Portugal is now at Level 4.......oh my........

Lois R

I have a cruise booked for October on Spirit for 12 nights and now the CDC is showing travel to Portugal is at a Level 4😲 We are almost in August........I have to wonder how long Silversea will wait before they decide to sail or not. They must have folks following these advisories.   You have to wonder when they will make a final decision about if this cruise will sail.

Thoughts?

Hi Lois exactly why an hour ago, I cancelled by Chase BC air home from Lisbon and told our TA to book SS air on return.  We just don't know if Portugal will be open or not in October and/or if SS will cancel the voyage.  So best to take SS air if they canx this voyage. Hope not tho.

Edited by WesW

19 minutes ago, WesW said:

Hi Lois exactly why an hour ago, I cancelled by Chase BC air home from Lisbon and told our TA to book SS air on return.  We just don't know if Portugal will be open or not in October and/or if SS will cancel the voyage.  So best to take SS air if they canx this voyage. Hope not tho.

Hi Wes, I have SS air too.......did it from the start actually. Guess we will just have to "hurry up and wait" LOL......

Here is what Jorge Bras of Premier Tours, a life long six decade plus resident of Lisbon just told me regarding the Covid situation in Portugal.  Good summary, but it is still clear as mud whether our cruise will go or not.

According to the Portuguese health authority the country is facing the 4th wave of the pandemic due to the Delta variant and it's reaching its peak next week.

Also according to them Portugal will reach the group immunity by the 3rd week of August, meaning that 70% of the total population will have the 2 vaccine shots.

Regarding tourism admissions we are always revising and updating the pandemic developments in the other countries and acting accordingly.

I know this is a bit vague but it's all that I can tell you at the moment.  
  • Like 1

We are Spirit-ing late September (Southampton departure) and have heard absolutely nothing … so far. No request for vaccination details, no updates, the silence is stunning!

However I fear the worst is yet to come.

I had to arrange our own transport in the UK so may have to suck for that if the cruise is cancelled.

SS have arranged departure air.

I’m with you MBP, we are on the first cruise in Sept on Spirit out of Southampton so we are less than 37 days out and our air is still not ticketed. Thank goodness we booked air through SS, so not responsible  for getting stuck with air costs,  if cancelled . Also no way to upload vaccine info to mysilversea. I really don’t want to take this cruise if we can’t go  onshore independently . I dont mind wearing the mask wherever I go, but if we have to be subjected to routine testing and this variant is spreading so easily, breakthrough infection is very possible and could result  in quarantine. 

Im curious what others experience has been with those cruises that were already canceled this summer. When did they find out? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WesW said:

Here is what Jorge Bras of Premier Tours, a life long six decade plus resident of Lisbon just told me regarding the Covid situation in Portugal.  Good summary, but it is still clear as mud whether our cruise will go or not.

According to the Portuguese health authority the country is facing the 4th wave of the pandemic due to the Delta variant and it's reaching its peak next week.

Also according to them Portugal will reach the group immunity by the 3rd week of August, meaning that 70% of the total population will have the 2 vaccine shots.

Regarding tourism admissions we are always revising and updating the pandemic developments in the other countries and acting accordingly.

I know this is a bit vague but it's all that I can tell you at the moment.  

Apologies for hijacking the post but a quick message to Wes, as I’m unable to message him privately through the forum.

Hi Wes, you recently kindly responded to a legitimate question I raised ref the potential benefits of using a reputable TA for future cruises, strangely it seems to have disappeared. 

I appreciate your response and wanted to seek further details, but unfortunately I’m unable to send you a message directly as this is option is not available when I try to select sending you a message.

Thanks, Wayne (doolz2000@yahoo.com)

• Like 1