My first Princess Cruise - How Formal is Formal Night ?

downundermatt

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

I can't imagine a restaurant I would want to eat in that required a tie.  Here in Oregon we say the only times you can't dress in jeans and t-shirts are weddings and funerals

But that is you. A lot of cities around the globe are more formal than Oregon and the Western U.S. There are still places that require a certain level of dress.

I don't even take long pants when I go to Maui and there is no restaurant that wouldn't seat me.

In NYC, Paris, London, etc there are places I want to eat that you absolutely have to have a coat and tie as a bare minimum. Tokyo too, which I believe is on the OP's itinerary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

In NYC, Paris, London, etc there are places I want to eat that you absolutely have to have a coat and tie as a bare minimum. Tokyo too, which I believe is on the OP's itinerary.

Amen!  And we do enjoy dining in those types of restaurants from time to time...

On 8/20/2021 at 2:29 PM, mina said:

My husband wears a nice Cuban guayabera shirt on formal nights with dockers.  No need to wear a tie if you do not want to.  Many cultures do not view a tie as formal wear.  Love those guayabera shirts.  

My husband went to a guayabera shirt 😉 years ago & has never looked back. It makes for much easier packing & comfort on any formal night.

Although Princess has a formal night attire definition, they also include a minimal exception for those that don't wish to dress up. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 1:58 PM, Kay S said:

One of my favorite memories was the gentleman from Scotland who showed up in full dress kilt.  He looked fabulous!

I saw a cutie, too! He was about 80 and was wearing his dress white uniform (enlisted, not officer) from the Navy. It still fit!!

DH was in the Navy and he could no way wear one of his old uniforms (140 dripping wet in his 20s, today hes almost double that 😲).