Ruby Oct 24 Cancelled

Tedferg

Ruby California Coastal Oct 24 has been cancelled. Princess reason to allow preparations for return to service after dry dock -------

Hard to believe they did not know this previously when they cancelled earlier Ruby California cruises !

They offer a move over to same cruise on Oct 31

Yikes! We're booked on the 10/31 cruise, and the cancellations are getting closer all the time. It would be encouraging that they offered a move over to the 10/31 if the following post hadn't said that they did a move over from 10/17 to 10/24.

Here's a thing I'm wondering about. Suites are sold out on the 10/31 sailing. Seems to me that there might be people who were booked in a suite for the canceled 10/24 sailing who would like the same type of cabin in the move over sailing. How will Princess manage that? 

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 1

Suites, Mini-Suites, Premium Balcony and OceanView  are sold out.  I wonder if they will exceed the rumored 60% to 65% limited capacity?

I also wonder if the sold cabins were so low on both itineraries that they cancelled one hoping to fill up the other one?

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I also wonder if the sold cabins were so low on both itineraries that they cancelled one hoping to fill up the other one?

My thought exactly 

I am concerned about cabin availability on the Replacement date. A local TA has a Sponsored Group of 300 people and is busy completing move overs. I asked my TA to put a courtesy hold on a cabin for us. Do you know what process Princess uses to assign new cabins ?

It would not affect us but I see comments the some cabin categories are already sold out on Replacement date.

We were booked on the 10/24 Ruby as well. It would not surprise me if Princess has blocked a lot of cabins on 10/31 until they reaccomodate people moving from 10/24. Just because it shows those categories as sold out publicly doesn't mean they're actually all assigned.

We're moving to the 10/23 Majestic Princess out of L.A. We had a Premium Balcony (category B1) on Ruby. There's no such category on Majestic so I hope we'll end up in at least a Deluxe Balcony if not a Premium Deluxe Balcony (and for that matter, there being no oceanview cabins on Majestic, I assume all those passengers moving to Majestic Princess will be moved into some sort of balcony cabin).

27 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

We were booked on the 10/24 Ruby as well. It would not surprise me if Princess has blocked a lot of cabins on 10/31 until they reaccomodate people moving from 10/24. Just because it shows those categories as sold out publicly doesn't mean they're actually all assigned.

We're moving to the 10/23 Majestic Princess out of L.A. We had a Premium Balcony (category B1) on Ruby. There's no such category on Majestic so I hope we'll end up in at least a Deluxe Balcony if not a Premium Deluxe Balcony (and for that matter, there being no oceanview cabins on Majestic, I assume all those passengers moving to Majestic Princess will be moved into some sort of balcony cabin).

Do you use a TA ? Wonder what process Princess uses to assign new cabins. I submitted the request via Princess on line form and apparently they send a new booking number to TA.

39 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Do you use a TA ? Wonder what process Princess uses to assign new cabins. I submitted the request via Princess on line form and apparently they send a new booking number to TA.

Yes, we use a TA but having already gone through this process with our original plan for a Med cruise this fall (rebooked to 10/2022), they want you submit the form yourself rather than work through your TA. New cabin was in the same category (in that case, same class of ship) but not as desirable. Once I saw the replacement in the personalizer, I called the TA to get the cabin changed (required "stealing" the cabin from a different marketing cruise as the actual cruise we were going to be on was marketed multiple ways).

In a different cancelled cruise I did not submit the on line form, I misunderstood, thinking it was just for Refunds. I called TA and had them note the replacement cruise. We were in a BD and confirmation came through with a BB - just a few cabins down from original, don't know who assigned that cabin.

14 minutes ago, pspman92 said:

where Ruby is supposed to do dry dock and when?

I don't have exact details but she went to Portland I think Swan Shipyards or something. I think late Sep or early Oct. Our Sept 18 cruise was cancelled initially

• Like 1

Just now, pspman92 said:

thank You.

Welcome here is some more info. 

•  

The Ruby is going into dry dock in Portland Oregon, Swan Island, for 17 days to upgrade the air circulation system, medallion upgrades and social distancing in restaurants and theaters

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 5:32 PM, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

We did the move over from Oct. 17 to the 24th. Now they cancelled that too.

