Single supplement eliminated on my trip, but I can’t take advantage of it!

Chilicatx

I’m on the Viking Sky as a solo traveler on the August 28 Iceland cruise. I booked it about 3 weeks ago and paid the single supplement (which is several thousand dollars). That’s fine, I’m used to it.

Now Viking has eliminated the supplement on the remaining Iceland cruises for most cabin categories. Great, right?

Nope, they will not adjust my fare. 
Is there anything I can do? Has anyone run into this before? Seems to be a pretty shabby way to treat a solo cruiser.

1 hour ago, Chilicatx said:

I’m on the Viking Sky as a solo traveler on the August 28 Iceland cruise. I booked it about 3 weeks ago and paid the single supplement (which is several thousand dollars). That’s fine, I’m used to it.

Now Viking has eliminated the supplement on the remaining Iceland cruises for most cabin categories. Great, right?

Is there anything I can do? Has anyone run into this before? Seems to be a pretty shabby way to treat a solo cruiser.

This has been discussed extensively on other threads.

Viking is privately owned and is not a member of the CLIA, so do not follow the norms of the mass market mega ship owners. They march to their own drummer on a number of issues - not matching price reductions and earlier than normal payment in full dates are probably the worst.

While they don't match any price reductions, they also don't increase the price, when it increases. Since many cruises sell out early, prices tend to increase more than they are reduced. Both of our cruises have increased in price, the current one increasing by about $5,000.

Some have cancelled their booking, writing off the cancellation fees and then rebooking at the lower rate.

I would consider writing off cancellation fees and rebooking however I had to pay in full at the time of booking and the waived single supplement was waived within 3 weeks of sailing. They have me in a no win situation.

I have more than 200 nights on ships. 160 on Regent Seven Seas alone. This is my first Viking trip. With the attitude they’ve exhibited, it might possibly be my only. This is a very shabby way of treating passengers regardless of if they’re first time or have 35 years of sailing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chilicatx said:

I’d also like to emphasize that this “lower fare” only impacts solo travelers.

Perhaps they don’t value them?

Can’t you cancel and get a future cruise credit for what you have paid and then rebook at the lower rate. 

I thought the cut off for cancelling was 14 days not 21? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chilicatx said:

I’d also like to emphasize that this “lower fare” only impacts solo travelers.

Perhaps they don’t value them?

No, they don't.

I looked carefully at Viking Ocean when they started but their attitude to solos was so off-putting I didn't look for long.

I stayed with Silversea who treat their solos as valued guests with most sailings at 25% or 50% solo supp, and lots of onboard care and attention (if that's what you want).

Viking's current elimination of the solo supplement puzzles me a bit - I thought these welcome back cruises were selling well but maybe that's not so? Otherwise maybe they've realised that solos are actually a valuable and growing demographic and are belatedly reaching out to them? (But I doubt that)

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

Both Crystal and Silversea offer low single supplements but they are high end and have higher fares to begin with. The only reason Viking is offering a no single supplement is that they can't fill their ships during these trying times. I find it very shabby that they will not honor the new offer especially since their ships are sailing only partially full and people are now cancelling due to the Delta variant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

Both Crystal and Silversea offer low single supplements but they are high end and have higher fares to begin with. The only reason Viking is offering a no single supplement is that they can't fill their ships during these trying times. I find it very shabby that they will not honor the new offer especially since their ships are sailing only partially full and people are now cancelling due to the Delta variant.

I'd debate whether Crystal is 'high end' - I've sailed it and wasn't impressed - 'up market' yes, but 'high end' no.

Silversea may have a higher brochure price but by the time you count in the lower solo supplement and the excellent loyalty award scheme (better than most lines and I've cruised many of them), the bottom line is often cheaper than 'lower priced' lines (and Viking's brochure prices don't look much lower to me) and definitely much better value for money for a solo.

PS Viking's cynical U-turn to solos when they can't sell their cruises isn't making me feel any warmer to them. And they should definitely honour the eliminated solo supplement for the OP.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 3

In my experience (4 cruises with Viking), no changes can be made to your original booking agreement.  Some of the earlier Welcome Back cruises received the Silver Spirits package or free airfare, others did not.  I don’t think Viking is specifically trying to target solo travelers, it’s just their policy.  

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

No, they don't.

I looked carefully at Viking Ocean when they started but their attitude to solos was so off-putting I didn't look for long.

I stayed with Silversea who treat their solos as valued guests with most sailings at 25% or 50% solo supp, and lots of onboard care and attention (if that's what you want).

Viking's current elimination of the solo supplement puzzles me a bit - I thought these welcome back cruises were selling well but maybe that's not so? Otherwise maybe they've realised that solos are actually a valuable and growing demographic and are belatedly reaching out to them? (But I doubt that)

Agree with you that solos are a growing demographic.  I like traveling as solo.  Some of my friends (in our 40's) do too.  Too bad Viking is not an option (except for these Welcome Back cruises) for me when I want to travel by myself because they don't offer any reduced single supplement.  But I get that they have no problem in filling up their ships so they don't need to do that.  

On 8/11/2021 at 9:34 PM, Chilicatx said:

I think you're still within the 14 day cancel for any reason policy. Call them back and let them know you are going to cancel and rebook for the single supplement. I'm probably sure you've already tried but I'd keep calling until you get someone who will help. Good Luck!😊

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 9:34 PM, Chilicatx said:

Yes, the 100% single supplement is harsh and uninviting but OP's problem doesn't have as much to do with the single supplement or how single travelers may be treated as it it has everything to do with how Viking handles contracts. Viking treats all its guests the same way no matter how many people are in the cabin and with Viking, a contract is a contract. Once we make our deposit, negotiation time is over; the only way around it is to cancel the contract and start with a new booking. That is how they have always run their business.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, the 100% single supplement is harsh and uninviting but OP's problem doesn't have as much to do with the single supplement or how single travelers may be treated as it it has everything to do with how Viking handles contracts. Viking treats all its guests the same way no matter how many people are in the cabin and with Viking, a contract is a contract. Once we make our deposit, negotiation time is over; the only way around it is to cancel the contract and start with a new booking. That is how they have always run their business.

Negotiation is never over.  LOL  You can always try.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chilicatx said:

I am happy to report that Viking came through and refunded my single supplement. 

Glad you got it sorted. When I was unable to get insurance for Venus to Croatia in July, I was allowed to move to September and lower cost price matched. The itinerary however was to Greece, which 2 days after accepting, saw that Greece looked like it was turning red. I phoned and asked if I could go back to the original itinerary but was declined (without losing the price match.) The assistant I spoke to said her hands were tied, but advised to write to guest services, which I did and pleased to say they allowed me to do so. Have to say, I've been impressed to date with their handling of my booking, especially with it being a "welcome back" fare.