Caribbean Ports Testing Requirements - How many and what cost?

Megabear2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

With balances paid and some very, very imminent October is very late to make an announcement to passengers. I'm sure P&O have been discussing things behind the scene for ages and must be aware that the passengers want clarity on the logistics and cost of testing.  If, for instance, P&O are going down the Marella route of one provider, discounted prices for tests, they could offer some comfort to those paying large sums for their cruises that they are trying to organise this.  If, however, they are going to leave passengers to their own devices to organise the necessary tests and documentation they should say so as many will be unhappy/unable to do this with confidence and may be very anxious. With the dismal situation with contacting P&O by telephone passengers will inevitably become extremely stressed.

The duty of care regarding any tests will inevitably weigh heavy on many without P&Os help.

Is there further testing that I’m not aware of, I just thought they did them before you boarded

Every country on the Caribbean itineraries have their own testing requirements for entry to be permitted (can be checked on each nation's Government website).  Some require PCR testing in certain timeframes.  The test before boarding has been confirmed by P&O as complimentary in Barbados before boarding, however a test would be required before boarding the flight as well and under current UK regulations a test before flying home and a minimum day 2 test are required.  These tests will presumably be at the traveler's expense, although P&O have yet to confirm this. There was mention by Molecrochip this information may be released in October.

If the tests are to be at the traveler's expense the cost could on present requirements run into several hundred pounds per person.  P&O's policy on testing is awaited as a result. There has been quite a lot of discussion on various companies boards about these policies. Marella appear to be subsidising the tests for their passengers with European itineraries currently quoted as between £30 to £90 per person but to date nothing mentioned for the Caribbean itineraries they gave scheduled.

This is one of the hundred and one questions that answers are awaited on! Nobody knows at present and it is not known what the cruise lines have planned.  If you have a balance due you are literally taking a leap in the dark on a wing and a prayer as to what you have actually sighed up for.

35 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Every country on the Caribbean itineraries have their own testing requirements for entry to be permitted (can be checked on each nation's Government website).  Some require PCR testing in certain timeframes.  The test before boarding has been confirmed by P&O as complimentary in Barbados before boarding, however a test would be required before boarding the flight as well and under current UK regulations a test before flying home and a minimum day 2 test are required.  These tests will presumably be at the traveler's expense, although P&O have yet to confirm this. There was mention by Molecrochip this information may be released in October.

If the tests are to be at the traveler's expense the cost could on present requirements run into several hundred pounds per person.  P&O's policy on testing is awaited as a result. There has been quite a lot of discussion on various companies boards about these policies. Marella appear to be subsidising the tests for their passengers with European itineraries currently quoted as between £30 to £90 per person but to date nothing mentioned for the Caribbean itineraries they gave scheduled.

You had me worried when you quoted up to seven hundred pounds, I did a quick check online price averages is £80

• Like 1

Where did you find that information please?  I have been trying to get costings from P&O and Cunard for nearly 3 months and they cannot provide them yet.  If you check the entry requirements for each island every one requires a PCR test.

I used 1 January departure as my test guinea pig - I cancelled a November P&O cruise  as the information was not anywhere near available. I do however have a 14 January Cunard cruise still booked.

Some islands quote US$150 for their required test.  The tests for the PCR going out to Barbados and the return and day 2 PCR test are priced between £75 and £130.  What is not known or available is how the cruise lines are going to handle the tests required by the individual countries to enter.  This is the grey area where the testing costs could easily rack up into the hundreds of pounds if no special "bubble" arrangements are in place.  It is doubtful P&O would meet the costs of 2,000 odd people per sailing - quite simply it would be economically impossible. This internal testing requirement is what is of interest not the UK departure/entry requirements which are easily costed.

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Where did you find that information please?  I have been trying to get costings from P&O and Cunard for nearly 3 months and they cannot provide them yet.  If you check the entry requirements for each island every one requires a PCR test.

I used 1 January departure as my test guinea pig - I cancelled a November P&O cruise  as the information was not anywhere near available. I do however have a 14 January Cunard cruise still booked.

Some islands quote US$150 for their required test.  The tests for the PCR going out to Barbados and the return and day 2 PCR test are priced between £75 and £130.  What is not known or available is how the cruise lines are going to handle the tests required by the individual countries to enter.  This is the grey area where the testing costs could easily rack up into the hundreds of pounds if no special "bubble" arrangements are in place.  It is doubtful P&O would meet the costs of 2,000 odd people per sailing - quite simply it would be economically impossible. This internal testing requirement is what is of interest not the UK departure/entry requirements which are easily costed.

