LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

Dear Brentt:  You've shown so much courage to be sailing again with your children onboard the Neuiw Amsterdam.  This news has to hit more deeply than most.

Sending you, the ship, the crew, and the grieving families our prayers for strength.  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

I just saw an update online that states there were no survivors 😞

Truly terrible and heartbreaking.

So tragic, thinking of everyone onboard, and the friends and families of the pilots and N.A. passengers who died in the crash. 

Just saw the news, and I've been following your cruise, so I rushed here to see if you and your kids were ok.  I know we don't know each other, but I'm so glad you are all ok, and so sad about the fellow passengers lost.  😞

• Like 7

VERY sorry for the victims. I am wondering why they continue to sell this particular excursion when the track record is not good. This is not the first crash. I assume people have to sign a waiver but still maybe just give this a miss.

So, I really didn't do much on the ship last night.  Went to the 7pm performance of Musicology by the dance group.  Overall it was ok, but I did not find it must see and thought the choreography on most parts was some what lacking. I definitely would not see that one again.

As, for today the only firm plans I have is to visit the thermal suite one last time at some point.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Brett:   Did the Chaplain have a prayer service for the victims and their loved ones?

I did not hear anything about one, but I really did not get out and about.

The captain did mention they had trained counselors that anyone could speak with if they believed it would help them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, nanlaur said:

FYI, on another blog for this cruise: "He works for ATT and filled us in: our T-Mobile, which has provided us service all over the world, wasn’t going to do squat for us in Alaska.  ATT has a monopoly there."

Unless something changed from July 2019, TM worked fine for us up and down Alaska. Could be a roaming agreement but it was no problem for phone and cell data in towns.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, liam1965 said:

No word, but it’s probably a black box signal.  I’m still hoping for survivors, but I would estimate that it’s a low chance.

Will,

saw the news and thought of you guys right away.  Tragic but glad to see you posting.  (Beth & Pam-Serenity).  Travel safe.

• Like 1

@Brentt_M Thank you for sharing your family's adventure with all of us. It has been fun following each post as the days have unfolded. We hope you and your lovely children have found many things to enjoy and those are what you will dwell on despite the sad ending to your trip. We wish you safe travels home and much love and many good times in your futures.

Lori & George

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

VERY sorry for the victims. I am wondering why they continue to sell this particular excursion when the track record is not good. This is not the first crash. I assume people have to sign a waiver but still maybe just give this a miss.

people involved booked this independently so was not through HAL.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Have a safe trip back home tomorrow.

My wishes for your family as well.  Your family knows that unexpected and unfortunate events occur.  It's a tragedy for those involved in this accident.  It was a tragedy for your family when God chose to take your wife and their Mother home.  Let this event cloud what seems to be an enjoyable Alaskan cruise.