Currency Exchange

Lane412000

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Convenient for who? Not me...I'm a bit more old school and prefer cash purchases at my local fast food take-out or sit down local restaurants. We live in a small non tourist town....so that's why.

If my 95 year old mother can do it, I'm sure you could manage!

Businesses prefer it, as it saves them money, and individuals pefer it as you don't have to carry cash around. And obviously,  as more supermarkets reduce the number of cashiers, you can't use cash  when buying groceries.

But, your choice - I still think it is wise to have a contactless card when travelling in Europe,  and you will save money when you use it. 

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

If my 95 year old mother can do it, I'm sure you could manage!

Businesses prefer it, as it saves them money, and individuals pefer it as you don't have to carry cash around. And obviously,  as more supermarkets reduce the number of cashiers, you can't use cash  when buying groceries.

But, your choice - I still think it is wise to have a contactless card when travelling in Europe,  and you will save money when you use it. 

I’m sure it is not a matter of ability to use a card. They said it was a preference. Some businesses (a major gas facility in particular) charge more to use a card as they are charged by the card company.  I find it ridiculous to expose my cc info for a $2 purchase and rarely use it for less than $20. 
Cashierless does not mean cashless as self serve checkouts take cash and give change. I keep close track of my spending and use a cc often but too many people have no clue what their bill is whereas using cash let’s you physically see what you have left. My concern with using cash is the high number of cashiers who can’t make proper change without the computer. I’ve had them argue with me if I give them a 20 and a 1 dollar bill for an $11 purchase. One actually tried to give me back the dollar along with 9 more. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

charge more to use a card as they are charged by the card company.  

That is illegal in the UK.

And I'll quite happily buy a newspaper, for the equivalent of $1, with a card.

Retailers dont want cash, as the banks charge them a higher handling fee than that imposed by the cc companies.

We always carry some cash.

But...our preference would always be to use cashless payment.  Preferably CC. 

We frequently obtain discounts when using cash for accommodation when travelling in parts of Europe-Greece, Italy, etc.  Often ten percent or something else like a room upgrade, breakfast..whatever.

In some parts of Asia it is the opposite.  There is a sometimes a three percent premium for using a credit card.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

That is illegal in the UK.

And I'll quite happily buy a newspaper, for the equivalent of $1, with a card.

Retailers dont want cash, as the banks charge them a higher handling fee than that imposed by the cc companies.

Conduct your purchasing how you prefer...but the constant debate by you is not going to change my "preference". Time for you to change lanes and move on.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Knowing a bit of math oneself can eliminate that :classic_wink:

YouTube will have videos of short change artists, I would guess that everyone has been duped at one time or another. I was cheated at a bureaux de change in France, try getting that straightened out when you don't speak the language.

3 hours ago, whogo said:

Dishonest clerks pad their pay by short changing customers. Credit cards eliminate this risk.

Actually credit cards do not eliminate that risk.  As an example, there are a number of stores, restaurants, and hotels in FLL and MIA that routinely, when accepting our card, will ask if we want to be billed in our home currency.  Some cruise lines  do this for on board spending.    For us that is CAD.  

That question is code for we will bill you in your home currency BUT we will charge you an exchange rate that results in a cost 8-10 percent higher than you might otherwise would have paid if you let the cc issuer handle the exchange.  

Much worse for friends who purchased product on their cc  in mainland China during  their last trip. 

We always insist on being a credit card purchase being billed in the local currency.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

Conduct your purchasing how you prefer...but the constant debate by you is not going to change my "preference". Time for you to change lanes and move on.

Perhaps you would have the courtesy to stop shouting.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Here in Seattle I just walked past a restaurant that doesn't take cash.

One out of how many in Seattle? Haven't seen this happen in my hometown here in SoCal and can't imagine it will for our small local restaurants.