CBC Summation of Travel Abroad with Canadian Vaccines - July 30

Robjame

Thank you for posting that.

Most of that information has been discussed on here already but glad to see it in the media so that others become aware of this issue.

I am annoyed at the comment about "this is not the time to travel.." 

If I was going to be entitled and bratty I'd ask when is a good time to travel?

Covid isn't going away,

We are vaccinated.

The U.S. may never increase their vaccination numbers.

And then of course there is the comparision between travel and other activities that are currently avaliable to us now.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

‘Yes - how will we ever know when that time arrives - as Canadians we have to make our travel plans and flight arrangements so far in advance that it is impossible to predict. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, K_e_short said:

"I am annoyed at the comment about "this is not the time to travel.." 
"when is a good time to travel?"

August 9th, when American tourists begin visiting Canada.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Thank you for posting that.

Most of that information has been discussed on here already but glad to see it in the media so that others become aware of this issue.

Why am I not surprized that on a bb dedicated to travel someone would be annoyed by that statement?

I bet that statement was a huge hit on HodophobiaCritic  and HomebodyCritic. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Why am I not surprized that on a bb dedicated to travel someone would be annoyed by that statement?

Well I am annoyed too. While most of the world has country-wide policies and plans for opening up,  we are keeping our citizens under control, denying any advantages for the vaccinated while at the same time letting in people from other parts of the globe. Of course, we all know why that is - just can’t say it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

Well I am annoyed too. While most of the world has country-wide policies and plans for opening up,  we are keeping our citizens under control, denying any advantages for the vaccinated while at the same time letting in people from other parts of the globe. Of course, we all know why that is - just can’t say it.

Just look to the situation our southern neighbours currently find themselves in to understand the wisdom in moving slowly and cautiously. 

But I have to admit to some confusion. Taking government to task for not opening up and for allowing people to enter the country. Strikes me as contradictory positions.

• Like 1

I am very happy with the current restriction that exist.

Just this morning on the news Ontario is saying that masks will still be required. even past Stage 3.

What is happening in the U.S. is scary.

My argument is based on the decisions made around vaccinations. We were told vaccinations were the 'ticket out of the pandemic."

But now those that are vaccinated don't really have a lot more freedom then those that are not vaccinated.

We have not been rewarded for making the right decision.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

We have not been rewarded for making the right decision.

Exactly - the vaccinated are expected to accept responsibility for the unvaccinated.

Once you are fully vaccinated, you have to move past worrying about COVID Cases. Deaths of fully vaccinated is the important metric as most COVID cases of fully vaccinated are asymptomatic or about as serious as nasal congestion. Reminds me of the teacher who kept the whole class in cause one person talked.
i am sorry but Darwin will look after the unvaccinated. Getting any country above 70% fully vaccinated is nearly impossible.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Exactly - the vaccinated are expected to accept responsibility for the unvaccinated.

Once you are fully vaccinated, you have to move past worrying about COVID Cases. Deaths of fully vaccinated is the important metric as most COVID cases of fully vaccinated are asymptomatic or about as serious as nasal congestion. Reminds me of the teacher who kept the whole class in cause one person talked.
i am sorry but Darwin will look after the unvaccinated. Getting any country above 70% fully vaccinated is nearly impossible.

There is an old saying that goes something like Watch out what you wish for because you might just get it. Sure, Darwin could take care of the unvaccinated this time but would you what Darwin in charge of the response to the next pandemic if you are in the 70 and 80 year old demographic at that time?  "Let Darwin look after it" can be a slippery slope! 

18 hours ago, john2003 said:

I think the most important thing globally is that the more cases = more likelihood of new variants. What, no one can have a clue. On this front we are all failing miserably.

I don't know about that. New vaccines were developed in record time. Over 4 billion doses have been administered since the vaccines' introduction. It about 50 years to develop a polio vaccine and decades to eradicate polio. Smallpox was around for more than a millennium. If fact, George Washington's army in Quebec in the revolutionary war developed smallpox. The WHO started the effort to eradicate polio worldwide in 1959 but it took until 1980 for polio to be finally eradicated. 

So at least some people have passed this Covid test with A++ marks. The class average might be an F so far, but we are not all failing miserably. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Robjame said:

I disagree.  The unvaccinated includes children under 12.  

You don't think we should try and protect them?

• Like 2