Aug 7th W-E-W Caribbean Edge Cruise - B3B

Ken the cruiser

Ken,

Thanks so much for all your posts and pictures over the past three weeks.  And a big thank you for answering all the questions (mine included) that you got.  Enjoy your day in Nassau and your last night onboard the spectacular Edge.  Wishing you and your wife safe travels home.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! I’m glad you were able to tag along! We definitely have had fun cruising again on this wonderful ship and to be honest, we’re glad we did it now rather than waiting until our Nov cruise on the Apex. We wish we could always sail on ships that were around 40% of capacity, but we know one day they will ramp back up once the pandemic is in everyone’s rearview mirror. But it definitely has created some memories we will not soon forget, to include some we haven’t mentioned.

Like wondering why an older couple was allowed to have a pair of Yorkshire Terrier “service dogs” onboard the last 2 legs that were at most 15” long, 9” high and on Chic night were paraded around on their leashes near the Martini Bar in tuxedos! We also saw them earlier in a baby stroller. We eventually came up with a theory as to why they were even allowed to be on the ship, but they definitely made for great conversation with the crew. 😎

Perhaps those same owners and Yorkies were with us on a transatlantic 3 years ago.    It was a riot...they even went on some excursions.   Guess we will never know.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! I’m glad you were able to tag along! We definitely have had fun cruising again on this wonderful ship and to be honest, we’re glad we did it now rather than waiting until our Nov cruise on the Apex. We wish we could always sail on ships that were around 40% of capacity, but we know one day they will ramp back up once the pandemic is in everyone’s rearview mirror. But it definitely has created some memories we will not soon forget, to include some we haven’t mentioned.

Like wondering why an older couple was allowed to have a pair of Yorkshire Terrier “service dogs” onboard the last 2 legs that were at most 15” long, 9” high and on Chic night were paraded around on their leashes near the Martini Bar in tuxedos! We also saw them earlier in a baby stroller. We eventually came up with a theory as to why they were even allowed to be on the ship, but they definitely made for great conversation with the crew. 😎

I saw them last week.  I couldn't figure it out, either.  The dogs were clearly not service animals as they were being paraded around in the strollers you mentioned.  I spoke with one of the crew about them.  And, he just shrugged his shoulders.

That was the only thing that marred a great cruise.

I'm a dog lover.  But, they had no business on the ship because they served no legitimate purpose.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I saw them last week.  I couldn't figure it out, either.  The dogs were clearly not service animals as they were being paraded around in the strollers you mentioned.  I spoke with one of the crew about them.  And, he just shrugged his shoulders.

I'm a dog lover.  But, they had no business on the ship because they served no legitimate purpose.

So maybe i can bring Reggie . He's a "service" animal. He believes everyone exists to service him. (And he also serves no legitimate purpose, so he's just like those Yorkies.)

IMG_20210827_142524.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Smmessineo said:

So maybe i can bring Reggie . He's a "service" animal. He believes everyone exists to service him. (And he also serves no legitimate purpose, so he's just like those Yorkies.)

IMG_20210827_142524.jpg

Mine does serve a legitimate purpose....to expect "treats" every hour of every day.....

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Interesting side note. The new illusionist, Jason Bishop, that performed on the fourth day of this leg used a small dog in his act that looked identical to the small dogs we saw being paraded around and riding in the stroller. Ironically, Jason Bishop only had that one show and he, along with the two older “doggie chaperones” as well as the dogs disappeared after we stopped in Cozumel. Could they have jumped ship over to the Adventure of the Seas as it was docked in Cozumel at the same time? Very coincidental I must say. 😎

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, luvthebeach703 said:

Ken, in luminae for the 3 weeks did you sit in the same part of the restaurant or same table with the same waiter/assistant waiter or did you move around?

Initially, for the first two days we were seated at various tables for 2 by the window. However, since we had to pass an antigen test at the end of each leg before we were allowed to continue, and a few people have a tendency to cough when they sit down to eat for some reason (twitch, twitch), we asked to be seated in a remote area where the chances were very slim that anyone would ever be seated next to us. Without hesitation they found us that table and it’s been ours ever since! The DW was quite happy about that! 😎

• Like 5

Thanks. On our b2b July 3rd for lunch and dinner we sat in the same area, 1 of 3 tables just depending on which was open at the time. Did either of you order anything not on the menu or special requests to vary things up? What was your best dessert in luminae?

