Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

1 hour ago, Frenchberet said:

At breakfast in the World Cafe we met a couple and started chatting about the food.  The woman shared that they ate all their meals there because her husband refused to wear anything except jeans.  They spent thousands of dollars for the cruise but never experienced the Restaurant, Chef’s Table or Manfredi's, how sad. I couldn’t believe a man in his late 70s didn’t own a real pair of pants.  Pack some Dockers or travel pants and enjoy your trip.

Has it occured to you that maybe it's his business?

• Like 5

I love cruising because I have an excuse to "dress up".  

Funny story -- several years ago my husband and I drove through Canada and stayed in the Fairmont hotels.  We were in Banff and he was dressed in khakis, a proper shirt and blazer.  But he had on boat shoes and we were refused entrance to the restaurant because of his shoes.  They (then) required non-boat or deck shoes.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, broker1217 said:

Just wear a pair of regular pants. They are lighter, cooler and take less room to pack.

I would skip bringing jeans and focus on pants that work for all venues at all times--more versatile.

Same for shirts--skip t-shirts, and bring polo shirts as your most casual. They work for day-time at the pool, on excursions or for any restaurant in the PM. For exercise, bring a performance fabric golf shirt.

Why take more clothes than you need to?

Because wearing dress pants or Dockers isn't really comfortable while riding an ATV or hiking or whale watching?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

You don't take a shower before your evening meal?

Not the point. He said, "I would skip bringing jeans and focus on pants that work for all venues at all times--more versatile. " Dress pants don't work on the excursions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KarNog said:

Not the point. He said, "I would skip bringing jeans and focus on pants that work for all venues at all times--more versatile. " Dress pants don't work on the excursions.

One pair of pants are all you are allowed?

The thing I'm not keen on is the idea of not permitting sleeveless dresses for the ladies--requiring sweaters or shrugs. Personally, I wear them because my upper arms are not toned, but that's my personal decision. If someone wants to wear a stylish sleeveless dress to dinner, why should that not be allowed? Their dress code reads as if this would be a violation. Is it treated as such?

6 minutes ago, misha227 said:

The thing I'm not keen on is the idea of not permitting sleeveless dresses for the ladies--requiring sweaters or shrugs. Personally, I wear them because my upper arms are not toned, but that's my personal decision. If someone wants to wear a stylish sleeveless dress to dinner, why should that not be allowed? Their dress code reads as if this would be a violation. Is it treated as such?

where does it say that we can't wear a sleeveless dress to dinner?  I am only bringing sleeveless dresses!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rizello said:

where does it say that we can't wear a sleeveless dress to dinner?  I am only bringing sleeveless dresses!

It doesn't!  The "no sleeveless" might apply to excursions that visit religious sites:

"Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealing."

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KarNog said:

"I would SKIP bringing jeans and focus on pants that work for all venues at all times--more versatile." is precisely what he said. He said nothing about allowance.

If you are so attached to your jeans, by all means bring them.

There are lots of better performing options, including for active excursions, that are not jeans or dress pants. 

Look at Cabela or REI-great options that are way more functional than jeans. Some could double for pants for dinner.

Jeans aren’t great—-cotton holds water and makes you feel sweaty in hot weather and take forever to dry. They stay damp in cool weather too which is miserable. They weigh twice as much and are bulky for packing.

They are not , to me, the best choice for travel. But bring what you feel you need. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JeriGail said:

It doesn't!  The "no sleeveless" might apply to excursions that visit religious sites:

"Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealing."

It also says: "There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse."

I was interpreting the request for a "sweater or blouse" for the ladies as a request for nothing sleeveless. I guess that's not the intent? Thanks for clarifying! 

4 hours ago, misha227 said:

It also says: "There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse."

I was interpreting the request for a "sweater or blouse" for the ladies as a request for nothing sleeveless. I guess that's not the intent? Thanks for clarifying! 

Dress can be sleeveless or not. 😁

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

You don't take a shower before your evening meal?

If I took a shower before my evening meal, it would be cold and my partner would be asleep on the couch before I sat down to eat. Who cooks your food? lol

• Like 1

We were on the Viking Star twice.. the inaugural cruise and the winter in the Mediterranean. Maybe because it was cold jeans were allowed. The Restaurant was the buffet on both those cruises. And, nope not a Norwegian cruise. 🙂 We have no problem wearing slacks!!! just want to make sure we have the right attire. 

38 minutes ago, Kerrfamily said:

We were on the Viking Star twice.. the inaugural cruise and the winter in the Mediterranean. Maybe because it was cold jeans were allowed. The Restaurant was the buffet on both those cruises. And, nope not a Norwegian cruise. 🙂 We have no problem wearing slacks!!! just want to make sure we have the right attire. 

Okay--that explains it. You were eating in the buffet which is World Cafe and has a different dress code than the main restaurant. The main restaurant is The Restaurant (sit down, table service) and it does have an evening dress code that prohibits jeans.

Thanks for clarifying where you ate!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, misha227 said:

Sleeveless dresses or tops are most definitely not an evening dress code violation.  Not sure where you saw that, but you'll see sleeveless everywhere in the evening.  I always wear a shrug or pashmina or something like that because I'm always cold, but I'd say a healthy minority of ladies I've seen in all the evening dining venues are sleeveless on any given night. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, misha227 said:

Ha!  I see how you could read it that way, but no, the intent is that you can wear a dress, OR a skirt/slacks with a sweater/blouse on the top.  But now that you point it out, I see the other way to read it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

Okay--that explains it. You were eating in the buffet which is World Cafe and has a different dress code than the main restaurant. The main restaurant is The Restaurant (sit down, table service) and it does have an evening dress code that prohibits jeans.

Thanks for clarifying where you ate!

One of the many perks of the World Café! We often ate there after a long day of excursioning, in part because we found it relaxing to be able to stay informal. Dressing up is nice once in a while but not every night. 

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 3

On 8/9/2021 at 1:29 PM, Frenchberet said:

I couldn’t believe a man in his late 70s didn’t own a real pair of pants.  Pack some Dockers or travel pants and enjoy your trip.

my husband wore dress slacks and suit jacket for 50+ years (he worked 7 days a week for many years) in his medical practice.  If he wants to wear jeans now, he has dang well earned the right to.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, davidsdesire said:

my husband wore dress slacks and suit jacket for 50+ years (he worked 7 days a week for many years) in his medical practice.  If he wants to wear jeans now, he has dang well earned the right to.

And drive 90 in a 45 zone.  Dang right!😎

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, davidsdesire said:

Yeah. There should be a special card given to guests who have worn jackets for 50+ years, as a doctor. If they show up in jeans and someone raises an eyebrow just show the card and everyone knows it's OK.

I think veterans should be included, as well. And people who feel insulted when they are asked to not wear jeans. And people who feel that enforced clothing, any clothing, are a clear sign of imperialism.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Yeah. There should be a special card given to guests who have worn jackets for 50+ years, as a doctor. If they show up in jeans and someone raises an eyebrow just show the card and everyone knows it's OK.

I think veterans should be included, as well. And people who feel insulted when they are asked to not wear jeans. And people who feel that enforced clothing, any clothing, are a clear sign of imperialism.

nice to see that rudeness for no reason pervades every space on the internet.  Thanks for the warm welcome, pal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, davidsdesire said:

Yup, he has a right (I think it’s under the First Amendment) to do whatever he chooses, regardless of the “rules”. Our forefathers fought for the right to live in anarchy! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1