HAL Dining Room Apparel For Men

HappyCamper49

We are taking our first HAL cruise on the new Rotterdam in April, 2022. My husband usually wears long sleeve, button down shirts in the MDR.  Are nice polo shirts acceptable in HAL's MDRs?  Sorry to appear so silly, but we do not want to stick out like sore thumbs!

17 minutes ago, HappyCamper49 said:

We are taking our first HAL cruise on the new Rotterdam in April, 2022. My husband usually wears long sleeve, button down shirts in the MDR.  Are nice polo shirts acceptable in HAL's MDRs?  Sorry to appear so silly, but we do not want to stick out like sore thumbs!

Howdy  @HappyCamper49 emo22.gif

Thank you for your post on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. 👍 However, please note the following information is at the top of each page in the forum:

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Holland America Line forum. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members with information about HAL frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Be sure to use the Follow feature on this thread. That way you won't have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts on this thread because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And don't forget, after your cruise, be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard the Cruise Critic message board! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

59 minutes ago, HappyCamper49 said:

Except on formal nights, all I ever wear are polo shirts - and that seems to be the most common attire I see.  I do wear a suit on formal (now called gala) nights.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Al Aboard said:

Except on formal nights, all I ever wear are polo shirts - and that seems to be the most common attire I see.  I do wear a suit on formal (now called gala) nights.

Thank you so much for your reply!  Packing should be so much easier now.

Here are the official rules:  

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. On Gala Nights in fine dining restaurants, collared shirts and slacks are required for gentlemen. For ladies, elegant dresses, skirts, or slacks are all acceptable.

Jeans, shorts and T-shirts are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

The majority of Gala Night diners wear just collared shirts and slacks.  Probably 30% wear jackets with some adding a tie.  You will see a handful of tuxedos on every cruise. 

I strongly recommend the unlimited laundry package and you can pack even less.

16 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

It will be fine ...

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

The majority of Gala Night diners wear just collared shirts and slacks.  Probably 30% wear jackets with some adding a tie.  You will see a handful of tuxedos on every cruise. 

I strongly recommend the unlimited laundry package and you can pack even less.

Thanks for the suggestion!