Any Canadian Cruising???....doing alot of dreaming

Kelownabccan

with the news getting worse each day I doubt that we will be going to the States or a cruise anytime soon.....my sister told me to look at the american cdc site and they color code ships....ones close to us seem to be in the "orange range".....yuk.....and to boot in Kelowna right now instead of snow falling out of the sky we have ash.....forest fires all around us......almost have to wear a mask just to go in the back yard to stop a sore throat.....wow.....no time to travel "me thinks"....lol

No plans to cruise.  Absolutely no plans to travel to the US or even change planes in the US.  Same for the UK.

Our flight to Europe has three possibles.  Change planes in Toronto, Chicago, or London in order to fly direct to our final destination.   

Toronto is the most expensive but this will be our choice.

Edited by iancal

On 8/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, Lady Arwen said:

We no longer do cruises out of the US ( Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, etc) as we have done so many in the past.  We now cruise almost exclusively in Europe and for a minimum of 2+ weeks.  The fjords are breathtaking!  Still checking other insurance companies,  but will likely take Medipac.

Same for us. Cruises to Europe for the  future. That Northern Europe cruise - Baltic’s, British Isles is breathtaking. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dog said:

Same for us. Cruises to Europe for the  future. That Northern Europe cruise - Baltic’s, British Isles is breathtaking. 

Doing another Baltic cruise in May out of Copenhagen.  Spending three days there prior to cruise.  Fingers crossed all goes well!  Can’t wait to sail into Oslo!

I seem to be reading between the lines that hardly any Canadians are cruising.....am I reading things wrong....

This news from CBC sends shivers up my spine....I must be spineless to want to go cruising until next year now....lol

Twenty-seven people aboard a Carnival cruise tested positive for COVID-19 just before the ship made a stop in Belize City this week, according to the Belize Tourism Board.

The positive cases were among 26 crew members and one passenger on the Carnival Vista, which is carrying over 1,400 crew and nearly 3,000 passengers, the board said in a statement. The ship arrived Wednesday in Belize City.

All 27 people were vaccinated, had mild or no symptoms, and were in isolation, according to the statement. The tourism board said 99.98 per cent of the ship's crew was vaccinated, as well as 96.5 per cent of its passengers.

On 8/7/2021 at 5:53 PM, Kelownabccan said:

My wife and I sure want to cruise again and have booked then cancelled a couple as the border remains closed....no driving....we can fly with so much hassle it is hardly worth the effort and the extra stress.....any tips for a west coast couple....have lots of FCC's from Princess and HAL from cruises that were stopped early in the COVID years.....this seem to be going on and on and on.....both luckily have the same dose....lucky us....who would have known...

Tips for Canadian please....lol......

We’ll, I just reread some of the rules for Canadians and travel. The main one for me is that Canada is still not recommending ANY travel for nonessential reasons, which also means that you cannot get medical insurance, particularly for Covid related reasons!!!  So, as far as I am concerned this is a definitive NO for cruising. I have also just cancelled my upcoming cruise in November!

5 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

We’ll, I just reread some of the rules for Canadians and travel. The main one for me is that Canada is still not recommending ANY travel for nonessential reasons, which also means that you cannot get medical insurance, particularly for Covid related reasons!!!  So, as far as I am concerned this is a definitive NO for cruising. I have also just cancelled my upcoming cruise in November!

Actually, you can get insurance coverage for covid.  Bluecross has lifted the their ban on cruiseship coverage and we looked at a few others, too.  We’re taking the Platinum Insurance with Princess for cancellation purposes and Medipac Travel for medical coverage.  Our cruises are booked for 2022, so hopefully by then other restrictions will be lifted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, you can get insurance coverage for covid.  Bluecross has lifted the their ban on cruiseship coverage and we looked at a few others, too.  We’re taking the Platinum Insurance with Princess for cancellation purposes and Medipac Travel for medical coverage.  Our cruises are booked for 2022, so hopefully by then other restrictions will be lifted.

Thanks for your info. I still do find the whole thing about insurance so confusing. As I say, we have cancelled our cruise on the new Enchanted Princess and will wait for calmer times, hopefully ahead, before cruising again.  This will also probably be in Europe, as I am not liking what I am hearing out of Florida. I sincerely hope you all have wonderful, safe cruises to wherever!

