Anyone Sailing On The Meraviglia Today?

KennyFla

3 hours ago, slickpat said:

The menu selections are more appealing than what I have read being offered on Nieuw Amsterdam's first sailings.  

Noticed in the liquor choices that a Green Creme de Menthe is still not available.  What is the reason for this omission from the list, I wonder?  

3 hours ago, slickpat said:

The menu selections are more appealing than what I have read being offered on Nieuw Amsterdam's first sailings.  

Noticed in the liquor choices that a Green Creme de Menthe is still not available.  What is the reason for this omission from the list, I wonder?  

I am on a three-night cruise on Meraviglia at the end of the month.  I started packing already (😄) and realized that I had read somewhere in my Cruise Ticket packet about a "formal night".  Since I am only familiar with NCL's "dress up or not" nights, I was wondering if I could get away with a pair of dress slacks and a polo for MSC's formal night.  I am trying to keep my luggage down to an overnighter bag and a backpack and really don't want to have to wear a dress shirt/tie/jacket in the Caribbean in August.

Any information for this MSC newbie would be appreciated! 

30 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I am on a three-night cruise on Meraviglia at the end of the month.  I started packing already (😄) and realized that I had read somewhere in my Cruise Ticket packet about a "formal night".  Since I am only familiar with NCL's "dress up or not" nights, I was wondering if I could get away with a pair of dress slacks and a polo for MSC's formal night.  I am trying to keep my luggage down to an overnighter bag and a backpack and really don't want to have to wear a dress shirt/tie/jacket in the Caribbean in August.

Optional formal night so they can sell photos.

I just wear pants and a polo.

Steve

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

If your experience on the Meraviglia is anything like ours was, you'll be way underdressed: we saw people mostly in suits and long dresses, with the occasional tux. That being said, I doubt you'll be turned away anywhere. Dress however you like, but just know that most people will be in formal attire. Enjoy your cruise, we thoroughly enjoyed ours. (And FWIW I always pack a tux or white dinner jacket because I rarely get to wear them otherwise-for me, going on a cruise is about getting spiffed up at dinner). Let me know if Oksana is still working the Champagne bar. I spent many evenings there pre-dinner. *hiccup* 🍾

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ocdb8r said:

Dinner Day 2 - Vegetarian Starter: Cream of Chicken Soup.

🤪

Right because there's no meat IN it, just chicken flavor. I have shocking news for you: most of the world is not as obsessed with vegetarianism as we are. I have laughed myself silly many times when on vacation with vegetarians in Europe and in South America who are offended that they're not catered to as people are in North America and the UK. My wife is vegetarian and it's sometimes difficult in certain countries to find things that are truly vegetarian. Obviously, cream of chicken soup doesn't sound vegetarian, but it's possible they use a fake chicken flavoring. My favorite is in Brazil where beans are considered vegetarian even if cooked with ham! LOL

(I'm a confirmed carnivore, BTW-the more meat, the better, as God intended!) 😉😁🤣🐄🐔🐖

45 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

If your experience on the Meraviglia is anything like ours was, you'll be way underdressed: we saw people mostly in suits and long dresses, with the occasional tux. That being said, I doubt you'll be turned away anywhere. Dress however you like, but just know that most people will be in formal attire. 

I have been on Meragvila twice and most people were not in formal attire.  I assume time of year, length of cruise, ect. makes a difference.

Steve

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I have been on Meragvila twice and most people were not in formal attire.  I assume time of year, length of cruise, ect. makes a difference.

Steve

Probably so. We were on Meraviglia in December 2019 for 7 days and there was a heavy concentration of Europeans onboard. Same with Seaside in October 2018 and all of our European cruises. They just tend to dress up more than some Americans/Canadians do. I don't know @GA Dave personally so don't know what he's used to. Many people seem to view cruising as a way to be casual while others (like me) want to, as the British say, "get their glad rags on." 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Probably so. We were on Meraviglia in December 2019 for 7 days and there was a heavy concentration of Europeans onboard. Same with Seaside in October 2018 and all of our European cruises. They just tend to dress up more than some Americans/Canadians do. I don't know @GA Dave personally so don't know what he's used to. Many people seem to view cruising as a way to be casual while others (like me) want to, as the British say, "get their glad rags on." 😃

I am a widower quickly approaching retirement after 39 years wearing business clothes.  The last thing in the world I want to do on a vacation in August in a tropical climate is "get my glad rags on".  🤣

As long as they won't kick me off the ship, it'll be dockers and a polo for my on formal night!

• Like 5

More power to you! In contrast to you, I work from home most of the time and am currently wearing a t-shirt and jeans. When I go on a cruise, I like to dress in nice clothes for dinner. It's all about what works for you vs what works for others. Nothing says we all have to be the same, that'd be boring. 😃

• Like 1

Hi,

I will be going on a b2b in October.  Does anyone know if we will have to get completely off the ship, get tested again and can we leave our luggage in the cabin as we will have the same cabin for both cruises?  I appreciate any info.

Thank you

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

You absolutely can. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

As long as they won't kick me off the ship, it'll be dockers and a polo for my on formal night!

