Babies and swimming

sharon&family

19 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

DCL does have the real deal lifeguards

4 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I would expect so, with so many kids onboard.  I think Royal does also, but I don't spend any/much time in their pools.

What are "real deal lifeguards"?  Certified?  By whom?  Or do they just stand there and look like lifeguards?

42 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Lifeguard label, red gear, tiny boards, do the side to side to side-up-down-up down pool scanning

I would love to get my DDs that gig!  Both of my DDs are lifeguard certified and have made the grand sum of $8 per hour at our local Y making sure kids don't drown.  Traveling on a cruise ship lifeguarding would be awesome!😎

47 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I would love to get my DDs that gig!  Both of my DDs are lifeguard certified and have made the grand sum of $8 per hour at our local Y making sure kids don't drown.  Traveling on a cruise ship lifeguarding would be awesome!😎

I’m sure they have other duties and don’t get $8 an hour (my son gets $15 but we are in NJ).

We were on Panorama and there was a family that setup one of these little 24inch baby pools. The child looked very happy to be in it. I did not see what they did with the water but I imagine you can dump it in the toilet when finished. All staff and passengers loved it. And you really don't need more than 1\2 of water, maybe even less.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Sunset-Glow-Baby-Pool/dp/B000OV0X3Y/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=baby+blow+up+pool+small&qid=1663950588&sprefix=baby+blow+up+%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-22

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m sure they have other duties and don’t get $8 an hour (my son gets $15 but we are in NJ).

It would be interesting to find out what other job on board a certified lifeguard would have.  If my DDs worked at a community pool they would get at least $12 here but the Y was where their friends worked.  

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Your kids are being grossly underpaid and are being taken advantage of.  In Las Vegas lifeguards average $12.74 per hour.  In Denver it is $15.88.  I know that working fast food is not a good gig but it pays $15 to $20 per hour in many places and all you have to worry about is not ruining the food and dealing w customers.  However since South Carolina is one of the states that has a minimum wage of $7.25 it isn't surprising what they pay lifeguards.

DON

6 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Your kids are being grossly underpaid and are being taken advantage of.  In Las Vegas lifeguards average $12.74 per hour.  In Denver it is $15.88.  I know that working fast food is not a good gig but it pays $15 to $20 per hour in many places and all you have to worry about is not ruining the food and dealing w customers.  However since South Carolina is one of the states that has a minimum wage of $7.25 it isn't surprising what they pay lifeguards.

DON

And the Y is not known for generous salaries.🤑

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

It would be interesting to find out what other job on board a certified lifeguard would have.  If my DDs worked at a community pool they would get at least $12 here but the Y was where their friends worked.  

First off, I don't think they're certified.  But, they would likely be classified as "hotel utilities", and would have responsibilities like cleaning the open deck areas, arranging loungers, taking out the trash, etc.

And, they would likely make less than $8/hour.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

First off, I don't think they're certified.  But, they would likely be classified as "hotel utilities", and would have responsibilities like cleaning the open deck areas, arranging loungers, taking out the trash, etc.

I'll tell my DDs to just cruise with mom.  Sounds like a lot more fun!  Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

My granddaughter worked in the capacity you describe as "hotel utilities" at a municipal pool in Broomfield CO.  She made at least $12.56 per hour since that is the minimum wage in Colorado.  Since this was her 2nd year at the job I believe that she made slightly more than minimum.

DON

My husband and I watched the kiddy splash area guard on our last cruise. He never stopped having to correct children and parents. Worse part was they ignored him all together and did what they wanted. My husband commented that the guy had one of the worse jobs on the ship. We felt sorry for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

My granddaughter worked in the capacity you describe as "hotel utilities" at a municipal pool in Broomfield CO.  She made at least $12.56 per hour since that is the minimum wage in Colorado.  Since this was her 2nd year at the job I believe that she made slightly more than minimum.

DON

But, on a foreign flag cruise ship, she would not make anywhere near that much.

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

And the Y is not known for generous salaries.🤑

On 9/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, ray98 said:

7 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

In our area, (second tier suburb of Minneapolis) the lifeguard jobs at the Y are in very high demand by teens as they pay really well. They start at $15 and after a year go to $17 and our minimum wage for under 18 is $10 something an hour.  Of course the fact that it’s a year round lifeguard gig is a huge plus too. Not many of those in MN. 😂

14 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

In our area, (second tier suburb of Minneapolis) the lifeguard jobs at the Y are in very high demand by teens as they pay really well. They start at $15 and after a year go to $17 and our minimum wage for under 18 is $10 something an hour.  Of course the fact that it’s a year round lifeguard gig is a huge plus too. Not many of those in MN. 😂

That's impressive!

2 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

The California beach life guards make six figures

13 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The California beach life guards make six figures

And NJ beach lifeguards make minimum wage, it’s insane. It’s hard to find them because unless you are local, you can’t afford a rental on that salary (my son and 11 friends rented a 3 bedroom 1 bath bottom of a house for $50,000 for 3 months).

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

And NJ beach lifeguards make minimum wage, it’s insane. It’s hard to find them because unless you are local, you can’t afford a rental on that salary (my son and 11 friends rented a 3 bedroom 1 bath bottom of a house for $50,000 for 3 months).

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/los-angeles-lifeguard-pay-tops-500000