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I am so confused. We just heard over the Carnival ship loud speakers that their passengers are now allowed to leave the ship, and there are A LOT of passengers now debarking, but of course have to wear a mask …

However, folks on the Edge are only allowed to go ashore if you are on a Celebrity sponsored excursion. It appears some cruise ships interpret the Nassau rules one way while others interpret them totally different. Should be interesting to see what happens as our last day in port evolves. 😎

image.jpg

We made an interesting observation as we were standing under one of those covered areas between the ships waiting for our 1 pm boat ride. As the various Carnival passengers were coming back to the ship after visiting Nassau on their own, most of them either had their masks in their hand or in their pocket - UNTIL - they started walking up the gangway. By the time they got to end of the gangway and ready to enter the ship, their mask was back on and properly positioned over their nose and mouth. BTW the Carnival Magic just started sailing out of Ft Lauderdale, so you would think the same rules in Nassau would apply to both ships.

In any event we may not be allowed to wander around Nassau on our own, but at least we don’t have to wear a mask while walking around the Edge! 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Totally agree. Love dogs, but not on cruise ships on vacation, unless they are truly service dogs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks Ken for a great review and answering some of my questions. Those last 3 weeks certainly went by fast, and I’m sure it went by even faster for you. Looking forward to boarding tomorrow for our B2B!!! 

7 minutes ago, luvthebeach703 said:

Thanks. On our b2b July 3rd for lunch and dinner we sat in the same area, 1 of 3 tables just depending on which was open at the time. Did either of you order anything not on the menu or special requests to vary things up? What was your best dessert in luminae?

No, we usually tried some of the various tasty entrees (fish, chicken or beef), but never made any special requests or ordered anything from the other MDR menus at the other end of the ship. Although we did eat at the SRs on occasion from time to time. Other folks thought about ordering from the MDR menus, but when they heard the meal may not be hot when it would arrive, they seemed to shy away from the idea.

We did make one special request, kind of, on Chic nights which worked out nicely. We would order two entrees to form a combined surf and turf entree and they were quite happy to do that. But our waiter did say if we did have a unique special request, they just needed 24 hours notice.  

My DW’s favorite dessert in the Luminae was the Chocolate Napoleon, but all of their chocolate desserts were great in my opinion. But then I’m a guy, so what do I know. 😎

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

Thanks Ken for a great review and answering some of my questions. Those last 3 weeks certainly went by fast, and I’m sure it went by even faster for you. Looking forward to boarding tomorrow for our B2B!!! 

You’re going to have a great time as it’s a beautiful ship, so many great places to eat, and a ton of things to do!! 😎

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just heard from the Captain that the two COVID cases were disembarked this morning in Nassau and flown home on a chartered jet and are doing fine.

Thanks for update.  I have heard that is what they are doing at the company expense so I am very impressed.

• Like 2

@Ken the cruiser...I had that Chocolate Napoleon.  Agree with your wife.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

I actually had the same table for both my cruises, even though they were only 3 weeks apart.  I was seated in the far left corner, by the window, table for 2 (although it was just me).

One night, I just felt like a steak.  Sure enough, told my waiter and, voila, I had a very tasty rib-eye that was not on the menu.

They aim to please.

@Ken the cruiserThank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful live review! Believe me, to someone who is desperately missing the rolling tide and sea breeze, your posts are a blessing. Thanks to you, @graphicguyand @aring75I may hang on long enough to board my next cruise in October😂 Cheers to you and your DW🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tayana Freedom 45 said:

Which chocolate desserts/treats from which venues met her chocoholic standards? 

I just asked her and the Eden “dinner” chocolate dessert was her favorite, although she wouldn’t go there again just for that as there just wasn’t that much of variety as far as the main menu goes. 

Second place goes to the Eden lunch chocolate cake dessert. She initially loved the brownies until they added nuts, then they just became regular brownies. But their chocolate cake was always amazing!

Those were the most memorable to her. 

40 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just asked her and the Eden “dinner” chocolate dessert was her favorite, although she wouldn’t go there again just for that as there just wasn’t that much of variety as far as the main menu goes. 

Second place goes to the Eden lunch chocolate cake dessert. She initially loved the brownies until they added nuts, then they just became regular brownies. But their chocolate cake was always amazing!

Those were the most memorable to her. 

I understand her love of chocolate. Many years ago, on a cruise ( not Celebrity) it was a great cruise except for a lack of chocolate desserts.😮 I mentioned this in the mid-cruise comment card , jokingly. The next day , a beautiful, tasty chocolate cake was delivered to our stateroom. 

I will be looking for that cake in Eden this week! What is life without chocolate!

• Like 2

One final question.  I think you mentioned taking some clothes to your car during one of the turnarounds.  Where did you park and how long a walk from the parking to the terminal entrance?

It's been wonderful to have you and graphic guy posting on these cruises.  I hope someone on the next cruise keeps it going.  It makes the wait til Sept 11 feel not so long.

• Like 3