On a 3 night cruise, with the middle night be a port day, particularly if that port is Ocean Cay (as I think it is), Formal Night has to be that evening.  You will be among most attired as you plan.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fdcruisers said:

Hi,

I will be going on a b2b in October.  Does anyone know if we will have to get completely off the ship, get tested again and can we leave our luggage in the cabin as we will have the same cabin for both cruises?  I appreciate any info.

Thank you

Do you have 1 booking number or 2?  

Luggage will be fine.

Steve

1 hour ago, fdcruisers said:

I will be going on a b2b in October.  Does anyone know if we will have to get completely off the ship, get tested again and can we leave our luggage in the cabin as we will have the same cabin for both cruises?

US immigration will at some point make you physically get off the ship.  I've had everything from a full one-on-one meeting with an agent to just walking past an agent with our passport open to walking onto a terminal platform and being counted then walking back on the ship.  If you have the same stateroom leave all your stuff in there and only bring your passport, if you're worried it might take a while you can bring some items with you.  For those changing cabins you just want to bring your valuables and MSC will move your suitcases.

MSC will need to do the CDC's embarkation antigen test, no reports yet on where that will take place.  MSC usually has all B2B passengers meet in a lounge on the ship so hopefully they will just do it there and not make you go ashore for the test.  The only thing that hasn't been addressed is the MSC required PCR test 72 hours before boarding for those not fully vaccinated.  I have no idea how that is gong to be handled but since it's not a CDC requirement I suspect MSC will waive it for B2B.

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Count me among the spiffed.

Every evening of a cruise, I'm in either a tux or a dinner jacket at 6 PM.

For January on Divina, I'm considering my options for something "extra" on the actual formal night. Not white tie, though. That would be too much.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Até said:

US immigration will at some point make you physically get off the ship.  I've had everything from a full one-on-one meeting with an agent to just walking past an agent with our passport open to walking onto a terminal platform and being counted then walking back on the ship.  If you have the same stateroom leave all your stuff in there and only bring your passport, if you're worried it might take a while you can bring some items with you.  For those changing cabins you just want to bring your valuables and MSC will move your suitcases.

MSC will need to do the CDC's embarkation antigen test, no reports yet on where that will take place.  MSC usually has all B2B passengers meet in a lounge on the ship so hopefully they will just do it there and not make you go ashore for the test.  The only thing that hasn't been addressed is the MSC required PCR test 72 hours before boarding for those not fully vaccinated.  I have no idea how that is gong to be handled but since it's not a CDC requirement I suspect MSC will waive it for B2B.

Thank you for your response.  Hopefully it will be an easier process then when initially getting on the ship the first time.  Either way I will be patient as these are not easy times.  

On 8/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, SeaHunt said:

La Lida Loca on youtube has lots of info (best to watch on youtube directly so you can start from beginning plus see chat):

Those popular Vloggers are incentivized by the cruise lines to vlog these higher profile cruises, free upgraded cabin, obc, free cruise fares sometimes, etc, you typically won’t know it, so getting honest objective feedback like we do here isn’t going to happen with them when they get freebies. I’d say good for ship tours and such but i wouldn’t take a lot of stock or trust in any reviews or subjective feedback like we give here. 

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, no1talks said:

Count me among the spiffed.

Every evening of a cruise, I'm in either a tux or a dinner jacket at 6 PM.

For January on Divina, I'm considering my options for something "extra" on the actual formal night. Not white tie, though. That would be too much.  

I am also one who enjoys dressing formally for Formal Evenings.  On such  a short cruise as the OP is hoping to sail, I don't think I would pack my formal wear, however.  

Your comment about "something extra" intrigues me.  Will you share what you may be considering?  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am also one who enjoys dressing formally for Formal Evenings.  On such  a short cruise as the OP is hoping to sail, I don't think I would pack my formal wear, however.  

Your comment about "something extra" intrigues me.  Will you share what you may be considering?  

I'm thinking a mandarin collar might be fun. Undecided about the vest/tie/shoe color, though. Since there is no place for a pocket square or boutonnière, to accessorize, I would probably put my
pocket watch in the vest and add a tie ring to the ascot.

jean-yves-used-mirage-mandarin-collar-tuxedo-coat-only-508.thumb.jpg.d07c5aca385eba7fee4f07cb64cabe88.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am booked on this ship in September, my first with MSC.  I have a few questions, please, and any other tips or suggestions for an MSC newbie would be greatly appreciated.  

1.  Are there ample electrical outlets in the cabins?  110 or 220?

2.  Are small, desk-top fans allowed?

3.  Are there guest laundry facilities?

4.  I typically take plenty of single dollars, fives and tens to tip for room service and my favorite bartender(s).  Of course, I pay the standard gratuities as well and add extra when deserved.

5.  Tipping in the specialty restaurants has often been controversial on other cruise lines. Some believe the extra charge includes the gratuity for the waiter, but I always tip the waiter in cash in addition to the extra charge.  What is the situation on MSC?

Thanks so much in advance for your responses!