Caribbean Princess Drydock?

ceilidh1

3 minutes ago, mph045 said:

We were scheduled April 16 for two weeks.  Received notice last Thursday ship is in drydock and Caribbean Princes cruises are canceled.

We lost our window suite and most of future cabins with Caribbean are already filled.

We elected to take the FCC plus 10% to rebook in the future

We also submitted claims for lost hotel room where fees were not reimbursed

We thought about doing the same but for a couple of things.  First, ours is a family cruise involving 3 mini-suites and a variety of work and school schedules.  Juggling can be a nightmare.  Second,  this is the 5th attempt at this trip.  We were told that since FCC has been used to book it that we couldn't take the FCC+10% option.  I forget what they said about a refund but there was some problem there as well.

Worked out, though, in that our PVC was able to reconfigure us to a pre drydock cruise that is not quite the same but requires little or no change for us.

5 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Can't blame this on Covid.  Getting tired of all of these cancellations.  Cancelled our cruise on the Caribbean Princess and am booking on Celebrity. 

Yes you can.  COVID screwed up a lot of dry docks, crew staffing, etc.  Don't kid yourself - X has been canceling as well,  We have 5 cruises booked in the next 2 years.  3 with Princess and 2 with X.  Heaven only knows which will go and which won't.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Can't blame this on Covid.  Getting tired of all of these cancellations. 

Princess is taking a big revenue hit on this drydock, having to cancel about a month's extra worth of cruises just for getting the ship from east coast to west coast and back again.

1 minute ago, caribill said:

Princess is taking a big revenue hit on this drydock, having to cancel about a month's extra worth of cruises just for getting the ship from east coast to west coast and back again.

Do we yet know the reason/reasons for the drydock?

Surely this can't be routine maintenance, can it? 

• Thanks 1

It would appear that my source was, indeed, 100% accurate. The repositioning for Caribbean Princess from San Fran to Vancouver on April 3rd is now listed for sale on the Princess site. As of now, this will be the first ship back into Vancouver (could change since schedules are still being confirmed for all lines) and the first time Caribbean has been to this port!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

It would appear that my source was, indeed, 100% accurate. The repositioning for Caribbean Princess from San Fran to Vancouver on April 3rd is now listed for sale on the Princess site. As of now, this will be the first ship back into Vancouver (could change since schedules are still being confirmed for all lines) and the first time Caribbean has been to this port!

There are also full transit Panama canal  cruises listed as well,  FLL to SF March 19-April 3, and SF to FLL April 26-May 14.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, donswife said:

There are also full transit Panama canal  cruises listed as well,  FLL to SF March 19-April 3, and SF to FLL April 26-May 14.

I'm tempted by the March sailing of Panama Canal - it is also listed as a FL to Van, which would be ideal for us....

40 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm tempted by the March sailing of Panama Canal - it is also listed as a FL to Van, which would be ideal for us....

That's out of my budget, both time and cost, especially because DH only wants a window suite or better! Sounds fun though! I am interested in the 4 day segment SF to Vancouver.  I have been wanting to cross the Columbia River bar, and we don't dare try it in our 16' open bow fishing boat! 😅

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, Bgwest said:

Do we yet know the reason/reasons for the drydock?

Surely this can't be routine maintenance, can it? 

As I have an August cruise booked with her, I also would like to know if any interior updating is being planned.

15 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

What does your source advise to be the reason for this drydock?

On 8/15/2021 at 8:35 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Is your source able to get an updated drydock schedule?  They still haven't said anything yet about a change in schedule for the Diamond Princess and are actively selling cruises that clearly won't happen.  Just curious if the Diamond is still supposed to be in Singapore on January 22 for drydock when she is supposed to be in South America!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 12:20 PM, Bgwest said:

What does your source advise to be the reason for this drydock?

They don't have that info - just when/where ship will go for drydock...

5 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Is your source able to get an updated drydock schedule?  They still haven't said anything yet about a change in schedule for the Diamond Princess and are actively selling cruises that clearly won't happen.  Just curious if the Diamond is still supposed to be in Singapore on January 22 for drydock when she is supposed to be in South America!

They will let me know if there are any updates/changes. Currently, the most recent drydock/wetdock schedule is the one I posted (updated just under a month ago). I'm also hoping it changes as I'm booked on Crown Princess during it's (currently) scheduled drydock....lol

• Like 2

We were on the Caribbean Princess in August 2019. The ship looked beautiful then. There was nice carpeting throughout and our cabin had new pretty  carpeting. Looked like the ship had been redone then.We have cruised at least  5 times on the ship prior to that in years past and to us it felt totally new.

4 hours ago, san diego sue said:

We were on the Caribbean Princess in August 2019. The ship looked beautiful then. There was nice carpeting throughout and our cabin had new pretty  carpeting. Looked like the ship had been redone then.We have cruised at least  5 times on the ship prior to that in years past and to us it felt totally new.

Exactly why I’m wondering about the reason for the dry dock. 

22 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

They will let me know if there are any updates/changes. Currently, the most recent drydock/wetdock schedule is the one I posted (updated just under a month ago). I'm also hoping it changes as I'm booked on Crown Princess during it's (currently) scheduled drydock....lol

I called Princess for another reason today and decided to ask if the Diamond was still on the drydock schedule.  And it is.  Sounds like we are both awaiting news of potentially another cancellation - unless they swap ships.

11 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I called Princess for another reason today and decided to ask if the Diamond was still on the drydock schedule.  And it is.  Sounds like we are both awaiting news of potentially another cancellation - unless they swap ships.

I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst...I've lost track of how many cancellations I have under my belt right now. On the "hopeful" side, my Crown sailing is a few days before the drydock is meant to end so IF they are done early then it might still be a go? Nice, shiny, new ship smell? On the negative side, I sailed a ship right out of drydock before and they were still working on stuff during our sailing....and it wasn't pleasant! Lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Maybe it's more mechanical than guest facing? Like an oil change or something...lol. No idea. 

12 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Maybe it's more mechanical than guest facing? Like an oil change or something...lol. No idea. 

Agreed.  We do, or should do, regular maintenance on our vehicles.  Ships are no different in that.  COVID just messed with everyone's schedule.

11 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Agreed.  We do, or should do, regular maintenance on our vehicles.  Ships are no different in that.  COVID just messed with everyone's schedule.

I heard rumor, just rumors, that they are having problems with the engines.

Wonder why they didn't put it in dry-dock in the Caribbean, I believe that they have done this in the past. 

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

I heard rumor, just rumors, that they are having problems with the engines.

Wonder why they didn't put it in dry-dock in the Caribbean, I believe that they have done this in the past. 

You’re spreading unfounded rumors? Good God, man!

Post a link to support your statement. 

• Like 2