As of yet no information as been released as far as I know, as for individual islands requiring test before you get off the ship again I have not read that and they don’t seam to be requiring that from the American cruise lines 

P&O are working with each of the destinations they visit to ensure relevant rules are met.

Take Barbados, I'm expecting LFT within 72 hours of flight, LFT test at port. On returning, LFT on board with 48 hours of return flight. You then take PCR test within 2 days of arriving home.

I'm expecting the usual travel bubble from Barbados airport to the port and return to be in force.

27 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

P&O are working with each of the destinations they visit to ensure relevant rules are met.

Take Barbados, I'm expecting LFT within 72 hours of flight, LFT test at port. On returning, LFT on board with 48 hours of return flight. You then take PCR test within 2 days of arriving home.

I'm expecting the usual travel bubble from Barbados airport to the port and return to be in force.

Thank you for this information.  Assumedly there may well be testing required at each island then.  I'm alarmed there has been no indication of how much per person needs to be budgeted for these tests. Perhaps P&O could produce a cruise by cruise itinerary costing and post it on the website? I have seen something similar on Marella's website, admittedly for European destinations only, but it does give the passenger an idea of what costs they are facing. Many with Caribbean bookings are very nervous about these potential costs.

53 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I wonder what would happen if you tested positive at the port, after flying into Barbados.

If the port of entry requires a PCR test in the  5 days or 72 hours before depending which island visiting - how is this going to be done ? AFAIK PCRs are done in a lab - the ship won’t be able to do them.  So how will that be resolved I wonder. 

53 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

If the port of entry requires a PCR test in the  5 days or 72 hours before depending which island visiting - how is this going to be done ? AFAIK PCRs are done in a lab - the ship won’t be able to do them.  So how will that be resolved I wonder. 

I understand that if passengers fail the LFT test, they will be given a rapid PCR test undertaken by prenetics, so a rapid test must exist.  P&O have also said that prenetics will handle the onboard testing needed for the passenger locator form to get back into the UK.  So presumably they will also handle any PCR testing that may be needed at Caribbean ports.

Edited by terrierjohn

We are due to go on Jan 1st with Balance to pay on Oct 3rd. Just had our flight allocated which makes it all a bit more real - just not sure what to do now with all the uncertainty about potential testing costs and still not sure if we will be allowed off on our own. We have 4 more cruises booked so have no slots to move to unless the Summer 2023 programme is announced before Oct 3rd.

1 hour ago, bee-ess said:

We are due to go on Jan 1st with Balance to pay on Oct 3rd. Just had our flight allocated which makes it all a bit more real - just not sure what to do now with all the uncertainty about potential testing costs and still not sure if we will be allowed off on our own. We have 4 more cruises booked so have no slots to move to unless the Summer 2023 programme is announced before Oct 3rd.

It must be very worrying  !   😄😄

2 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Usually the 2023 brochure would be out next week, however things aint what they used to be. I am hoping Moley will give us a clue if and when the brochure is due. We were in the same predicament with a 35 night Caribbean cruise scheduled for Jan 3rd and payment due this week. We decided to take advantage of the flexible transfer and move to March 2023. We would be happy to take that cruise to the Canaries but may move it if there is anything we like the look of in the new brochure. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Usually the 2023 brochure would be out next week, however things aint what they used to be. I am hoping Moley will give us a clue if and when the brochure is due. We were in the same predicament with a 35 night Caribbean cruise scheduled for Jan 3rd and payment due this week. We decided to take advantage of the flexible transfer and move to March 2023. We would be happy to take that cruise to the Canaries but may move it if there is anything we like the look of in the new brochure. 

I am thinking it would only be summer 23 out soon, is that correct?

• Like 1

Does anyone know if you have to pay for test before flying back from Barbados I read that like st kitts and other islands there is a $150 charge!!  Any help appreciated as we are due to sail on Transatlantic this year and flying back from Barbados to UK hopefully the day 2 should be obsolete by then.