8 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

Thanks for your info. I still do find the whole thing about insurance so confusing. As I say, we have cancelled our cruise on the new Enchanted Princess and will wait for calmer times, hopefully ahead, before cruising again.  This will also probably be in Europe, as I am not liking what I am hearing out of Florida. I sincerely hope you all have wonderful, safe cruises to wherever!

Thanks and the same to you!    We are also booked on Enchanted for both cruises in Europe.  We totally understand your hesitation to cruise out of Florida, and we will not be doing so for the foreseeable future.  You should come on Enchanted with us in May to the Baltics!  We need more Canadians!

Apologies if this has already been addressed. Has anyone seen any mention of when the current requirement for testing to fly home may be dropped? Has the federal gvt published any timeline for its elimination, are there any rumors, or is it being left completely open-ended, and it will "end when it ends"? This is one of the many concerns we have in deciding whether to keep or cancel our late November sailing. Thanks...

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Apologies if this has already been addressed. Has anyone seen any mention of when the current requirement for testing to fly home may be dropped? Has the federal gvt published any timeline for its elimination, are there any rumors, or is it being left completely open-ended, and it will "end when it ends"? This is one of the many concerns we have in deciding whether to keep or cancel our late November sailing. Thanks...

It would certainly be nice to know.  Unfortunately I feel like it will end when it ends.

15 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I presume that you know that Princess will do that "going home" test on the ship for free, if it is still a requirement by the CDN Government.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:07 PM, Kelownabccan said:

I seem to be reading between the lines that hardly any Canadians are cruising.....am I reading things wrong....

This news from CBC sends shivers up my spine....I must be spineless to want to go cruising until next year now....lol

Twenty-seven people aboard a Carnival cruise tested positive for COVID-19 just before the ship made a stop in Belize City this week, according to the Belize Tourism Board.

The positive cases were among 26 crew members and one passenger on the Carnival Vista, which is carrying over 1,400 crew and nearly 3,000 passengers, the board said in a statement. The ship arrived Wednesday in Belize City.

All 27 people were vaccinated, had mild or no symptoms, and were in isolation, according to the statement. The tourism board said 99.98 per cent of the ship's crew was vaccinated, as well as 96.5 per cent of its passengers.

One thing that I’ve not heard is if they are fully vaccinated.  Clearly the passenger was, but what about the crew?  Maybe they are too but I’m not sure.  As far as it sending shivers down your spine I don’t understand that at all.  If you do the calculations of positive cases to amount of passengers and crew on the ship it’s probably a way lower percentage rate than most cities including Kelowna.  Does being in Kelowna send shivers down your spine? Just curious.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

26 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

I presume that you know that Princess will do that "going home" test on the ship for free, if it is still a requirement by the CDN Government.

You presume correctly. I presume you are aware of the fun that Youtuber Don from Ottawa had a few weeks back in getting his test done by Celebrity. He was trapped in Florida for four days because of Celebrity and Air Canada "issues" Sorry, not willing to add this testing to long list of other anti-inducements to sail.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

One thing that I’ve not heard is if they are fully vaccinated.  Clearly the passenger was, but what about the crew?  Maybe they are too but I’m not sure.  As far as it sending shivers down your spine I don’t understand that at all.  If you do the calculations of positive cases to amount of passengers and crew on the ship it’s probably a way lower percentage rate than most cities including Kelowna.  Does being in Kelowna send shivers down your spine? Just curious.

You bet....we are the hot spot for the province now....more new cases here than the rest....people have been told to not come here....lol......but who listens anymore.....covid fatigue has seemed to take over.....really just stay away from all the downtown area, bars, restaurants....just like the old covid days of last year.....talk about going back in time......

as far as cruising.....want to go....but just too many balls to get in a row to enjoy ourselves....will just wait it seems.....the cruise in the Baltic sounds nice....one of our last "bucket" trips to do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I read about it and all 26 crew members were fully vaccinated and asymptomatic. This is actually a good thing because it demonstrates how frequently they’re testing the crew. They want to contain any infections just as soon as they happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lizabu said:

I read about it and all 26 crew members were fully vaccinated and asymptomatic. This is actually a good thing because it demonstrates how frequently they’re testing the crew. They want to contain any infections just as soon as they happen.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It would certainly be nice to know.  Unfortunately I feel like it will end when it ends.

If you have been following the news, the federal election is on now and election day is SEP 20.  There is NO WAY the current requirements will be lifted before then.  Let's see if it is even something that is a question on the trail or debated about.