm booked for the NS in December and hoping all you said is true, but its too early to say. On my upcoming 9/13 Disney cruise coming up passengers don't have to be vaccinated ( but they are making it very difficult if you are not), plus masks will be required inside. 

The sailings in Alaska are fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

According the the HAL web site ALL 2021 cruises are for fu;lly vaccinated including those from Florida.

"All of our 2021 cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Hello all. Looking for a December cruise  on Nieuw Statendam , didn't cruise with HAL for 10 years because of luck of evening entertainment . Now we are older and looking for vaccinated cruise only( and no masks), so HAL  looks like good option, specially on bigger ships. So please tell me how is HAL now. Do they have same amazing food like before ? How is night show's in main theatre? Do we need suite for formal night or its not that formal anymore ? We are going with friends, and they do love SPA and Thermal Suites, can they get a package for the whole cruise and how much is this ? Anything special  not to miss on this ship? Thank you .

After sailing on the NS in 2019, I'll give my two cents worth for you. 

Lots of food options with free pizza, deli sandwiches, chicken wings, and salads at the NY Pizza & Deli overlooking the indoor pool one of my favorites.  Lots of places to eat and a good Room Service menu.

Main theater shows are not so great and rely mainly on digital productions.  Live entertainment includes classic, rock, and blues shows.  Billboard Rock venue and BB King Blues Club play until midnight.

Formal night requires collared polo shirts which covers the majority of the diners.  I counted ten tuxedos and a handful of long gowns.  Leave your suit at home if you wish. 

There are spa specials for couples but the prices vary on each ship and cruise duration.  I will be onboard in November and find out for sure.

The Dutch Cafe has free 8-inch chewy chocolate chip cookies, pea soup, and apple cake.

Here is a link to my photo review to give you a hint of what you will experience: 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-statendam-images/

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

I have not yet sailed on her and others here may have contradictory information, but I understand the outside promenade deck on this ship is considerably narrower and does not have outside deck chairs as do the older ships.

For many, including us, the deck chairs on the promenade deck are an important part of the cruising experience and not having them, if that is the case, on this newer ship would be a disappointment.

As I say, others here may have different information.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

didn't cruise with HAL for 10 years because of luck of evening entertainment .

Based on the "When and Where" a CC member posted who is currently on Nieuw Amsterdam, the Main Theater entertainment has not improved.  But, that is my opinion based on what I experienced on Nieuw Statendam.  Others will disagree.  

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

After sailing on the NS in 2019, I'll give my two cents worth for you. 

Lots of food options with free pizza, deli sandwiches, chicken wings, and salads at the NY Pizza & Deli overlooking the indoor pool one of my favorites.  Lots of places to eat and a good Room Service menu.

Main theater shows are not so great and rely mainly on digital productions.  Live entertainment includes classic, rock, and blues shows.  Billboard Rock venue and BB King Blues Club play until midnight.

Formal night requires collared polo shirts which covers the majority of the diners.  I counted ten tuxedos and a handful of long gowns.  Leave your suit at home if you wish. 

There are spa specials for couples but the prices vary on each ship and cruise duration.  I will be onboard in November and find out for sure.

The Dutch Cafe has free 8-inch chewy chocolate chip cookies, pea soup, and apple cake.

Here is a link to my photo review to give you a hint of what you will experience: 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-statendam-images/

Agree with Crew News's post mirrors my experience on Nieuw Statendam.  The NY Pizza & Deli is a good addition to the dining options.  The Dutch Cafe is also unique.  The ship's modern art, mostly, is not appreciated by me.  Maybe if the art had some labels to describe what the artists was trying to portray, that would help me better appreciate what I was viewing.  

2 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

I have not yet sailed on her and others here may have contradictory information, but I understand the outside promenade deck on this ship is considerably narrower and does not have outside deck chairs as do the older ships.

For many, including us, the deck chairs on the promenade deck are an important part of the cruising experience and not having them, if that is the case, on this newer ship would be a disappointment.

Very narrow with single wide at the ends.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_3172.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_3180.jpg

Edited by Crew News

Just now, DFD1 said:

I understand the outside promenade deck on this ship is considerably narrower and does not have outside deck chairs as do the older ships.

No deck chairs on that deck and I share the posters opinion about enjoying a deck chair on a promenade deck.  But, there are more than sufficient deck chairs in other locations of the ship to satisfy me regarding that issue. 

Don't like it?  Don't blame HAL.  Blame the SOLAS regulations which influenced how the ship was designed and built.  

Just now, rkacruiser said:

No deck chairs on that deck and I share the posters opinion about enjoying a deck chair on a promenade deck.  But, there are more than sufficient deck chairs in other locations of the ship to satisfy me regarding that issue. 

Don't like it?  Don't blame HAL.  Blame the SOLAS regulations which influenced how the ship was designed and built.  

No blame was intended or stated.

• Thanks 1

The entertainment is much better at night.  None during the day.  The main theater is very nice with less good entertainment. Good food in many places around the ship---except in the MDR.  We rarely go there anymore.  We also are sailing in December on the NS.

Here is a link to the daily activities aboard the NS to give you an idea of what happen each day.  FWIW live classical music was on the Lincoln Stage (middle of the ship every afternoon that I passed by.  There is a great balcony view looking down at the stage.

Watching the movie under the stars by the indoor pool was a nice experience.

8 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

The entertainment is much better at night

The Music Walk?  Yes.  But, at least at the Rolling Stone Rock Room, the play list for the group needs to be much less repetitive than what I experienced.  Night after night.  

8 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

The main theater is very nice with less good entertainment.

A good description of what I experienced.  

2 hours ago, DFD1 said:

thank you .promenade deck never been important to us. We hardly or never use it.