The Library

Minnie29

Always take a couple of novels on a cruise but I understand that the Library on QE is quite extensive. 
Do you know if they carry plenty of crime novels onboard? 
what is the procedure for borrowing books whilst on a cruise? 
Thank you

17 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

Always take a couple of novels on a cruise but I understand that the Library on QE is quite extensive. 
Thank you

James Patterson to Tess Gerritsen; Karen Rose to The Kellermans and many more. You won’t be disappointed.

Each passenger is allowed two books out on loan at any one time, to be changed as and when read. Your cruise card is your library card which you produce when taking the books out. The library shelves are all locked out of librarian hours but there’s usually a small number of paperbacks on side shelves left by passengers and taken to read on an honour basis. Like many passengers,  I leave any books  I take onboard there before disembarking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Thank you

Can't vouch for the crime section but I always find something enticing to read. It's a beautiful library and you take your chosen book or books to the counter and speak to a real person to borrow your books - as traditional as the polished wood you'll find there. Glorious, in my view.

• Like 3

I should take a book of your own as well though. You have to return library books the afternoon before disembarkation, so, unless you are a very quick reader or it's a very short book, you wouldn't want to start a new one the day before. This could give you nearly two bookless days, unless you have your own supply.

• Like 2

Library is very nice. I like looking at the huge Atlas. 

Procedure is just handing over your key card. I think there may be a limit on the number of books; you can take at least two at a time. 

I thought there was also a slot to return books out of hours? Or maybe that is just QM2? Double check when you are onboard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I should take a book of your own as well though. You have to return library books the afternoon before disembarkation, so, unless you are a very quick reader or it's a very short book, you wouldn't want to start a new one the day before. This could give you nearly two bookless days, unless you have your own supply.

That’s what Prime Reading is for. It’s my backup reading material. I always remember a cruise on another line when the library was closed due to a Norovirus outbreak. I was almost resorting to reading the various sachets of tea and condiments in the Lido!😁

I resolved never again to be caught short of books so always have the kindle app downloaded with max number of books, just in case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Library is very nice. I like looking at the huge Atlas. 

Procedure is just handing over your key card. I think there may be a limit on the number of books; you can take at least two at a time. 

I thought there was also a slot to return books out of hours? Or maybe that is just QM2? Double check when you are onboard. 

The max is two. No returns slot on QE or QV but you can leave books on the librarians's desk. I prefer to hand them in and be cancelled off my cruise card rather than dump them on an unattended desk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

The max is two. No returns slot on QE or QV but you can leave books on the librarians's desk. I prefer to hand them in and be cancelled off my cruise card rather than dump them on an unattended desk.

Not sure they would be “dumped” - certainly not by me - more placed carefully. I’ve done it several times all without problem. However, I can of course see why others would prefer to hand them in. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Not sure they would be “dumped” - certainly not by me - more placed carefully. I’ve done it several times all without problem. However, I can of course see why others would prefer to hand them in. 

You are good. When I have four heavy books [2x2] to return I'm afraid I'm  dumping mode and to be quite honest, better dumped than risk endangering toes by dropping the books on them.😃 I'm sure the books would be fine just left on the unattended  desk but habit of a decade means I like them to be cancelled off our cruise cards.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:51 AM, LittleFish1976 said:

Can't vouch for the crime section but I always find something enticing to read. 

Always remember the first trip on QM2 when I was bewildered by a workshop manual for a Land Rover! I mean, just what you need in the middle of the Atlantic.😄

• Like 2

On the QM there was also a Librarian who doubled as a Computer/Internet problem solver.

Also, the Library has comfortable chairs with a sea view, one of the best quiet public places for a good read.

As posters have stated the variety of books is extensive, from history to ports of call, but if a particular book is wanted, check with the Librarian first to see if available (computer), but if “out” one can always make a reservation for it’s return.  The Library will notify one when available for collection.  So very Cunard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Always remember the first trip on QM2 when I was bewildered by a workshop manual for a Land Rover! I mean, just what you need in the middle of the Atlantic.😄

I think that's just the sort of tome with which a few Cunard regulars could while away a few quiet hours on a steamer lounge; the Land Rover is, after all, a Special Subject if I am not very much mistaken.

In fact, the Queen herself is an expert, is she not, from her war days?

• Like 2