I doubt we are moving Again.😑

Same! We opted for a refund of our deposit since we already have too much FCC on the books. 

Has anyone had experience with a Replacement cruise ? How long does it take ? How is cabin assignment handled - we will not have a problem with our class of cabin not being available since we were in BD and there are quite a few Aft Balconies available. Just wondered who assigns cabin. If Princess goes through and assigns blocks of cabins, as seems logical, then people wanting to change cabin location will be a mad house. Also were perks from cancelled cruise automatically assigned to new cruise.

We have another cancelled / replacement in process and for legitimate reasons it was mishandled. TA notified Princess and asked for Price Match. I had a phone conversation with Princess Rep and she said it looked like Price Match had been done but they were waiting for the Replacement Team to update the details.

We received an email from our TA yesterday morning that our Oct. 24 cruise was cancelled.  Then starting around 8:30 last night we received 12 in a row EXACT same emails from Princess that our cruise was cancelled.  What the heck?  Meanwhile, our TA has been trying to get us booked on the Oct. 31st cruise, haven't heard anything back yet, but I have a feeling we're using the same Sacramento travel agency that was mentioned above.  They must be overwhelmed, and the sad part is they only are paid when cruises actually sails.

We're in Pleasant Hill CA, hubby doesn't fly, so we go on cruises based out of San Francisco as it's only about a 1/2 hour drive to the pier for us.

I, too, received 13 emails from Princess telling me of the cancellation. I’m with the same TA I’m sure as  you. No word yet on the move over. I’ve lost count on the number of cruises I’ve had cancelled over the past year plus.

1 hour ago, grak said:

I, too, received 13 emails from Princess telling me of the cancellation. I’m with the same TA I’m sure as  you. No word yet on the move over. I’ve lost count on the number of cruises I’ve had cancelled over the past year plus.

I'm sure I speak for many others here when I say that I hope you'll keep us posted on how your move over goes. 😀

• Like 1

We are NOT with that TA but  friend  is. They received new booking number and interestingly for a mini suite while site says Sold Out for mini suite. She said the price had increased but I assume TA has rebooked them in anticipation of Princess doing price match. Apparently that TA had 300 people on Oct 24 cruise. 

BTW we thought to cancel our Oct 24 and book 31 with that TA, but it was $400 more to do that. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:55 AM, lstone19 said:

. . . . (and for that matter, there being no oceanview cabins on Majestic, I assume all those passengers moving to Majestic Princess will be moved into some sort of balcony cabin).

---

Yes, this should be the case: 

• I was booked on the cancelled 7/1/2021 Ruby Princess 4-night in an obstructed OY-Oceanview cabin [E632, really not obstructed];
  • My replacement is a Majestic Princess 7-night in November, and initially I was given a specific obstructed BW-Balcony cabin [definitely obstructed, aft, regular Royal-Class-small balcony].
    ---
  • After getting the replacement, I requested a specific regular BE-Balcony cabin I liked (non obstructed), and was told that only regular non-obstructed oceanview cabins could be moved to regular non-obstructed balcony cabins. 
  • Instead, the Princess rep was able to move me to a BW-Balcony cabin I actually like [really not obstructed, midship, extended angled balcony].

---

Is this group mentioned above a real group or just something the TA put together? I ask because our booking for the cancelled 10/24 shows as being part of a group - apparently put together by the TA consortium my TA belongs to. But I don't consider it to be a real group and we knew nothing about anyone else booked under this group (but it did get us additional OBC). When I finally got the cancellation email from Princess (only received two, not a dozen or so), rather than directing me to the online form, it just told me to contact my TA (when an earlier cruise was cancelled that was not part of a group, that cancellation email directly me to the online form). But we had already submitted the online form and it gave us the option of what cruise to change to.  I guess I'm a little concerned that Princess will expect the entire group to change to the same cruise or won't honor all promotions if we change to a different cruise than the group officially changes to.

I think it is not a GROUP per se.The people from Sacto TA is all of their bookings. Just like you, my TA is a small operation, people wise, but is part of a larger booking entity that I don’t understand. We do get some OBC as a Group. I am sure individual choices of what to do next apply. 

Edited by Tedferg