35 minutes ago, gandalf1 said:

Latest link if arriving by sea from Barbados Web page. Just about to read it.

https://issuu.com/visitbarbados/docs/bpi_covid-19_port_protocols/2

Just read above and I really don't know how p&o are going to deal with disembarking in Barbados and worst still for those flying in having to use sterile corridors from airport to port!!! unless things change I can't see this cruise going forward, way too many restrictions from the authorities and nothing as relaxed as the Mediterranean destinations.

This has been the case for months. P&O are assumedly working with Bajan authorities on how this will be handled. I assume the normal off the plane on to the bus with luggage going to the ship direct would act as the travel corridor.  The cost of the tests is, and always has been, the million dollar question.  A month or so ago I took 1 January itinerary as my example and worked out roughly how many tests would be required on that cruise.  I came up with a minimum of 4 tests. Nearly every island quoted US$150 for the test so based on this and UK testing requirements at that time I roughly estimated costs at around £500-£600pp. The latter will hopefully change but some islands also charge for the locator forms.

P&O are supposed to be issuing their protocols for Caribbean itineraries very soon - Moley indicated early October.  In light of P&O organising onboard testing for the European itineraries perhaps they are organising something with the local governments where these types of test will be accepted.  My main concern at present is that nowhere in any protocol or email to passengers/travel agents have P&O stated how much they will be charging for these onboard tests.  This is a worrying omission on their part.  Their failure to offer comfort on this issue is either cynical (we've got your money, live with it!) or thoughtless that people might actually not have this spare cash available and are worried.  Many booked these cruises years ago or agreed to rebook when their original cruise was cancelled.  At no time were these expensive and confusing tests and rules on their radar, they were simply booking a holiday.  Now in many cases balances of considerable amounts are either paid or due imminently and still no definite ruling/information from P&O has been forthcoming.  I have every sympathy with P&O as they run the gauntlet of many Governments and their individual requirements. What I do not like is their reluctance to accept individuals are becoming incredibly stressed and frustrated, after all the first crossing to Barbados is supposedly only weeks away now.

Megabear

Thank you very much for your helpful🙂 post which helps all concerned that are due to travel to Caribbean.

Back to your query  the info I found was just for Barbados on the link provided before. 

I have found another link see below.

This one is in a slide format so unable to copy wording however go to slide 17 and it clearly gives you the info regarding the $150 before departure.

https://e.issuu.com/embed.html?backgroundColor=%23050e44&d=btmi_travel_protocols_final&u=visitbarbados&pageLayout=singlePage&

The extra costs are going to be colossal and even more so if P &O protocol and policies decide that only passengers taking P & O shore excursions are allowed off the ship and also I am not sure if those taking their excursion also have to pay for a test on top of the cost of the excursion, if this the case even the cost of going to the med will bump the price up no wonder their selling them so cheap.

Just trying to call P & O and waited 30 minutes then they answer and cut you off before you can speak to them.  

Edited by gandalf1

1 hour ago, tring said:

P&O have published their test prices at least 2 or 3 days ago - you have seen mention of them elsewhere and also commented there.  Someone reported having those prices and I subsequently found them on P&O's website when I went to check that.  So you need to search the P&O website yourself and you then do not get to just believe other people which you seem loathe to do.  I did not have much trouble finding it.

I assume you are referring to the section on P&O website for up to 31 December 2021 which was posted there as at 10th September.  I am aware of that, however the post regarding Barbados entry/departure requirements by cruise ship as posted overnight would presumably require P&O to have entered into specific agreements for these tests on board by Prenetics to be accepted by the various governments.  I understand from posts by more knowledgeable people than me these Caribbean itineraries are still being discussed with the relevant authorities.  I am not disbelieving anyone as you suggest merely waiting to hear if the protocols for entry to these destinations will have the same costings. The Bajan government website is quite clear on their US$150 departure requirements for cruisers. 

For Gandalf : This iis the info Tring refers to:

For all cruises departing from 25 September to 31 December, we also organise testing which will be required to disembark the ship in Southampton, per UK government requirements, and testing that may also be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board, at a cost of £18 per antigen test per person and £25 per PCR test per person. Currently, the majority of ports we visit this year do not require entry testing. However all guests disembarking in the UK are currently required to take a re-entry antigen test. All requirements are subject to change. During your holiday, destinations on your itinerary may have various documentation requirements. You are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination but we will be happy to guide you through all testing and documentation needs on board. P&O Cruises cannot accept responsibility if you are denied entry to a country because you do not meet its entry requirements.

• Like 1