Ft Lauderdale hotel to cruise ship pier: any taxi company?

kokopelli-az

We decided to take a taxi from our hotel (Courtyard at the airport, 400 Gull Stream) to the cruise port this Sunday (Aug 8).   (Uber is $71 because we need the XL size vehicle.)

Is there any particular taxi company (I see there are several) we should be calling for our ride or just let the hotel call whichever company they usually call?   And is booking our ride on-line through the taxi company's website reliable?   

I would really like our ride to show up when we need to leave and I am reading about driver shortages ......

Edited by kokopelli-az

I have used Yellow Cab and have found them to be reliable, drivers are courteous, and the taxis properly maintained and clean.  Whether they can supply a size of vehicle that you need, I don't know.  Check their website and/or call the Company is my suggestion.  

You can also ask your hotel for a recommendation.  We've done that in other ports. 

I have to say that $71 for an Uber XL seems absurd for a trip of less than 10 miles and 15 minutes.  I know transportation prices have gone up.  Pre-covid we could take a standard size uber from Miami Airport to Pompano Beach - a distance of more than 40 miles and 1 hour or longer - for $50.

Does the hotel not have their own shuttle?  We have not stayed there, but at several other hotels, all of which had shuttles to the port.  We liked that because there was no fear of a taxi not showing up or not finding the hotel; the hotel shuttle pulled up, we boarded, we got to the port.

In Fort Lauderdale on the day of sailing we have found it difficult to find a van type vehicle from the taxi companies.  On one occasion we had preordered a taxi van for ride from hotel to port.  Waited more than an hour.  Was told vans were in short supply at hotels.  Vans mostly tied up picking up passengers at port.

Next time we used Uber.  No problem. 

Bob (and Terry)