PCR or Antigen test required

Wuzzle10

Check your airports for testing sites.  I registered at Philly but couldn't schedule an appointment yet...It will be 9/23.  According to the letter this morning, it seems we could get tested on Wednesday here but it falls well outside the three day with the time difference.  I'd rather know before I get on a plane to fly to Athens.  I know three people right now with breakthrough Covid.  We had the 'rapid' test before we went to USVI in May at Walgreens (but actually came from a Walgreens that is affiliated with a local hospital) for $150 each.  Actually I think the two tests are better because it gives you a better snapshot of possible infection. We're masking up!

Goal posts moved again.  Todays email says PCR or Antigen.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
Boarding Passes and other electronic documents are now available for this
voyage in the Seabourn Source app or through Online Guest Registration. To
access them, make sure everyone in your travel party accepts the Cruise
Contract and COVID-19 Risk Notice. (If you previously accepted the Cruise
Contract, please do so again.) To learn more about Seabourn Source and download
the recent update to your device, please visit http://*****/SBNSource.
You must bring original, physical proof of COVID-19 vaccination and a negative
viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within three days of embark to
cruise check-in. For a checklist of important items to complete for your voyage
and a summary of health and safety guidelines, visit https://*****/3yCR5JQ.
All guests must complete the Greek government's Passenger Locator Form (PLF)
before arriving in Greece. The PLF and full details are available on the Visit
Greece app and at https://travel.gov.gr.

2 hours ago, mcondition said:

there is no "Rapid-PCR"  its either PCR molecular test or rapid antigen test. The sample for the PCR goes to the biologist and between 12-24 hours needed for results. So if seabourn requires PCR, you have to be tested the day prior to embarkation.

mcondition - 

I, and many people here, would appreciate some info from you.  Our friends are arriving in Athens a few days before the cruise.  I know they can get the PCR test at the airport and get the results by email the next day.  However, it would be more convenient  to be tested in central Athens so they don't have to go back to the airport for the test.  So far, I have found this list of clinics, mostly in the suburbs.  We are all staying in Koukaki.

https://payments.iatriko.gr/schedule-en.html

Do you know of any clinics or labs in central Athens that administer the PCR test?

PS- We plan to get tested at the airport on Thursday when we fly in from the islands, but our friends will be in Athens from Monday on.

Highplanes drifter.  Could you let us know the date of your cruise?  We embark on 9/11 and did not get a new email. Our latest was from Tuesday which still states pCR only.  To clarify. There are some labs that offer what they call a “rapid” PCR. Which is a PCR test done either in house which is very expensive or sent to a lab expedited.  

3 hours ago, mcondition said:

there is no "Rapid-PCR"  its either PCR molecular test or rapid antigen test.

There actually are rapid PCR tests. They're not common -- most PCR tests must be sent to a lab and results come in 1-2 days -- but rapid PCR tests exist. There is one test by Visby Medical which requires no lab equipment for processing which was approved by the FDA earlier this year, and there may be others. There are an increasing number of testing sites which offer rapid PCR tests with results in under an hour. (Here's one I looked at in my area.)

2 hours ago, CRUISER94044 said:

Highplanes drifter.  Could you let us know the date of your cruise?  We embark on 9/11 and did not get a new email. Our latest was from Tuesday which still states pCR only.  To clarify. There are some labs that offer what they call a “rapid” PCR. Which is a PCR test done either in house which is very expensive or sent to a lab expedited.  

We are on the Sept. 25, 14 day cruise.  I'm  going to touch base with my TA over the next few days to see if she has some words of wisdom.  I'm wondering if these 3 conflicting messages over a one week span are due to: policy change, fat finger error, incompetence, or people running around with their hair on fire. Perhaps all of the above.  But, as I keep telling myself - if you want to travel, get used to it.  We have years ahead of us before things settle down.

We just returned from 3 weeks in French Polynesia. We needed a PCR test to get in along with government approval QR code, testing upon arrival, departure testing, and occasional mask wearring. It was totally worth those inconveniences. Except for being nervous about the sensitive PCR test all went smoothly. In fact, so smoothly from departing the plane to getting in the taxi, 45 minutes. That included document review, covid testing, immigration, and luggage. It was very impressive.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

mcondition - 

I, and many people here, would appreciate some info from you.  Our friends are arriving in Athens a few days before the cruise.  I know they can get the PCR test at the airport and get the results by email the next day.  However, it would be more convenient  to be tested in central Athens so they don't have to go back to the airport for the test.  So far, I have found this list of clinics, mostly in the suburbs.  We are all staying in Koukaki.

https://payments.iatriko.gr/schedule-en.html

Do you know of any clinics or labs in central Athens that administer the PCR test?

PS- We plan to get tested at the airport on Thursday when we fly in from the islands, but our friends will be in Athens from Monday on.

Hi, this lab is very close and the same chain that SB also uses for pre embarkation testing and PCR costs 60e and is usually available in 12 hours

https://bioiatriki.gr/kallithea

I just saw this article about outbreaks among vaccinated people on a Carnival cruise ship out of Galveston, Texas.  This may be  the reason for the increased testing protocol:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/08/13/carnival-vista-cruise-covid-cases/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0PXDNSOSAe4qV20aXclMH3E_u6YoDwPvJ4FdgJ-vVOGG0RWgD_GvsgEwM

• Like 1

Can’t believe the poster who stated there was no PCR testing in Washington, DC!   There certainly are many sites not even including the two airports.   Just go to the DC government site, they are encouraging everyone to get tested and vaccinated, sometimes at the same site.  We received the rapid PCR test, expensive but worth it with results within 30 minutes.   I would not return your self test kit, take it with you or keep it at home.   The Pandemic is not over.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:45 PM, jjs217 said:

We are sailing out of Barcelona in October on the Ovation.  I just talked to a Seabourn rep, and she said the test has to be done within 72 hours (Barcelona time) - so I would assume it is the same with Athens - within 72 hours Athens time.  

We are also on the Barcelona to Lisbon sailing on the Ovation. (Nice to meet you) We are staying one night in Barcelona prior to boarding the ship. Just started looking into PCR tests here (in FL) as we understand from more recent Seabourn email that it must be PCR. Will continue to follow this forum as well as the Seabourn Ovation 10/23 Board to see if any updates. Joanne and Alan

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 6:45 PM, jjs217 said:

We are sailing out of Barcelona in October on the Ovation.  I just talked to a Seabourn rep, and she said the test has to be done within 72 hours (Barcelona time) - so I would assume it is the same with Athens - within 72 hours Athens time.  

This is the wording from the Seabourn website regarding the timing of the test and it makes it easier than the 72 hour Barcelona time. We are also on that cruise and the following crossing.

What is considered 1-3 days prior to my cruise’s departure?
The 1-3 day period is 1-3 days before your cruise’s departure. The 1-3 day timeframe provides you with more flexibility than a 72-hour timeframe. By using the 1-3 day window, your test validity does not depend on the time of your embarkation or the time of the day that your test was administered. For example, if your cruise departure is 4:00 PM on a Saturday, you may board with a negative COVID-19 test that was administered any time on the prior Wednesday through Friday.